Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Texas
Reload this Page >

Off Topic: Anyone have experience in Big Bend?

Search
Notices

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-08, 09:40 PM
v1k1ng1001
Gorntastic!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm planning my fall break and I've wanted to backpack for a few days in Big Bend National Park. Unfortunately I've seen very little information on the park beyond the basics.

What do you know about Big Bend? What are your experiences there, especially in the fall? Any information/leads would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-20-08, 10:29 PM
jk80world

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go Go Go! As long as you stay away during Spring Break you should have no problem getting a great camping spot in the "Basin!" My recomendation is to not research the park itself at all and just go and be surprised. The little town (I forgot the name) at the western entrance to the park is very laid back, friendly, and slightly eccentric. A few days in the Bend will definately recharge your batteries.
Old 08-20-08, 11:05 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I've been there, and would recommend it as well. I actually went at Christmas break, but had great weather there.

It's been several years, but I got a $3 package of info from the park itself that was very helpful.

The scout group I was with did some dayhiking in some of the canyons and also an overnight backpack up in the mountains and around the canyon rim. I'd have to hunt my map up to tell you the exact route.

Guadalupe Mountains National Park has some similar features, and is worth visiting as well.

One thing to keep in mind, is no campfires. I went up in the Guadalupe Mountains twice, around Halloween and around Thanksgiving, and got snowed on a bit, both times. But what I remember is that about 6:30 or so, it got dark, it was windy, no campfires, and there was nothing you could do but climb in the sleeping bag and wait 12 hours. There was also no water up high, and I ran out and had to hike about 5 miles down and 5 miles back up just to refill my water. I remember taking some star pictures with time exposures in Big Bend that came out pretty neat.
Old 08-20-08, 11:34 PM
grayloon

Bikes: 1983 Nishiki Cresta (original owner), 1987 Centurion Lemans RS, 1996 Gary Fisher X-Caliber, His and Hers Trek 800's, Schwinn beach cruiser woman's frame, and grandson's Huffy learner bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been to Big Bend at 5 times since the early 70's. Its worth the trip. Study Butte is the town at the Western entrance. I've camped in Chisos Basin and down at the campground by the river. Both were good. Spring...mid-March to late April...is my favorite time in the desert. Lots of cacti blooming and sweet smells. Fall can be good too, cooler weather. I'd avoid the park from June to mid-September unless you can get a campground in the Basin. Its hot. If you have a high clearance vehicle, there are some nice rocky/dirt roads to drive.

As for the Guadelupe Mountains, most people stay at the campground near El Capitan. They're missing some beautiful landscape on the back side of the park. Think you have to go to Carlsbad to get there, its a long way. But, there is a neat water fall with a pool you can play in and some very good camping, both in the official campground and along the road in. The area is remote, so bring your own supplies, including some extra gas.
Old 08-21-08, 01:57 AM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
If you get a chance I like Balmorhea and Davis mountains. Not great for riding
( chip seal was horrible) but gorgeous country. The pool/lake/spring at Balmorhea is very interesting,
clearest lake I've seen in texas. We teach scuba there in the winter.

marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 08-21-08, 07:57 AM
Creakyknees
ride lots be safe

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"very little information on the park beyond the basics" ???

uhh... there's tons of info about Big Bend out there. Have you tried Google?

But the above posts are good tips. If you have a good 4wd vehicle, get the backroads map from the ranger station and do some cruising. Plan on some incredible starry nights - it's one of the "darkest" areas in the lower 48 - least light pollution.
Old 08-21-08, 09:58 AM
txags92

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Is Study Butte the town you were referring to at the western edge? Or was he talking about Lajitas?

My suggestions, if you go in early fall, camp in the basin...if you go in the late fall, camp in rio grande village (along the river). There are some cool day hikes off of the road west of the main ranger station, but I forget the names. The back country road out to Mariscal Mine is pretty cool. Go hike Santa Elena Canyon. Checkout Boquillas Canyon and if they still let you cross the river, buy a bottle of Sotol in Boquillas...clear like rum, smooth like tequila, and probably 120-140 proof...mexican moonshine basically.
Old 08-21-08, 03:16 PM
grayloon

Bikes: 1983 Nishiki Cresta (original owner), 1987 Centurion Lemans RS, 1996 Gary Fisher X-Caliber, His and Hers Trek 800's, Schwinn beach cruiser woman's frame, and grandson's Huffy learner bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Study Butte isn't much of an attractive place. Its at the western main entrance to the park. Unless its changed in 10 years, its an ugly dump of a place, but some nice folk inhabit it. Lajitas is farther west and close to the river.
Old 08-21-08, 08:08 PM
v1k1ng1001
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jk80world
Go Go Go! As long as you stay away during Spring Break you should have no problem getting a great camping spot in the "Basin!" My recomendation is to not research the park itself at all and just go and be surprised. The little town (I forgot the name) at the western entrance to the park is very laid back, friendly, and slightly eccentric. A few days in the Bend will definately recharge your batteries.
I'm sold!
Old 08-21-08, 08:10 PM
v1k1ng1001
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by StephenH
One thing to keep in mind, is no campfires. There was also no water up high, and I ran out and had to hike about 5 miles down and 5 miles back up just to refill my water.
Oh yeah, this sort of stuff is what I need to know!

I guess I'll need to choose a route and plan out water. Using a campstove isn't a big deal.
Old 08-21-08, 08:52 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
The running-out-of-water was actually in Guadalupe Mtns, but similar both places. I think I spent 2 nights and 3 days up in the mountains, and 1.75 gallons wasn't enough. The camp fire sure would have been nice when it was cold and dark; I did have a stove for cooking.
Old 08-21-08, 09:03 PM
Monoborracho

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Here ya' go!

https://www.desertsportstx.com/bigbendinfobike.php

https://www.bicyclebigbend.com/bicyclebigbend_001.htm

Bring the mountain and the road bike. Bring a camelbak. Bring a rack pack or handlebar bag if you got one.

Enjoy!
Old 08-21-08, 09:04 PM
grayloon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
The running-out-of-water was actually in Guadalupe Mtns, but similar both places. I think I spent 2 nights and 3 days up in the mountains, and 1.75 gallons wasn't enough. The camp fire sure would have been nice when it was cold and dark; I did have a stove for cooking.
The Guads are definitely dry mountains. Beautiful, but most of the water, what little there is, is at lower elevations.
Old 08-22-08, 11:14 AM
Rex G

Bikes: Bianchi Alloro, Veloce, San Remo, Pista; Rivendell Canti Rom; Zinn custom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is not off-topic at all, and thanks for the links on the replies!
Old 08-22-08, 11:32 AM
hos13

Bikes: 2007 Mercier Sperns (I'm a shill) and a 99 Diamondback Invert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a co worker that goes there every Thanksgiving, she really likes it. I'm considering going down there and checking it out for myself, I have seen some very nice pic's of the area.
Old 08-23-08, 08:19 PM
v1k1ng1001
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm going to go but maybe not on a multi-day backpacking trip. I just can't imagine carrying gallons of water.