Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Defy vs Infinito

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Defy vs Infinito

Old 12-09-20, 11:02 AM
nedb7

Bikes: A Bianchi, Giant and a Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Defy vs Infinito

I have been riding my Defy 2 since 2009. It has been a great bike. Really zero issues other than replacing chains, brake pads and an occasional derailleur adjustment. (have a triple in front). My average ride is about 40 miles and I typically do a century or two a year and a 160 miler, RAIN Ride. Over the last year or so, I've been looking to get a new bike and believe I have it narrowed down to another Giant Defy, this time carbon, Advanced Pro 2 to be exact. Or a Bianchi Infinito cv. Budget is $4,500'ish. I've spent hours going over geometry specs and stack / reach ratio's etc. My current Defy is a M/L. Only adjustment I made was a shorter stem. (stiff lower back) I'm 5'11" with a 32 inseam and believe the bianchi 55 is very comparable size-wise. Have to admit, I'm in love with the Celeste, and Giant's paint schemes have become very dull and unattractive IMO. My question is about feel. Has anyone ridden both of these bikes? My problem is there are no bianchi's close to me. So I can't get a test ride. Will appreciate any insight on this. I've read tons of reviews on both but that's just not the same as riding one.
Old 12-09-20, 07:31 PM
ultrarider7

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Varsity, 1985 Trek 410, 1985 Peugeot P 8, 2021 Pinarello Dogma F12, 2022 Cannondale Topstone Alloy

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 1,102 Times in 327 Posts
I haven't ridden the Defy, but I own the Bianchi Infinito CV, and I've put a little over 6,200 miles on it. It's a great bike! Comfortable and fast. I really hate it when it's in for service and I have to ride my Cannondale (not very) Quick. The Infinito feels like you're in the bike, whereas the Quick you feel like you're on the bike. I am 71-1/2" tall, shrunk from 72" in the past couple of years and I ride the 57cm. You may want to reconsider the size you are thinking of. Mine is a 2019 and it came with a 130 mm stem. I believe the 2021's come with a 120 mm stem, so you'll be slightly more upright than with mine.
Likes For ultrarider7:
Old 12-09-20, 11:02 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2564 Post(s)
Liked 5,595 Times in 2,903 Posts
Have not ridden both but have a 2020 Infinito CV disk with tubeless. Compared to my steel and aluminum bikes it’s like riding on a cloud. I ride it off road as a quasi gravel bike, where it does quite well, but really excels on the road. At 6’1” 165 lbs, it fits me well and goes like stink. It responds to inputs quickly, is comfortable and doesn’t beat me up like my other bikes so I can ride farther.

I was in the same position as you are; none in the area to test ride. I bought it online out of L.A. and it took me about a month to dial it in but enjoy it a ton and have put nearly 3000 miles on it in 4 months. This CV tech was not as dramatic as expected, but going tubeless with lower pressures really made it a significant difference, but didn’t slow me down. Had several PRs with that bike.

Good luck on your hunt.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-09-20, 11:19 PM
Joearch

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV Disc Ultegra

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 31 Posts
Also own a 2020 Infinito CV Disc. Super ride. Solid, fast and nimble.. I do 20-30 mile rides 4-5 days a week and find the CV to be a very comfortable bike. I must say it is a beautiful ride. Surprised how often people comment how great it looks. The Celeste is special. I got mine in July from a LBS in Los Angeles who ordered it for me and had it inthe shop in 5 days or so. Nice discount as well which was surprising. BTW, I am 5-9 at 170 lbs and am riding a 53cm frame.

Last edited by Joearch; 12-09-20 at 11:23 PM.
Likes For Joearch:
Old 12-10-20, 10:06 AM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by nedb7
I have been riding my Defy 2 since 2009. It has been a great bike. Really zero issues other than replacing chains, brake pads and an occasional derailleur adjustment. (have a triple in front). My average ride is about 40 miles and I typically do a century or two a year and a 160 miler, RAIN Ride. Over the last year or so, I've been looking to get a new bike and believe I have it narrowed down to another Giant Defy, this time carbon, Advanced Pro 2 to be exact. Or a Bianchi Infinito cv. Budget is $4,500'ish. I've spent hours going over geometry specs and stack / reach ratio's etc. My current Defy is a M/L. Only adjustment I made was a shorter stem. (stiff lower back) I'm 5'11" with a 32 inseam and believe the bianchi 55 is very comparable size-wise. Have to admit, I'm in love with the Celeste, and Giant's paint schemes have become very dull and unattractive IMO. My question is about feel. Has anyone ridden both of these bikes? My problem is there are no bianchi's close to me. So I can't get a test ride. Will appreciate any insight on this. I've read tons of reviews on both but that's just not the same as riding one.
Well. I am close, but no cigar.

End of 2017 my Ridley X-fire was destroyed in a hit-and-run. Even before I was walking again (almost 4 months), I decided to order an Infinito CV; I, too, had read the reviews and wanted one. I was never test riding ANYTHING in my size (My infinito is a 63), so I took the chance and ordered. Plus. You know. I was on crutches and non-weightbearing

It had to come from Italy. It took... a while. I had been hoping to use it for the half-century I did 6 months after the impact, but no. Did it on an MTB on slicks.

In the meantime, I found an XL Defy 3 on Craigslist cheap, so got that. I'd imagine it is relatively similar but lower-speced to your Defy 2 -- both ALUXX, though mine is the most recent iteration of Sora and has a rather larger range than what I see on-line for the 2009 Defy 2. Good bike, for sure. Did a decent number of rides on it, took it up Sandia Crest a couple of times (and was grateful for that range on that climb.) Even got some nice Strava PRs, since I was pretty intense about recovering !

Fast-forward to August, and the Infinito finally came in. I was not expecting a tonne, honestly -- it seemed that I had made a vanity purchase for some nice bicycle jewelry. The Defy was, as you observed, a pretty nice bike!

Yeah. I was /so/ wrong. I set the Infinito up and jumped on it. Within 200m of my driveway, I could feel the difference. It was more alive, more connected, more responsive, more everything. Night and bloody day -- I was quite frankly shocked and dead pleased given the somewhat random way I bought it.

It's been a fantastic bike since. I love it. I love the colours, I love riding it. Just brilliant.

Do it. If you can afford it.
Likes For expatbrit:
Old 12-10-20, 10:15 AM
nedb7

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ultrarider7
I haven't ridden the Defy, but I own the Bianchi Infinito CV, and I've put a little over 6,200 miles on it. It's a great bike! Comfortable and fast. I really hate it when it's in for service and I have to ride my Cannondale (not very) Quick. The Infinito feels like you're in the bike, whereas the Quick you feel like you're on the bike. I am 71-1/2" tall, shrunk from 72" in the past couple of years and I ride the 57cm. You may want to reconsider the size you are thinking of. Mine is a 2019 and it came with a 130 mm stem. I believe the 2021's come with a 120 mm stem, so you'll be slightly more upright than with mine.
Thanks, helpful.. at one point the 57 made sense to me, but I'm always right between sizes. I was 71.5 inches most of my life.. probably shrank to 71 by now. I'm not real flexible and have a bit of a stiff back... what's your ballpark inseam? do you feel like you're stretched out on the 57? My thought is either way I'll have to go to a 70mm or 90 mm stem..
thanks again.
Old 12-10-20, 02:09 PM
ultrarider7

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Varsity, 1985 Trek 410, 1985 Peugeot P 8, 2021 Pinarello Dogma F12, 2022 Cannondale Topstone Alloy

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 1,102 Times in 327 Posts
Thanks, helpful.. at one point the 57 made sense to me, but I'm always right between sizes. I was 71.5 inches most of my life.. probably shrank to 71 by now. I'm not real flexible and have a bit of a stiff back... what's your ballpark inseam? do you feel like you're stretched out on the 57? My thought is either way I'll have to go to a 70mm or 90 mm stem..
thanks again.
I am a 32" inseam. When I first got the bike I debated about switching to a 110 mm stem, but stayed with the longer one. Now I'm glad I didn't. My Cannondale has a 90 mm and I sit more upright on that bike.
Likes For ultrarider7:
Old 12-11-20, 02:07 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
My defy has reliably and comfortably taken me to amazing places and on epic adventures. But it's not celeste.
Old 12-11-20, 03:33 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
I'm 5'11" with 32in inseam, on a 57cm Infinito (pre-CV) that fits perfectly, I think you'll want a 57cm. The Bianchi 57cm fits about like most brands 56cm.
I suspect the Infinito will feel a bit stiffer than the Defy. That can make the bike feel a touch more lively and responsive, but I suspect the Defy may be a hair smoother.
I would definitely test ride both. Both are excellent bikes, so it's about finding the bike that matches your riding personality.
Old 08-11-21, 03:18 PM
nedb7

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Ended up with a 55 Infinito.... It's the right size and I love it.
Likes For nedb7:
Old 08-11-21, 07:33 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Ended up with a 55 Infinito.... It's the right size and I love it.
I think you made a great choice. I happen to have a 2019 Defy Advanced Pro 2 and while it is a great bike, it has no real soul. It ticks all the boxes for a quick endurance bike, but I still find myself lusting after bikes like the Infinito! Maybe it’s just the Bianchi history and Celeste paint, but these things do make a big difference to how you connect with a bike. The Defy was very much a head over heart purchase for me, but I think I’ll go the other way on my next bike!
Likes For PeteHski: