Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1982 Ketler Alu-Sportrad

Old 01-26-20, 09:38 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
1982 Ketler Alu-Sportrad

Want to see what my dad's old bike is worth. Its a 1982 (or 1983?) Ketler Alu-Sportrad. Pictures are below. According to this thread:

https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?t=122002

they have been building aluminum frame bikes since the late 1970's. This one appears to be in good shape and hasn't been used in quite a while. The tires were flat from sitting as to be expected. There was also some slight surface rust on the fork crown and the rear brake caliper spring if I recall. Its been a long time since I rode it, but I recall the frame being a little more flexable than others. Sort of like an older Peugeot mixte frame I once rode in highschool. This is also the 6 speed derailleur version as opposed to the IGH models. Also has the front tire generator for the lights. No idea if it still works or not (haven't taken it for a test ride yet).

Old 01-27-20, 05:05 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 278 Post(s)
Quoted: 2192 Post(s)
Liked 4,572 Times in 1,758 Posts
Now there's a bike you don't see often. Interesting, rather than valuable, I think.

Bought mine out of sheer curiosity back in 2011. For €50, according to my notes. As bought:

Old 01-29-20, 10:06 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Cool. Looks like you have an Alum frame road bike from Kettler? What year is it? I found it interesting that they were doing Alum since the late 1970's. The bike above was my Dad's bike. Taking the front wheel off was a PITA. They did a good job of using a locking tab and washer between the fork and the hub. No way to get the wheel off short of literally unscrewing the bolts and flexing the fork away from the security tab with a screwdriver. This "security washer" puts the forks with the "lawyer tabs" to shame.

Edit: Just realized that I misspelled "Kettler" as Ketler". Ah well...

Last edited by ptempel; 01-29-20 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-29-20, 04:08 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 278 Post(s)
Quoted: 2192 Post(s)
Liked 4,572 Times in 1,758 Posts
Originally Posted by ptempel
Cool. Looks like you have an Alum frame road bike from Kettler? What year is it? I found it interesting that they were doing Alum since the late 1970's. The bike above was my Dad's bike. Taking the front wheel off was a PITA. They did a good job of using a locking tab and washer between the fork and the hub. No way to get the wheel off short of literally unscrewing the bolts and flexing the fork away from the security tab with a screwdriver. This "security washer" puts the forks with the "lawyer tabs" to shame.

Edit: Just realized that I misspelled "Kettler" as Ketler". Ah well...
I don't know the exact build date, but early eighties would not be far off, I think. What I like about it is that it's a bit left field. If it were any closer to my size I'd have rebuilt it long ago.