Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New rims, constant punctures - advice?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 02-18-17, 03:46 AM
mmxbreaks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Total n00b to the forum, so hello.

I had new rims fitted about two months ago - DT Swiss R24 Spinline - and in the last week I've been getting constant punctures. Five in seven rides.

First seemed to be glass incident, second on the same ride possibly pinch. After the third just a day later I thought 'time to change the tyre!' New Gatorskin; bought a slightly wider one (25), as thought the existing (23) didn't feel right on corners.

Nope. Still getting punctures. And it is driving me insane. In.Sane.

What's the next step? New rim tape? I've never fitted it before, so I don't know what to buy, nor what size on those rims (website doesn't make it clear).

Any advice/help appreciated before I get full-on Saturday rage would be great. Ta!
Old 02-18-17, 03:57 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes. Check the rim tape: most likely culprit.
Old 02-18-17, 04:05 AM
mmxbreaks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
Yes. Check the rim tape: most likely culprit.
What exactly am I looking for?

Me = clueless
Old 02-18-17, 04:07 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Flats all happening on the same wheel? Or both?
Old 02-18-17, 04:15 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
WHERE are the punctures occurring?
If the rim strip is to blame they'll be consistently occuring on the rim side of the tube.

To inspect the rim strip, check that its covering the spoke nipple access holes properly.
Old 02-18-17, 04:33 AM
reggieray
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spoke holes must be covered.

Any bike shop will have tape for a rim. It shouldn't cost more than $5.

Are you checking the tire for foreign objects after each flat? Are there sharp objects embedded in the tire?

If not, the rim tape is the most likely problem.

When you go to the shop to get tape, tell them you're getting flats constantly and ask them to look at your wheel for any problems.
Old 02-18-17, 07:37 AM
mmxbreaks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's always on the same wheel, yes, the rear.

Always taking tyre off entirely for change, scoping out the interior of that, plus eyeing up the rim; tubes are fully changed each time and not patched.

Last two changes were by mechanics in different shops, situation explained to them, neither commented on an issue (or perhaps they're just not very good, which was my inkling - but what do I know, I'm a keen rider without all the knowledge).

Thanks for replies
Old 02-18-17, 07:39 AM
mmxbreaks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by reggieray
Are there sharp objects embedded in the tire?
Only once - either a shard of stone or glass - which is why I thought that Gatorskin was done. Nothing hugely problematic based on my previous experience of such tyres though, but still changed it. The new one has not a single pock mark in it - it's only travelled 40-miles!
Old 02-18-17, 08:09 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks

Always taking tyre off entirely for change, scoping out the interior of that, plus eyeing up the rim; tubes are fully changed each time and not patched.

Last two changes were by mechanics in different shops, situation explained to them, neither commented on an issue (or perhaps they're just not very good, which was my inkling - but what do I know, I'm a keen rider without all the knowledge).

Thanks for replies
Are you checking where the cuts are on the tube relative to the valve stem? If they're on the inside (same side as stem), you need new rim tape. If they're on the outside, you're just having some bad luck. It's improbable but it can happen.
Old 02-18-17, 08:33 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
As other have alluded to, when you get a flat, it's important to find out what's causing the flat or it could continue to be a problem.

First, I'd recommend that you get comfortable changing flats yourself. It's not that hard once you've had a little practice.

Second, I'd recommend that you align the label on your tire with your valve stem - when you get a flat, you pull and inspect the tube to find the puncture. If your tire label and valve stem were aligned, once you find the tube puncture, you can use the location of the puncture, relative to the stem, to find the puncture site on the tire, relative to the label - make sense? Sometimes the things that cause flats, whether it's a small rock, a bit of glass or a thin wire, can get stuck in the tire casing and will cause you to flat shortly after changing the tube, so you need to find the puncture site and make sure it's clean of debris.

As Dan said above, if the puncture is on the inside of the tube, inspect the rimtape/spoke holes.

If you look very closely at the tube and you see two punctures right next to each other, otherwise known as a snakebite or pinch-flat, it may be an indication that your tire pressure is too low and the tube is being pinched between the rim and the road/rock/bump. Road tires can lose significant pressure between rides, so you should be topping off before each ride to avoid pinch flats.

Good luck!
Old 02-18-17, 08:38 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Originally Posted by WhyFi
As other have alluded to, when you get a flat, it's important to find out what's causing the flat or it could continue to be a problem.

First, I'd recommend that you get comfortable changing flats yourself. It's not that hard once you've had a little practice.

Second, I'd recommend that you align the label on your tire with your valve stem - when you get a flat, you pull and inspect the tube to find the puncture. If your tire label and valve stem were aligned, once you find the tube puncture, you can use the location of the puncture, relative to the stem, to find the puncture site on the tire, relative to the label - make sense? Sometimes the things that cause flats, whether it's a small rock, a bit of glass or a thin wire, can get stuck in the tire casing and will cause you to flat shortly after changing the tube, so you need to find the puncture site and make sure it's clean of debris.

As Dan said above, if the puncture is on the inside of the tube, inspect the rimtape/spoke holes.

If you look very closely at the tube and you see two punctures right next to each other, otherwise known as a snakebite or pinch-flat, it may be an indication that your tire pressure is too low and the tube is being pinched between the rim and the road/rock/bump. Road tires can lose significant pressure between rides, so you should be topping off before each ride to avoid pinch flats.

Good luck!
Tl;dr
Old 02-18-17, 08:40 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Dan333SP
Tl;dr
I bet you don't consider this trolling, right? Just having a little innocent fun, right?

Old 02-18-17, 08:44 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I bet you don't consider this trolling, right? Just having a little innocent fun, right?

Quit being an ass!
Old 02-18-17, 08:45 AM
WhyFi

Quit being an ass!
Crumble. You don't snap in half - you all crumble.
Old 02-18-17, 08:50 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
As said above there are three most likely causes: 1) debris left stuck in the tire from the first flat poking through a small hole to puncture the tube on the road side, 2) defects in the rim tape placement allowing one of the spoke hole's edge to cut the tube on the rim side, and 3) pinch flats due to either catching the tube under the tire bead when mounting the tire or underinflation and/or indiscriminate riding on rough roads. Pinch flats are usually on the side of the tube and have the characteristic twin hole, snakebite appearance. All three are easy to check. Check for these possibilities and you should have the problem corrected in no time.

I strongly urge you to change you own tires. It is the only way to reliably have your bike ready for you when you are ready for it.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 02-18-17, 08:51 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Quit being an ass!
I see what you did there. If you were really upset, you would have called him an arse. Now that would be serious.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 02-18-17, 10:19 AM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Those wheels are tubeless ready, but I didn't have any luck with their rim tape holding air around the valve, so I yanked off the rim tape and used 1" gorilla tape.

Super easy fix and the tires haven't leaked air in months. And no flats because tubeless, so woot!

Old 02-18-17, 10:35 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Others have said this here but I'll reiterate: find the locations of the punctures on the tubes. If they're all in the same place (relative the valve) that's a clue.
Old 02-18-17, 12:19 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
...tubes are fully changed each time and not patched.
Replacing tubes only guarantees that you have replaced the tubes.

I've probably done most of my miles on patched tubes w/o any issues at all.

That does indicate that pressure - or lack thereof - could be the cause.

Last two changes were by mechanics in different shops, situation explained to them.... perhaps they're just not very good, which was my inkling - but what do I know, I'm a keen rider without all the knowledge).
If you're a keen rider, there are some things you should learn to manage yourself, because there will not always be a mechanic available. And patching/replacing tubes is definitely one of them.
It is not a huge challenge.
Old 02-20-17, 01:33 AM
mmxbreaks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So it was very clearly the rim tape. It had slipped, exposing parts of two spoke holes, more of a third.
Basically lazy shop mechanics not doing their jobs.
I can and will be changing tubes myself. Just bought new tyre levers as I had snapped one some time ago so couldn't carry.
Will be writing a peed-off letter to CyclesUK to try and get so-called labour costs reimbursed.