Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Can I use stack/reach to determine if a different frame size will fit?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-28-20, 05:06 PM
Dancing Skeleton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts

My 2013 Domane Six Series 52 cm is damaged, and I need a replacement.
I can get a smoking deal on a 50 cm frame, 52's are very hard to find.
By researching stack/reach numbers from both a 50 cm & 52 cm frame, I believe that can do this.
Stack on the 50 is 15mm lower, that can be adjusted with spacers, I currently have a 5mm below the stem on the 52, it'll be two-10 mm spacers on the 50.
Reach on the 50 3mm shorter, I'll barely notice, or I can change stems.
The seat tube C-T is 25 mm shorter, but the long seat mast cap will be well within spec. I currently use the short version.

So, will this 50 cm frame fit?

Thoughts?
Old 12-28-20, 05:52 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
You can fit a range of frame sizes. In my case, with a 32 1/2 " inseam it's about 54-56, although I can make up to a 58 work but it's not optimal. And, don't trust manufacturer's stated frame sizes. My CAAD 12 is 52 w/sloping TT. But, when actually measured with a virtual TT it's actually a 54. I'd start with inseam and go from there.
Old 12-28-20, 06:20 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
Sounds as if you will be fine. 20mm of spacers below the stem is not too much. If you can keep your stem between 90mm and 110mm that will be good as well. Probably more toe overlap than you are accustomed to but most folks can live with that.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 12-28-20, 06:58 PM
Dancing Skeleton

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Sounds as if you will be fine. 20mm of spacers below the stem is not too much. If you can keep your stem between 90mm and 110mm that will be good as well. Probably more toe overlap than you are accustomed to but most folks can live with that.
That's what I thought, I'm just not sure if I'll feel the difference in frame size, not sure if the bike will feel smaller.
Even if I do feel a difference, it may be because I'll be going from a 2013 Six-Series to a 2021 SLR.
Because of the endurance geometry & relatively long wheelbase, I don't think that I'll get toe-overlap.
I should add that I use a 100mm stem on the 2013.

Thanks for the input
Likes For Dancing Skeleton:
Old 12-28-20, 07:10 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
The entire reason for stack and reach measurements is to do just this...compare different frames and determine if/how one will fit.
Old 12-28-20, 07:20 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by Dancing Skeleton
Thoughts?
I think this is why stack and reach exist.
Sure it'll fit, but will it feel the same? Compare bottom bracket drop, fork trail, head tube angle, and seat tube angle.
Typically, the smaller the bike the seat tube becomes more upright and the head tube slacks out. But with you comparing one size different, hopefully all these numbers are the same/similar.
Old 12-28-20, 07:24 PM
Dancing Skeleton

Originally Posted by cxwrench
The entire reason for stack and reach measurements is to do just this...compare different frames and determine if/how one will fit.
cxwrench,

Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I can easily make the effective geometry the same on both bikes, as I've done with the 2013 Domane & 2011 Madone H2 fit, both 52cm frames.
Will I notice the difference?
I don't get toe overlap on the 2013 Domane, I do on the H2 Madone.
I've read that you're a Trek mechanic.
Do you think that I'll feel a difference in the two bikes, and will that difference be more related to geometry or 1st generation vs current frame?
I should add that I'll get disc brakes on the new Domane.
Old 12-28-20, 07:32 PM
Dancing Skeleton

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Sure it'll fit, but will it feel the same? Compare bottom bracket drop, fork trail, head tube angle, and seat tube angle.
Typically, the smaller the bike the seat tube becomes more upright and the head tube slacks out. But with you comparing one size different, hopefully all these numbers are the same/similar.
BB drop is the same, 8.0 cm
Trail: 6.0 on the 50, 5.9 on the 52
Head tube angle:71.1* on the 50, 71.3* on the 52
Seat tube angle: 74.6* on the 50, 74.2 on the 52

Wheelbase is 99.6 cm vs 100.3 cm

I'll do some research but I don't know how these affect the way that the bike will feel.

Thanks
Old 12-28-20, 10:30 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
cxwrench,

Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I can easily make the effective geometry the same on both bikes, as I've done with the 2013 Domane & 2011 Madone H2 fit, both 52cm frames.
Will I notice the difference?
I don't get toe overlap on the 2013 Domane, I do on the H2 Madone.
I've read that were a Trek mechanic.
Do you think that I'll feel a difference in the two bikes, and will that difference be more related to geometry or 1st generation vs current frame?
I should add that I'll get disc brakes on the new Domane.
Between the 50 and 52? You most likely won't notice any difference.
Old 12-29-20, 12:24 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1876 Post(s)
Liked 1,411 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Exactly. Even if we ignore feel, which also depends on frame material and construction in addition to the measurements, you need to consider at least seat tube angle in addition to just reach and stack to get an idea on fit.

Even a small difference in seat tube angle means the saddle may be so much further forward or backward that the change in distance cannot fully be compensated by the offset, depending on the existing offset of your seat post and saddle.
Old 12-29-20, 09:35 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
A common mistake made with this type of comparison is failing to correct the reach to the SAME stack height on both bikes. I bought two new frames with an 18mm shorter stack and 10mm shorter reach than my previous frames. The reach must be corrected for the 18mm of spacer needed. Use 3mm for each 10mm of stack height difference. That makes the new frame reach another 5-6mm shorter. In the end, I had a comfortable fit with 15mm of spacer and 110mm, minus 17 degree stems that I had kept around. 120mm stems would have been too long.

The difference in the STA does not impact the reach, but will slightly change the saddle setback needed to get the same saddle nose to handlebar dimension.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 12-29-20 at 09:41 AM.
Old 12-29-20, 11:35 AM
Dancing Skeleton

Originally Posted by DaveSSS
A common mistake made with this type of comparison is failing to correct the reach to the SAME stack height on both bikes. I bought two new frames with an 18mm shorter stack and 10mm shorter reach than my previous frames. The reach must be corrected for the 18mm of spacer needed. Use 3mm for each 10mm of stack height difference. That makes the new frame reach another 5-6mm shorter. In the end, I had a comfortable fit with 15mm of spacer and 110mm, minus 17 degree stems that I had kept around. 120mm stems would have been too long.

The difference in the STA does not impact the reach, but will slightly change the saddle setback needed to get the same saddle nose to handlebar dimension.
Good points.
If I get this frame, I have enough stems on hand so that I can get the same effective reach. I won't change the saddle setback, since it's the same on all of my bikes and I don't get knee pain.
Old 12-29-20, 11:53 AM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Man. I'm bad. I run at least a 120mm and usually a 130mm stem
Likes For expatbrit:
Old 12-29-20, 12:04 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Remember those stack and reach measurements are probably frame stack and reach to the top of the headtube/headset. So the other components on the bike that many times aren't included in the geometry specs can make enough difference to annoy you after the purchase.

While many times most mfr's use the same component sizes as other for a specified size bike, you still will be wise to pay attention as some don't. Take a close look at things like crank length, stem length, handlebar reach/drop and even try to find out how many mm of spacers under the stem that new bike will come with.
Old 12-29-20, 12:23 PM
Dancing Skeleton

Originally Posted by Iride01
Remember those stack and reach measurements are probably frame stack and reach to the top of the headtube/headset. So the other components on the bike that many times aren't included in the geometry specs can make enough difference to annoy you after the purchase.

While many times most mfr's use the same component sizes as other for a specified size bike, you still will be wise to pay attention as some don't. Take a close look at things like crank length, stem length, handlebar reach/drop and even try to find out how many mm of spacers under the stem that new bike will come with.
I'm only getting the frame.
I've got all of the components from my current frame, which is damaged.
I've got plenty of stems & spacers to be able to make the contact points the same in relationship to each other as they are on my current bike.

Thanks
Old 12-29-20, 12:28 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4834 Post(s)
Liked 7,826 Times in 3,707 Posts
Originally Posted by expatbrit
Man. I'm bad. I run at least a 120mm and usually a 130mm stem
Me, too. I ran a 110 for years, until it was suggested that I change to a 130 (by someone who knows about such things). I made the switch, and very quickly it was "Oh! THIS is how it's supposed to feel." 15 years later, I'm not as flexible as I used to be, but a low 120 still feels very right to my body.
Old 12-29-20, 12:31 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4834 Post(s)
Liked 7,826 Times in 3,707 Posts
BB drop is the same, 8.0 cm
Trail: 6.0 on the 50, 5.9 on the 52
Head tube angle:71.1* on the 50, 71.3* on the 52
Seat tube angle: 74.6* on the 50, 74.2 on the 52

Wheelbase is 99.6 cm vs 100.3 cm

I'll do some research but I don't know how these affect the way that the bike will feel.

Thanks
It will probably feel different (depending on your sensitivity to such things), but not dramatically. A longer stem on a frame with shorter reach dimension will change your center of gravity over the bike a bit, but you're not doing anything extreme, so it should be all good.
Old 12-29-20, 12:38 PM
cruiserhead

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
stack and reach are same, head and seat angles are within half a degree. It will be fine.
the longer wheelbase will feel more stable, wanting to stay straight but may feel a bit less agile, depending on fork rake.

My 2013 Domane Six Series 52 cm is damaged, and I need a replacement.
I can get a smoking deal on a 50 cm frame, 52's are very hard to find.
By researching stack/reach numbers from both a 50 cm & 52 cm frame, I believe that can do this.
Stack on the 50 is 15mm lower, that can be adjusted with spacers, I currently have a 5mm below the stem on the 52, it'll be two-10 mm spacers on the 50.
Reach on the 50 3mm shorter, I'll barely notice, or I can change stems.
The seat tube C-T is 25 mm shorter, but the long seat mast cap will be well within spec. I currently use the short version.

So, will this 50 cm frame fit?

Thoughts?
Old 12-29-20, 12:49 PM
Dancing Skeleton

Originally Posted by cruiserhead
stack and reach are same, head and seat angles are within half a degree. It will be fine.
the longer wheelbase will feel more stable, wanting to stay straight but may feel a bit less agile, depending on fork rake.
Wheelbase is shorter on the 50 than my 52, so the 50 will be a little less stable & a little more nimble.
Probably very little.
Old 12-29-20, 08:03 PM
cruiserhead

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
yup, sounds good