Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dahon folding bikes, why is the seat tube so steep?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Dahon folding bikes, why is the seat tube so steep?

Old 10-30-16, 07:16 PM
chagzuki

Bikes: Brompton, Dahon Vitesse D5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
To add to what Rick Imby has said, with a brompton generally the pentaclip is positioned such that the saddle is very far forward, as it would be if the seat tube angle was really steep. But what compensates for this is that there's rear suspension which sags under load, tilting the seat tube backwards. How the angle looks in these photos is not representative, i.e. not under load, and what matters is saddle position in relation to bottom bracket, not angle.
Old 10-30-16, 07:33 PM
Got
Banned.

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick Imby
So when the seat tube terminates in the bottom bracket it will come up at one angle, when it terminates behind the bottom bracket it will come up at a different angle to compensate.

22 posts and none of you guys see that.
Effective seat angle changes with the Dahon and Brompton design as the post goes higher.
Originally Posted by chagzuki
To add to what Rick Imby has said, with a brompton generally the pentaclip is positioned such that the saddle is very far forward, as it would be if the seat tube angle was really steep. But what compensates for this is that there's rear suspension which sags under load, tilting the seat tube backwards. How the angle looks in these photos is not representative, i.e. not under load, and what matters is saddle position in relation to bottom bracket, not angle.
What you said just benefits the brompton, which is a good bike and I have no problems with it. Thank you for making my point.

It is just too bad the Dahon can't have anything done with it so that it can fix the poorly designed super steep seattube. Dr Hon must be blind to overlook something so obvious.
Old 10-30-16, 08:25 PM
Rick Imby

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
the Bromie -- Dahon Challenge

Originally Posted by Got
What you said just benefits the brompton, which is a good bike and I have no problems with it. Thank you for making my point.

It is just too bad the Dahon can't have anything done with it so that it can fix the poorly designed super steep seattube. Dr Hon must be blind to overlook something so obvious.
Moving the seat back in the clamp does that. There are a lot of people that ride Dahons that like them. There are a lot of people that ride Bromptons that like them.

So price out and buy a Brompton with 8 speeds relatively evenly spaced from 30-90. Then buy a Dahon MU p8. Then take a friend with you riding for an afternoon. Swap bikes halfway through and work to fit each bike to them.

You might be surprized. They will definitely be surprized that the Brompton is more twice the Dahon.

The Bromie is awesome for multimodal but gearing with the 16" wheels is a challenge (expensive too).

Or Buy a Dahon MU SL11 for about $1400 and do the same thing. If you have them ride the Bromie first and then put them on the Dahon. When you finally catch up to them I doubt they will want the Bromie unless they are really into taking it on mass transit.

Last edited by Rick Imby; 10-30-16 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-30-16, 09:55 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Got

I've owned several Dahons and they ride fine. You're a troll.
Old 10-30-16, 10:06 PM
Rick Imby

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
I agree.... I have only owned one but it rides fine.
Old 10-31-16, 05:40 AM
nz6666

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's funny Mr Got thinks Dahon is bad because seat tube angle is not relax enough for him. Even you don't like a racing position on a folder many people may do. And this has nothing to do with the cost, to position a seat tube a few degrees more slack so it costs more? The funniest thing on a Monday morning, thanks.
Old 10-31-16, 05:50 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
+1. The logic, the assumptions, you just have to shake your head. Dahon has probably sold a million bikes over their life time and Dr. Hon, has designed everyone one wrong according to the new resident expert on folding bike design.
Old 10-31-16, 09:47 AM
Azreal911

Bikes: Wheeler Mtn bike, Strida 5.0, Tern Link Uno, FSIR Spin 2.0, Dahon Mu P8

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
+1. The logic, the assumptions, you just have to shake your head. Dahon has probably sold a million bikes over their life time and Dr. Hon, has designed everyone one wrong according to the new resident expert on folding bike design.
Actually I was curious and had to check up on that: DAHON About DAHON - company history and philosophy
apparently they sold over 5 million. But someone better tell them they really screwed up and they are making a HUGE mistake with their bicycle design!

I really don't know what the problem here is about the seat tube angle, because the ride dimensions is pretty much spot on to a full sized bike once setup correctly to the individual ride. Isn't that was what most people want!? If you wanted a more relaxed ride and more upright the Strida is a good candidate. There's bikes of all styles and riding positions that different brands make but complaining because they didn't make what you want and then you proceed to buy another brand that fits you instead..... I really don't know what's the issue of this entire post besides complaining for the sake of it. But hey is was a fun read!
Old 10-31-16, 10:07 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
Originally Posted by Got
Compare this tern bike, look at the super steep seattube.

That tern has a steeper seattube than this fuji track bike!

He is how a normal seat tube angle should look like:

Therefore Dr. Hon makes folding bikes for racing instead of commuting. He is absentminded.

So if you want a folding bike, dont get a dahon, the price may be cheap but it is wrongly designed. Only a brompton is standard and proper (and expensive, but that is the price you have to pay for a normal folding bike)
You, apparently, need glasses. Look at these examples,... I'm guessing you hate Tern just as much as you hate Dahon.

Last edited by tds101; 10-31-16 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-31-16, 10:11 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
Originally Posted by reppans

Old 10-31-16, 10:15 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Moderators, can you deal with this Got guy? This thread is not about seattube angles, it's a racist moron trolling a bike forum.
Old 10-31-16, 12:39 PM
smallwheeler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
q: when does calling other people "trolls" itself become an act of trolling?

do you feel frustrated and incapable of forming good arguments to counter opinions you don't like?

although clicking the red button may feel quite satisfying and give you a little "rush" and feeling of power over others, ultimately it isn't a good solution because:

1. it's only a matter of time before the mods realize you are just using them as a ban-hammer to silence forum members you don't like.

2. you'll actually feel much better about yourself if you can actually persuade others through logic and good argument to agree with your position. rather than pretending to be a forum cop, a better and more fulfilling option is to actually learn how to formulate and present arguments that win people over and convince them of the validity of your point of view.

3. learning to form good arguments improves the overall quality of the forum experience for everyone. calling people names and hitting the red button just creates a chilling effect and makes people second guess whether or not they should express their opinion ("will someone hit the red button on me too?")

stop trolling the trollers and beat them through good argumentation.

resources:

https://danielmiessler.com/blog/how-...nt/#gs.5f3FmXc

https://faculty.uncfsu.edu/jyoung/what_is_a_good_argument.htm
Old 10-31-16, 01:05 PM
badmother

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why bother? What keeps this thread alive is you guys responding, not his opinions. Let him keep them, do not reply. Fastest and esyest way to stop this nonsens.
Old 10-31-16, 01:20 PM
smallwheeler

Originally Posted by badmother
Why bother? What keeps this thread alive is you guys responding, not his opinions. Let him keep them, do not reply. Fastest and esyest way to stop this nonsens.
why bother.. what? making good arguments? the answer should be obvious.

also, i'm sure you noticed that you bumped this thread back to top in order to tell people they should ignore it in response to a guy who responded to other guys who bumped the thread of a guy they wanted to silence...

happy halloween!

Old 10-31-16, 01:31 PM
badmother

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by smallwheeler
why bother.. what? making good arguments?
in your own opinion maybe..

you bumped this thread...

happy halloween!
Ditto !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
db1166-pumpkin-puke.jpg (41.5 KB, 57 views)
Old 10-31-16, 01:33 PM
Joe Remi

q: when does calling other people "trolls" itself become an act of trolling?

do you feel frustrated and incapable of forming good arguments to counter opinions you don't like?

although clicking the red button may feel quite satisfying and give you a little "rush" and feeling of power over others, ultimately it isn't a good solution because:

1. it's only a matter of time before the mods realize you are just using them as a ban-hammer to silence forum members you don't like.

2. you'll actually feel much better about yourself if you can actually persuade others through logic and good argument to agree with your position. rather than pretending to be a forum cop, a better and more fulfilling option is to actually learn how to formulate and present arguments that win people over and convince them of the validity of your point of view.

3. learning to form good arguments improves the overall quality of the forum experience for everyone. calling people names and hitting the red button just creates a chilling effect and makes people second guess whether or not they should express their opinion ("will someone hit the red button on me too?")

stop trolling the trollers and beat them through good argumentation.

resources:

https://danielmiessler.com/blog/how-...nt/#gs.5f3FmXc

https://faculty.uncfsu.edu/jyoung/what_is_a_good_argument.htm
I call people trolls when they invade a bike forum to spread racist BS. Racism is not an opinion, it's a violation of TOS.
Old 10-31-16, 02:10 PM
smallwheeler

I call people trolls when they invade a bike forum to spread racist BS. Racism is not an opinion, it's a violation of TOS.
what did the guy say that was racist? "asian engineering sucks"? how is that ill-informed and moronic comment racist? what you're doing reminds me of this:

see? there's nothing new under the sun. this is why learning to form good arguments is so important to discussion.

i understand you're not interested in that. you don't want to win an argument or point out errors in other people's thinking process. it's not enough that the object of your assault has been demonstrated to be wrong by virtually every person who responded to the substance of his goofy arguments, it seems you also want them to be shut up and be chased away.

this isn't the first time you and your buddy have tried to silence people... the last time you wanted some guy run off the forum you later came back and apologized.

bully tactics are the domain of the weak-minded. everybody knows this. don't do it. it's beneath you. (i hope)
Old 10-31-16, 02:26 PM
badmother

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old 10-31-16, 02:42 PM
smallwheeler

Old 10-31-16, 02:42 PM
Joe Remi

what did the guy say that was racist? "asian engineering sucks"? how is that ill-informed and moronic comment racist? what you're doing reminds me of this:

see? there's nothing new under the sun. this is why learning to form good arguments is so important to discussion.

i understand you're not interested in that. you don't want to win an argument or point out errors in other people's thinking process. it's not enough that the object of your assault has been demonstrated to be wrong by virtually every person who responded to the substance of his goofy arguments, it seems you also want them to be shut up and be chased away.

this isn't the first time you and your buddy have tried to silence people... the last time you wanted some guy run off the forum you later came back and apologized.

bully tactics are the domain of the weak-minded. everybody knows this. don't do it. it's beneath you. (i hope)
He was in another thread where his racist comments have been erased. The guy's a troll, and you don't know wtf you're talking about.

Last edited by Joe Remi; 11-01-16 at 10:53 PM.
Old 10-31-16, 02:56 PM
smallwheeler

I understand you're an idiot. He was in another thread where his racist comments have been erased. The guy's a troll, and you don't know wtf you're talking about.
let it all out, joe. direct all your vitriol at me. i can take it. i promise i'll never hit the red button on you.
i know deep down you're a good guy. love you, buddy.
Old 10-31-16, 03:00 PM
badmother

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bored? You should be out looking for sweets with the other kids..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
valentines-popcorn-heart.jpg (98.4 KB, 54 views)
Old 10-31-16, 03:06 PM
ThorUSA
Banned

Bikes: to many

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am excused from this thread..?
Am I ?
Please !
Old 10-31-16, 03:23 PM
Joe Remi

let it all out, joe. direct all your vitriol at me. i can take it. i promise i'll never hit the red button on you.
i know deep down you're a good guy. love you, buddy.
Dude joined 11 days ago, and hes's babbling about "Britain wins again" and complaining about "Asian engineering". On another thread he wants to know the race of a driver who knocked over a cyclist. Sorry, I'm much too familiar with the recent spate of Trump humper white nationalists overrunning social media to put up with this crap. It doesn't belong here.
Old 10-31-16, 04:02 PM
smallwheeler

Bored? You should be out looking for sweets with the other kids..
you're the only sweet i need, bb. miss you.

Dude joined 11 days ago, and hes's babbling about "Britain wins again" and complaining about "Asian engineering". On another thread he wants to know the race of a driver who knocked over a cyclist. Sorry, I'm much too familiar with the recent spate of Trump humper white nationalists overrunning social media to put up with this crap. It doesn't belong here.
doesn't matter. my point was: defeat stupidity with logical arguments not virtue signalling.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.