Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike storage..which is best..

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-20, 04:24 PM
xseal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 25 Posts
https://www.steadyrack.com
Old 12-12-20, 05:18 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,733 Times in 1,009 Posts
I hung bikes from the ceiling before, but I really don't have the height in my garage for them...so I then hung them from hooks then I realized I needed to organize better, so I went with the steadyracks.

Old 12-12-20, 06:23 PM
xseal

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
I hung bikes from the ceiling before, but I really don't have the height in my garage for them...so I then hung them from hooks then I realized I needed to organize better, so I went with the steadyracks.
How far apart did you space them?
Old 12-12-20, 08:32 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Originally Posted by xseal
How far apart did you space them?
based on handlebar width....he road bikes are 16" apart, the hybrids are 20" apart and the 2 mtb are 24" apart. I have 6 bikes space in 8 ft of wall space that can swing to either side which is really convenient when I need to get to the AC filter or have it worked on.

Old 12-12-20, 08:41 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
If you alternate mounting by the front and rear wheels you can get them pretty close.
Old 12-12-20, 09:12 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by cubewheels
It's more difficult to raise and lower the rear wheel than the front and if some weight needs to rest on the wheel at the floor, rear wheel on the floor is more stable this is why front wheel is always up.

Such type of storage won't work for full fender bikes though.
They have racks specifically for fendered bikes....and I have 3 of those racks as they are a little more narrow and they fit the road bike wheel better. You can see it on my domane...it has a lower dip in the rack that the main type. They just slide under the fender. These racks are simple to use and the main reason I went with them is if my wife wants to ride her bike, she can easily remove and put it back by just lifting the front wheel and rolling the bike into the rack. She does not have to lift up to a hook that she could not reach. That was a main complaint I had with the hooks was her being able to get the bike up and down. That is no longer an issue.

Also, they are designed to not have the wheel sit on the floor, I have mine about 1 inch above the floor. There is also a small rear wheel plate for the tire to rest on to keep the tire from marring the wall.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 12-12-20 at 09:21 PM.
Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 12-12-20, 09:27 PM
jaxgtr

I also like them in that when I have one of the bikes on the trainer, I just put the rear wheel in the rack....my wife has her bike on it at the moment which is why there is only the rear wheel in the 4th position. I am sort of a freak for organization, so....

Old 12-12-20, 09:58 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
Mine live in a climate controlled carpeted room with their wheels cradled in perfectly radiused holders to prevent flat spotting with a humidifier and dehumidifier precisely controlled at .01% humidity, while swaddled in 1000 thread count Arabian goose down filled comforters while classical music softly plays under dimming LEDS. Fresh flowers daily, of course.

Only a barbarian would provide less.

Last edited by rsbob; 12-12-20 at 10:02 PM.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-13-20, 08:03 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Old 12-13-20, 11:22 PM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
I love the Steadyracks. If I had the dedicated space I would use them. I have limited space in my garage and sometimes have to move things around for projects.

I built simple wood stands for my folders (There are 6 of us) and for the road bikes I use the feedback RAKK stands. They can be used to hold the front wheel, back wheel or you can stand the bike up with the front wheel up on the wall with the back wheel in the stand.

And none of the stands are permanent.

I dont have any good pics of the Feedback RAKK but you can google it to get an idea. Super portable and easy to move around.
Likes For Wilmingtech:
Old 12-14-20, 07:00 AM
feejer

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I just hung a couple of padded bars from the ceiling and hang the bikes from the seat. Works perfect, bikes are high and out of the way, and way easier to reach up and hang/remove the bikes than wheel hooks. A couple more bikes are on the way so this is a much needed solution. Also stupid cheap to do
Likes For feejer:
Old 12-14-20, 08:37 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Not going to work with my 40 lbs bike!
Damn... my 2 bikes weigh less than that in total.

I suggest keeping both wheels on the ground, that's how I store my wife's bike.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 12-14-20, 10:12 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
I am thinking of getting something like this:

question is- will these put too much pressure on the spokes and cause the spokes to loosen over the long run?
Old 12-14-20, 12:45 PM
xseal

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
based on handlebar width....he road bikes are 16" apart, the hybrids are 20" apart and the 2 mtb are 24" apart. I have 6 bikes space in 8 ft of wall space that can swing to either side which is really convenient when I need to get to the AC filter or have it worked on.
Thanks, new house is almost finished, I have 4 of these ready to bolt to new garage wall. Thx.
Old 12-14-20, 05:16 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by xseal
Thanks, new house is almost finished, I have 4 of these ready to bolt to new garage wall. Thx.
You will love them. I used three 1x6x10 and ran it across 4 or 5 studs and then I could mount the racks where I wanted. 2 for the racks up top and 1 for the rear wheel mount. I used two 1/4" x 2.5" fasteners per stud across the 10 ft run which if I recall was 10 per board, they are not coming off the wall that is for sure.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 12-14-20 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-14-20, 11:15 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Maybe. Another concern if you have small wheel bikes like with 20" or smaller wheel and equipped with disc brakes. The brake rotors might rub the wheel holders.
That's a good point. We don't have any bikes with disc brakes at the moment. But I do want the stand to be 'future-proof'.
Old 12-15-20, 12:30 AM
Skulking

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
That's a good point. We don't have any bikes with disc brakes at the moment. But I do want the stand to be 'future-proof'.
I don't think disc brakes should be a huge concern for something like that. The discs are inside the fork. They may be exposed below the fork, so if the stand is very short and you let the bike lean over on the rotor I suppose you might bend the rotor, but short of that, it's really not a concern.
Old 12-15-20, 11:12 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
I am thinking of getting something like this:

question is- will these put too much pressure on the spokes and cause the spokes to loosen over the long run?
They don't call those "wheel bender racks" for nothing Realistically, used at home, that should not be an issue.

Main issue I have with them is that unless you can adjust the slots, they are limited in their versatility. Seems like every time you see those out in public, half the bikes don't fit right in them.
Old 12-17-20, 10:20 PM
7up

Bikes: Aurelia*Bianchi*Cannondale*Colnago*Dahon*Giant*Haro*Lynsky*Monkey Faction*Origin8*Panasonic*Paramont*Peugeot*Ross*Schwinn*SE*Specialized*Trek

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
This is what I did for five bikes 4 on the wall and a fat bike on the floor.Yes I know I should never hang a carbon fiber frameset from the top tube.

One of my walls
Old 12-17-20, 10:25 PM
jaxgtr

That is actually a nice setup there.

Old 12-18-20, 05:52 PM
vacyclist68

Bikes: Bianchi Alloro(95); Jamis Renagade Gravel Bike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anything except plain sitting on tires. I have a wall rack at the moment but plan on hanging off hooks in closet soon
Old 12-20-20, 09:45 PM
xcfang

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilmingtech
I love the Steadyracks. If I had the dedicated space I would use them. I have limited space in my garage and sometimes have to move things around for projects.

I built simple wood stands for my folders (There are 6 of us) and for the road bikes I use the feedback RAKK stands. They can be used to hold the front wheel, back wheel or you can stand the bike up with the front wheel up on the wall with the back wheel in the stand.

And none of the stands are permanent.
This looks like something I should do. So, you just use gravity to hold the tire on the wall by moving the stand a little ways away from the wall? How far apart are the long rails on the floor?
Old 12-20-20, 09:46 PM
xcfang

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by feejer
I just hung a couple of padded bars from the ceiling and hang the bikes from the seat. Works perfect, bikes are high and out of the way, and way easier to reach up and hang/remove the bikes than wheel hooks. A couple more bikes are on the way so this is a much needed solution. Also stupid cheap to do
This reminds me of one I saw that used what you have plus added a cheap wench from Harbor Freight to raise and lower the bar for easy access. Very cool.
Old 12-21-20, 06:06 PM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by xcfang
This looks like something I should do. So, you just use gravity to hold the tire on the wall by moving the stand a little ways away from the wall? How far apart are the long rails on the floor?
Correct on the gravity. If you wanted to, you could take either a hook or 2 blocks close enough to friction fit the tires in to hold them in place on the wall. The handlebars on the folders spin all the way around once the front wheel is against the wall.

Measure your handlebars and add an inch. Use that number to center the wheel holders. Some addl pics for you -

This dimension will be based on the wheelsize. I have 20" wheels on the folders that I created this stand for. It'll be sized different for 700c wheels or Mountain bikes.

Same thing with width. a 700c wheel will need less spacing here. the 2x4's on the ground are what the wheels "drop" into. A little friction from the cross pieces keeps them from moving.

Here is a closeup of the cross pieces. I had to trim one side slower as on these folders the read derailleur hangs pretty low and I needed the cross to be low enough to clear it.

Here is a pic of the Feedback sports rack. Works with either the rear wheel or the front wheel.

Same gravity trick here. It does help to have something holding the wheel in place as a bump can cause the front wheel to turn.
Likes For Wilmingtech:
Old 12-22-20, 09:39 AM
xcfang

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilmingtech
Correct on the gravity. If you wanted to, you could take either a hook or 2 blocks close enough to friction fit the tires in to hold them in place on the wall. The handlebars on the folders spin all the way around once the front wheel is against the wall.

Same gravity trick here. It does help to have something holding the wheel in place as a bump can cause the front wheel to turn.
Very cool! I appreciate the extra pictures. I think I have the perfect spot for this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.