Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

whats the best bar tape to use?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-14, 02:35 PM
ModeratedUser24102018

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yo, so im getting drops next week, and before i buy them im wondering whats the best bar tape to go for, theres so many different types and textures, also how long does it normaly last? what do you have on your handlebars?. i dont know weather to go for something like cork, or the foam type. id love some of the tacky rubbery stuff, but no idea where to get it from.
Old 09-27-14, 02:45 PM
Cyril 

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like Brooks leather. Lizard skins have a large following.
Many folks like old school cork tape. And some people use tennis racket tape (quite cheap).

Longevity depends on how hard you use it and how picky you are about its appearance. Some folks get a few seasons out of a roll of bar tape.
Some track folks get a race or two out of theirs.

Pick your poison.
Old 09-27-14, 02:51 PM
ModeratedUser24102018

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyril
Pick your poison.
pick your poison, i like that! haha! i really like the looks of the foam ones, im thinking more for comfort than anything i guess, the road to work is full of pot holes and cracks, cant half feel it in the hands!. i dont know how people can use racket tape its so thin, almost like electrical tape!
Old 09-27-14, 02:54 PM
UltraManDan

Bikes: 2015 Aventon Diamond

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I just picked up some Fi'zi:k microtex tape and I absolutely love it. Has the feel between leather and cork and seems really durable so far.
Old 09-27-14, 03:14 PM
ModeratedUser24102018

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UltraManDan
I just picked up some Fi'zi:k microtex tape and I absolutely love it. Has the feel between leather and cork and seems really durable so far.
at the moment >this< is the only kind i can get hold of in time, and tbh i dont really like the look of it. im going for black, my bike is blue / black, if i added anything but black it would just look tacky tbh.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
qwerqrqrq.jpg (112.7 KB, 26 views)
Old 09-27-14, 03:44 PM
UltraManDan

Bikes: 2015 Aventon Diamond

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dayvurd
at the moment >this< is the only kind i can get hold of in time, and tbh i dont really like the look of it. im going for black, my bike is blue / black, if i added anything but black it would just look tacky tbh.
Is that online or at your LBS? They come in a ton of colors, so it might just take some calls and searching. Well worth it imo. Unless you wanna go full leather
Old 09-27-14, 04:21 PM
ModeratedUser24102018

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thats online, i dont like my LBS, its family owned and very expensive. I prefare to shop online to get better prices
Old 09-27-14, 04:49 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Thats online, i dont like my LBS, its family owned and very expensive. I prefare to shop online to get better prices
Yeah, supporting someone's family sucks. Good for you!

Shame on them, trying to do stupid **** like putting food on their table and paying their bills.

Last edited by Scrodzilla; 09-27-14 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-27-14, 04:51 PM
ModeratedUser24102018

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
Yeah, supporting someone's family sucks. Good for you!
Why should i pay extortionate prices when i have a family of my own to support? Nothing wrong with buying online if i want to.
Old 09-27-14, 05:37 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by UltraManDan
I also use Fi'zi:k bartape. It lasts, looks good, has a bit of padding to it.

I've also used cloth tape on a conversion. Cinelli makes cork tape but I prefer the Fizik, lasts longer. There's some fluorescent tapes out there and lots of really wild colors. Just get what looks cool to you.

I've seen some really nice harlequin tape jobs using two different colors of tape. A lot of work but if done well looks awesome.

Damn!

If you like retro, Velo-orange has tressostar cloth tape, leather tape, elkhide sew-on wraps, etc. https://store.velo-orange.com/index.p...bar-grips.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
HBworldbands3.JPG (42.8 KB, 22 views)
Old 09-27-14, 06:39 PM
MattoftheRocks

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 23 Posts
Why should i pay extortionate prices when i have a family of my own to support? Nothing wrong with buying online if i want to.
If you can afford the internet, you can afford a whopping extra two dollars for bartape. Having a bike shop there to do warranty claims, repairs and maintenance gives you quality time to hang with your family. Having a bike shop there gives you a selection of bartapes to touch with your fingers before you buy. Most bike mechanics have used and have thoroughly discussed with clients who've used every one of the products in the shop and can give you an accurate idea of how well it will perform in the conditions that you intend on using it.
Old 09-27-14, 06:48 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12739 Post(s)
Liked 7,652 Times in 4,058 Posts
I don't get how ordering bartape online works out, anyways. You'd probably need to buy a LOT of it for shipping to become feasible.

And you're on some sort of deadline?

Mail order is not making sense to me.
Old 09-27-14, 07:02 PM
MattoftheRocks

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I don't get how ordering bartape online works out, anyways. You'd probably need to buy a LOT of it for shipping to become feasible.

And you're on some sort of deadline?

Mail order is not making sense to me.
Free shipping on orders over £0.25
Old 09-27-14, 08:40 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Lizardskins DSP gets my vote.

Well you guys got poundland, poundworld, 99p stores, etc.... so it's bad for either sides.
Old 09-27-14, 09:14 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Leukybear
Lizardskins DSP gets my vote.
Too expensive. OP has mouths to feed!
Old 09-27-14, 09:16 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
Too expensive. OP has mouths to feed!
But the LBS and Lizardskins do too. Call the UN this is a humanitarian crisis!
Old 09-27-14, 10:29 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
The best bar tape is whatever cheap tape you can find at the dollar store. **** people who would rather buy all of their **** on the web then support their LBS. You people come in all the time wanting free stuff or refusing necessary service or just want us to give you advice so you can not follow it or what have you. "I can get it for 2¢ cheaper on Amazon so I will buy it there but you will install it for me right???"

If the internets is so great why not just plug your bike into your computer and let it do the repairs. You don't need experienced mechanics anymore with the internets or WallyMart. **** it just head down there and let one of those greeters fix your bike!

If your family needs support, I don't think you will find it here or buy buying stuff that won't help feed or clothe or house your family on the internets! If you care about family so damn much you wouldn't have a problem going to a family run bike shop and supporting them. Generally you support them and they will support you. I love seeing our regular customers and am always happy to help them out when I can and they are always happy to come in because they know we are going to do our best to help them out. It becomes mutually beneficial.

As a kid we had a local family run video store (they had these things called VHS tapes, you kids wouldn't remember) and then many many years down the line Blockbuster moved in and I think we got a movie from Blockbuster and stupidly tried to return it to the local shop (not realizing it) and the owner who was super nice was disappointed and at the time I didn't fully process it but now I get it. I miss the guy and wish I had known what we had done at the time. He got pushed out so some failure company could take his place . Blockbuster didn't know my name (until it popped up on the computer screen after you scanned your card) and they didn't give a **** about me or about their jobs. Dave, who ran the local shop, cared and was almost part of the family, he knew the movies and had a passion for what he did.

Anywho enough of my ranting. I hope OP changes their mind but if not so be it, I guess more birds aren't always a bad thing (you know because birds go, cheep cheep). You folks have a good night, Grandpa has to go to bed ; )
Old 09-28-14, 12:22 AM
Jared.
Uninformed Senior Member

Bikes: Dolan Pre Cursa, Cannondale R400

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not every LBS is good, some don't deserve support.
Old 09-28-14, 12:53 AM
jlafitte 
Pirate/Smuggler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Jared.
True, but let the OP wait until he actually needs help F2F with something and he might see some value in paying for service.
Old 09-28-14, 01:27 AM
ModeratedUser24102018

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
The best bar tape is whatever cheap tape you can find at the dollar store. **** people who would rather buy all of their **** on the web then support their LBS. You people come in all the time wanting free stuff or refusing necessary service or just want us to give you advice so you can not follow it or what have you. "I can get it for 2¢ cheaper on Amazon so I will buy it there but you will install it for me right???"

If the internets is so great why not just plug your bike into your computer and let it do the repairs. You don't need experienced mechanics anymore with the internets or WallyMart. **** it just head down there and let one of those greeters fix your bike!

If your family needs support, I don't think you will find it here or buy buying stuff that won't help feed or clothe or house your family on the internets! If you care about family so damn much you wouldn't have a problem going to a family run bike shop and supporting them. Generally you support them and they will support you. I love seeing our regular customers and am always happy to help them out when I can and they are always happy to come in because they know we are going to do our best to help them out. It becomes mutually beneficial.

As a kid we had a local family run video store (they had these things called VHS tapes, you kids wouldn't remember) and then many many years down the line Blockbuster moved in and I think we got a movie from Blockbuster and stupidly tried to return it to the local shop (not realizing it) and the owner who was super nice was disappointed and at the time I didn't fully process it but now I get it. I miss the guy and wish I had known what we had done at the time. He got pushed out so some failure company could take his place . Blockbuster didn't know my name (until it popped up on the computer screen after you scanned your card) and they didn't give a **** about me or about their jobs. Dave, who ran the local shop, cared and was almost part of the family, he knew the movies and had a passion for what he did.

Anywho enough of my ranting. I hope OP changes their mind but if not so be it, I guess more birds aren't always a bad thing (you know because birds go, cheep cheep). You folks have a good night, Grandpa has to go to bed ; )
Feel better now?. Heres a little price comparison for you. The drop handlebars i want are £39.99 in store. £16.99 online (hardly a "couple" more ££)- free delivery and i install everything myself. Ive been working on bikes since i was 16 and i know my way around a bike. Ive never had the reason to go into a bike shop, and i certanly wouldnt expect anything for free. The reason i also like to shop online is the fact that i also dont have anytime to go to a LBS and "support" them.

I have a family, yeah so what if i dedicate my whole time to my family. Im not the only one.
Im allowed to have hobbies and a family so who really cares if i dont want to shop in an extremly overpriced bike shop?.
Old 09-28-14, 01:38 AM
ModeratedUser24102018

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bbattle
I've seen some really nice harlequin tape jobs using two different colors of tape. A lot of work but if done well looks awesome.

that looks awesome!
Old 09-28-14, 01:38 AM
ModeratedUser24102018

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jared.
+1
Old 09-28-14, 07:03 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12739 Post(s)
Liked 7,652 Times in 4,058 Posts
Feel better now?. Heres a little price comparison for you. The drop handlebars i want are £39.99 in store. £16.99 online (hardly a "couple" more ££)- free delivery and i install everything myself. Ive been working on bikes since i was 16 and i know my way around a bike. Ive never had the reason to go into a bike shop, and i certanly wouldnt expect anything for free. The reason i also like to shop online is the fact that i also dont have anytime to go to a LBS and "support" them.

I have a family, yeah so what if i dedicate my whole time to my family. Im not the only one.
Im allowed to have hobbies and a family so who really cares if i dont want to shop in an extremly overpriced bike shop?.
I guess I'm lucky. 3 shops within 15 miles that are also big mail order houses. So I can shop online but actually look at stuff in person before buying.

Does your local shop also markup bar tape that much?

I know a family guy that rides and goes to bike shops. Are you sure you're gonna be able to ride this bike, what with your family obligations?
Old 09-28-14, 07:21 AM
ModeratedUser24102018

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I guess I'm lucky. 3 shops within 15 miles that are also big mail order houses. So I can shop online but actually look at stuff in person before buying.

Does your local shop also markup bar tape that much?

I know a family guy that rides and goes to bike shops. Are you sure you're gonna be able to ride this bike, what with your family obligations?
well my local bike shop sells bar tape for around 8-10 pounds which works out at around $10 - $16. for the cheap stuff. its a bit steep just for bar tape imo. especially when you can get it, like i say - online for alot cheaper. also one bike shop which is about 5 mins from my house hasnt got much selection. its a very small shop, only has one branch etc. you can see why it is overpriced.

i ride whenever i can, mostly to get to and from work, although when i have free time or if my daughter is elsewhere i go out for a ride around the local parks.

also ill just add to this, online, i can get a set of bars, aero brakes and bar tape for £32.00 or $51.99 for you guys in the US. in my LBS a set of aero brakes are £34.00 or $56.86 on their own. i think the internet wins here.

Last edited by ModeratedUser24102018; 09-28-14 at 07:48 AM. Reason: to add stuff.
Old 09-28-14, 09:19 AM
jr59

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes

Here we go. What's to follow is not personal at all, it couldn't be seeing as I have never been in your shop and don't know you from adam;

Most shops don't carry the selection that you can find on line, but they will be glad to order it for you. Yet you are to wait until they work up an order, and have to come back to pick it up. Well that's great service, seeing as they are making you wait, and charging you full retail for your drive time. Meanwhile, the LBS has nothing but profit in this part. It's sold before they order it. God help you if QBP doesn't carry it and they have to source it somewhere else.

Oh yea, they never mind charging me 45-65 dollars an hour for things I can't do myself. That's ok, b/c that's the rate. I understand it.

At most shops I have been in, don't ask for anything Campagnolo. Apply the above, we can order it.

Back to the tape. I like stuff that works and feels great as well as lasts a long time. It's price seems very high at the start, until you realize it will last years, and many seasons.HandleBra : Exemplary Leather Bicycle Handlebar Wrap : "Wait ' till you put your hands on this!" TM Nothing I have found comes anywhere close.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.