Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

How do I connect a Negative/Positive wire to a h4 bulb?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

How do I connect a Negative/Positive wire to a h4 bulb?

Old 03-31-21, 04:56 PM
Mr.Dangerous

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Exclamation How do I connect a Negative/Positive wire to a h4 bulb?

Hello, I have made a 12v battery pack and it has a positive and negative wire coming out of it. And I want to use it to light up my bicycle chopper's headlight. But the headlight is H4 and has 3 wires; High beam, Low beam and ground. I don't know which I should connect to negative and positive and worst of all, which wire should I exclude or how I can use it. Do I need some sort of converter maybe?

Thanks!
Old 03-31-21, 05:19 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
You need a SPDT switch.
Old 03-31-21, 06:39 PM
Mr.Dangerous

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
You need a SPDT switch.
What's that? and what is it for? I can't figure it out
Old 04-01-21, 04:34 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
There are three possibilities for how you wire it. Try all three and decide which light beam you like.

A - if you wire the high beam connection and low beam connection, the electricity goes through both filaments, but there is more resistance, less electricity flows through, that is the wrong combination of wires.

B - wire the ground and low beam connection, that is desirable on a car and probably best on a bicycle, the low beam filament has a small reflector over it so the light comes out of the lamp with a low beam pattern.

C - third option, the high beam connection and ground, you have more light scatter in all directions and this filament uses a bit more power than the low beam filament.

Use the option that you like best.

I assume you already know that you should not touch the bulb glass. The bulb gets very hot and if you had handled the glass enough to get any skin oils on it, the glass can break from the heat.
Old 04-01-21, 11:46 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr.Dangerous
What's that? and what is it for? I can't figure it out
Single Pole Double Throw. It's a switch that allows you to route current to either High or Low beam circuit depending on switch position. Or you could just wire it up simply without the switch as described by Mr. Tourist above. It all depends on how you will want to use the light.
Old 04-04-21, 01:51 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
This may help.