Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

AeroTech not what it used to be.

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-08, 06:15 PM
Ranger63

Bikes: mid 80s Ross Centaur converted to Alfine 11 09 motobecane imortal force, 83 Ross Paragon,81 Schwinn LeTour Tourist, 91 Paramount, 93 GT converted to city bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For those of us who've gone to aerotech out of loyalty (american owned and located)or neccessity
(who else carrys 4x/5x?) I have to say: I'm sorely disappointed in the shorts and designer shirt and crochette gloves I just recieved.
Having previously bought all 4 designer shirts (the peloton,the bear,the dragon and..the infamous pink flamingo)the lower level 8 panel shorts and the previous gloves,'what' I recieved was a lukewarm watered down version of the former.
Those opting for a jersey need to go up one size. The 3xl doesn't come close to the former 3xls.
The shorts...well,lets just say:I"m thankfull I only bought one pair. The elastic grippers on the legs are a band of stickum. The leg openings stopped having any elasticity after one washing (cold water, delicate wash, hung dry)
The gloves lacked even the most minimal of padding. (Performances crochette gloves are far superior for the same price)
Obviously,'times are hard' for american manufacturers looking to stay competitive.
Old 07-23-08, 08:13 PM
v1k1ng1001
Gorntastic!

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you're looking for an alternative short, I suggest Voler's products.

https://www.velowear.com/

Hammer always has a hot deal on their logo'd Voler stuff:

https://www.hammernutrition.com/za/HN...RY&CAT=CYCLING

Not sure what to tell you about the jerseys.
Old 07-23-08, 08:39 PM
Alathea
Mr. Frowny Man

Bikes: 2009 Giant Yukon single speed;2014 Foam Green Surly CrossCheck

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I hope you got a bum batch. Ive been saving up for some stuff from them. THe falconi shorts I got off the 'Bay aren't bad. Inner lining, coolmax pad, baggy outer (MTB shorts). Two pr. 62.00.

Have you contacted Aerotech, by chance?
Old 07-23-08, 08:49 PM
cohophysh
fishologist

Bikes: Diamondback MTB; Leader 736R

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey, if you want some decent jerseys check out freespiritwear.com. I have a 54 inch chest and the 3xl jerseys fit great

1990 Diamond Back MTB
2007 Leader 736R
www.cohocyclist.blogspot.com
https://www.loopd.com/members/cohocyclist/Default.aspx

Old 07-23-08, 08:54 PM
cooleric1234

Bikes: CAAD9-1, Windsor Cliff 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently contacted them and found out they'll be selling a bike short for tall men by September. That's the only place I've ever seen something like that, I'm definitely giving that a try.
Old 07-24-08, 01:27 AM
Mazama
Bikezilla

Bikes: Co-Motion Mazama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is not good news.
Old 07-24-08, 07:22 AM
bdinger
Chubby super biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm with those hoping this a fluke.
Old 07-24-08, 02:10 PM
jagraham
Senior Moment Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're unhappy with them, return them -- and let Aetotech know why. Mine are marked "Unconditionally Guaranteed".

Judy
Old 07-28-08, 11:15 PM
Ranger63

Bikes: mid 80s Ross Centaur converted to Alfine 11 09 motobecane imortal force, 83 Ross Paragon,81 Schwinn LeTour Tourist, 91 Paramount, 93 GT converted to city bike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unhappy/aero tech

Given the cost of producing clothing (especially in the U.S.)in todays market, complaining goes only so far.
Immediately after one ride in the shorts I came home and checked they against last years design.
I then contacted Aerotech and asked whether the Top Shelf shorts came in sizes larger than the stated 4-42 because I was sure the description of the top line short fit the old pair of shorts
The response came back that: design changes had been made to the Pro short (along with the if the shorts had not been worn I could return them...duh)and that ,no the top shelf shorts were not available in waist size above 40-42
I made comment on the custom jerseys 'downsizing' and shortened zipper. Again,'design changes'.
At which point,I posted my observations on bikeforums.
Not with the hope or intent of putting an american manufacturer out of business but to give a other side of the story observation to the glowing reports on Aerotech.
FWIW, I discovered Nashbar is now carrying the 41-43 waist sizing Performance Bike used to and I got a pair of their 8 panel 'house shorts' the other day.
The shorts are a duplicate of last years Aerotech Pro shorts..albeit with a slightly better pad.