Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Grinder bike thefts can be very fast

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Grinder bike thefts can be very fast

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-18, 10:22 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Society is very sick, when so many of its people rather steel then get and job and earn a living instead.
A stronger lock is like a bandaid. Need to get to root of the disease.
Funny bias, assuming thieves are unemployed. But, thar be politics ahead.
Old 12-19-18, 11:02 PM
AtomicNumber53

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
On a different topic, this is the reason why e-bikes won't catch on in the US because who's going to spend 2-4K on a bike that can be stolen in under 2 minutes or less?
Who would spend 2-4k on an e-bike when you can buy them already assembled for $500 to $1k??

But if you're really afraid of someone grabbing your e-bike.... there are kits like the Add-E and Go-E friction drive kits that make removal and re-attachment of both the motor and battery a super easy task. Or you could just get one of the many designs that hide the battery inside the frame? There's so many options with e-bikes, just as there are regular bikes. There's definitely something out there that could work for you... even under a grand!
Old 12-20-18, 07:42 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
The problem of bike theft is a human issue, not a material or technological one. There are a couple of options to minimize bike theft. One option is outlawing bike thieves. That is, they receive no legal protection or rights while engaged in the act of bike theft. Harsh perhaps but the position could be adopted on a trial model in some state with a prolific bike theft problem. Thieves would be taking their lives into their own hands. Think of something akin to double indemnity - you can't be charged for killing the same person twice. People commit murder in Texas anyways despite capital punishment, but I wonder what the rate would be if Texas didn't impose that penalty.

Just some pleasant Sunday morning thinking...
this!

It shouldn't be about riding ugly bikes, or hiding bikes, or making it harder to steal than the next guys.

It should be about changing the laws until stealing bikes will put the thieves on the Next Faces of Death episode.

we live in the society that we have created. Bigger locks just leads to bigger tools, and never fixes the problem.
Old 12-23-18, 03:26 AM
Ragel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BrocLuno

Sort of hate to say it because I like good looking bikes, but the best deterrent is rust and graffiti ... Make it look bad with mis-matched wheels, stickers, and rattle can paint; and they'll prolly just leave it alone ...
I want to build a bike like this, looks like crap, but still useful/decent to ride
Old 12-23-18, 07:27 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Been locking up bikes, including some nice ones, in plain view in the big city for more than 30 years. The only place I have had one stolen is from inside my house, while I was home and awake.