Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Do you pay the man or fix yourself?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Do you pay the man or fix yourself?

Old 03-04-21, 11:55 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
I didn't read the original post as using "the man" in any offensive or derogatory way. I read it in a way of, "Did this guy do professional work for you? Then pay the man!" His time is worth something.

In fact, nothing in the post mentioned "the man" at all. It was pretty clear to me that the nature of the thread is working on one's own bikes or paying for that service to be done. I've said, "pay the man!" before as a reference to professional work being worth good money, and not as a slight to anyone or anything.

Of course, with things like this, the magic is in how the listener or reader interprets it.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 03-04-21, 03:19 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I didn't read the original post as using "the man" in any offensive or derogatory way. I read it in a way of, "Did this guy do professional work for you? Then pay the man!" His time is worth something.

In fact, nothing in the post mentioned "the man" at all. It was pretty clear to me that the nature of the thread is working on one's own bikes or paying for that service to be done. I've said, "pay the man!" before as a reference to professional work being worth good money, and not as a slight to anyone or anything.

Of course, with things like this, the magic is in how the listener or reader interprets it.
Holmes
u da man!
got the bike back today, very excited for better weather.
Old 03-04-21, 08:17 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
"My papa said son, don't let the Man get you and do what he's done to me
'Cause he'll get you
'Cause he'll get ya now, now"
I appreciate the CCR reference!
Old 03-04-21, 11:31 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
I'm a pro mechanic but I never really minded paying for bike work before I started this career when I didn't have the experience or tooling to do something. These days I get annoyed when it's really mostly just tooling keeping me from doing something (like Fox rear shocks). Wouldn't be too bothered to pay for skills I'm unlikely to acquire or get tooling for (carbon repair, for example).

For a (bike) mechanic, I kinda just am not that into cars--partly I've never until now have I had the space to possibly work on a car. I don't particularly mind paying for this work, even if it's undoubtedly skills I can learn and possibly some of it may be economically advantageous to learn and get tooling for.
Old 03-05-21, 08:26 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Outrider1
I appreciate the CCR reference!

Another 2 for you:

"Left a good job in the city
Working for the Man every night and day..."

"Ain't no food upon the table, and no pork up in the pan
But you better not complain, boy, you get in trouble with the Man"
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 03-05-21, 08:32 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I restore vintage VWs as a hobby so bicycle repair is pretty basic.

Old 03-05-21, 10:05 AM
Inisfallen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
I do it all myself.

I'm a former semi-pro motorcycle mechanic (worked in a local independent HD shop). I have plenty of training. And plenty of tools, although not every specialized tool needed for bicycle work.

So working on mechanical stuff comes naturally to me. And, like a poster above, my wife expects me fix everything, including her car.

I know my limits and am happy to pay a pro when I'm outside my comfort zone. I don't mess with plumbing or electrical stuff. But so far so good with bicycles.
Old 03-05-21, 02:18 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
Ya need one ‘o these!

Originally Posted by GlennR

Old 03-05-21, 02:27 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by billnuke1
You put the parts in a frialator?
Old 03-05-21, 02:45 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,206 Posts
You put the parts in a frialator?
How else would you lube your chain?

Old 03-05-21, 02:49 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by pdlamb
How else would you lube your chain?

Just don't lube your brakes.
Old 03-05-21, 03:01 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3370 Post(s)
Liked 5,490 Times in 2,843 Posts

An all-stainless ultrasonic cleaner is on my wish list.
I'm currently using one of those cheap ones with a stainless tub, but cheap plastic housing, and a (rapidly deteriorating) plastic basket.
Old 03-05-21, 03:16 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts

Ah, the times when cars had distributors, and you could actually see what was going on there and fix it if needed!
Old 03-05-21, 03:18 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
An all-stainless ultrasonic cleaner is on my wish list.
I'm currently using one of those cheap ones with a stainless tub, but cheap plastic housing, and a (rapidly deteriorating) plastic basket.
I think my 3l unit was around $70. Yes, cheap Chinese from ebay... but i've had mine for a few years.
Old 03-05-21, 03:20 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Reynolds
Ah, the times when cars had distributors, and you could actually see what was going on there and fix it if needed!
Yup... distributors are easy to diagnose... you don't need a computer.
Old 03-05-21, 04:03 PM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
I enjoy the personal satisfaction of fixing something myself and doing it right. The only time I will pay someone is when I don't have the tool and it's too expensive or difficult to get. Most Bicycle shops can't do the serious repairs anymore anyways. For example I wanted a crown race seat milled and faced a month ago. Only one bike shop in my area had any idea what the heck I was talking about.
Old 03-05-21, 07:55 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I admit that I enjoy doing a lot of things that I should let the pro's do: Bike repair, computer programming, etc.

In fact, I do a lot of my own repairs. I've fixed most of the appliances in the house. I've worked on my own musical instruments, and done a whole lot other household stuff.

I don't try to do everything. For instance I don't work on cars. To me, a car is an appliance, they're just not interesting, and I don't have space for something that would actually be worthy of a hobby. Plus, all the tools.

Around the house, I bring someone in if it's big and heavy, or where the cost of a mistake would be more than hiring someone. A few weeks ago I was completely stumped by my home furnace, tried all of the obvious easy things, then called the pro. They were able to get replacement parts under warranty, so their labor was less than my parts cost would have been. There are some hidden risks that can tip the scales towards hiring someone. For instance we got new counter-tops a few years ago, and I learned that if I ordered them myself and got the measurements wrong, the risk was on me, whereas the pro's came in and knew exactly how to do the measurements right. That as worth a few bucks.

As for bikes, tinkering with them has always been part of the hobby for me. But I only ride bikes that are easy for a DIY'er to work on, using a modest collection of tools. And I'm not a hard rider, so my bikes rarely need repair anyway.
Old 03-05-21, 08:43 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by cbrstar
I enjoy the personal satisfaction of fixing something myself and doing it right. The only time I will pay someone is when I don't have the tool and it's too expensive or difficult to get. Most Bicycle shops can't do the serious repairs anymore anyways. For example I wanted a crown race seat milled and faced a month ago. Only one bike shop in my area had any idea what the heck I was talking about.
Congrats, you found your area's actual bike shop.

I would not work somewhere without conmon cutting tools.
Likes For cpach:
Old 03-08-21, 12:34 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
I have my LBS do most things. I have someone else cut my grass and plow my driveway when it snows.
If my guitars need work, an expert does it.
When I mix and edit recordings, I hire an engineer.
Etc.
I haven't read the thread yet, but I am certain that some will say you're not a "real" cyclist if you don't do it all yourslf. But I don't really care what they think. I've never been very mechanical, AND I fill my time things that I am good at.
Old 03-08-21, 12:51 PM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by dkatz1
I have my LBS do most things. I have someone else cut my grass and plow my driveway when it snows.
If my guitars need work, an expert does it.
When I mix and edit recordings, I hire an engineer.
Etc.
I haven't read the thread yet, but I am certain that some will say you're not a "real" cyclist if you don't do it all yourslf. But I don't really care what they think. I've never been very mechanical, AND I fill my time things that I am good at.
I worked in a Guitar shop and one of the best Guitar players I had ever seen (He even had a University degree in it.). Couldn't even change his strings, heck not even a single broken one. He used to do a lot of touring and I asked him what the heck he does when he's in the middle of nowhere and a string breaks? Well I guess he's borrowed a lot of guitars over the years from other bands . But I've found that many guitar players couldn't work on their guitars.

With Bicycles I think there is a generational difference. Back before cell phones if your bike broke down hundreds of miles in the middle of nowhere you were stuck walking. That only happened to you once maybe twice before you kept basic tools and learned how to fix things enough to get to the next town lol. Now if there is a break down you can instantly call and have someone pick you up. The necessity and need isn't there for many.
Old 03-08-21, 12:59 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3370 Post(s)
Liked 5,490 Times in 2,843 Posts
I worked in a Guitar shop and one of the best Guitar players I had ever seen (He even had a University degree in it.). Couldn't even change his strings, heck not even a single broken one. He used to do a lot of touring and I asked him what the heck he does when he's in the middle of nowhere and a string breaks? Well I guess he's borrowed a lot of guitars over the years from other bands . But I've found that many guitar players couldn't work on their guitars.
Conversely, I was on a ride one day, and took a break at a convenience store near Boulder.
I got into a conversation with a local dude who had a business repairing guitars.
But he couldn't play one.
Likes For Shimagnolo:
Old 03-08-21, 01:09 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,163 Times in 1,322 Posts
The best thing about doing your own work is you get a lifetime warranty on labor and can always get a hold of the mechanic that screwed up.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 03-08-21, 01:41 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Amt0571

Moreover, I've not found any LBS that is up to my standards.
+1
I’m not entirely comfortable with the phrase ”my standards”. There will always be people out there not realizing that it’s their expectations that are out of calibration.
And I don’t want to be one of ”them”.
But yeah, I’ve been disappointed often enough those few times I have used a lbs.
Last time: the 1st time in decades I’d bought a brand new, complete bike. After awhile it popped a spoke. No big deal. It can happen. I brought the bike in. Still under warranty. When I came to retrieve the bike I was told that ”warranty doesn’t cover wheels”. Website doesn’t say ANYTHING about restrictions to warranty. It’s a commuter bike, not a DH rig. Shop manager had left for the day. Remaining staff refused to hand out the bike unless I payed. And I needed the bike to get home. So I payed. Money that would have paid for a full set of double-butted spokes if I’d done it myself.
The spoke has held up, so this time it was clerical rather than mechanical. But I have had a fair share of those too.
Likes For dabac:
Old 03-08-21, 04:14 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,905 Posts
With Bicycles I think there is a generational difference. Back before cell phones if your bike broke down hundreds of miles in the middle of nowhere you were stuck walking. That only happened to you once maybe twice before you kept basic tools and learned how to fix things enough to get to the next town lol. Now if there is a break down you can instantly call and have someone pick you up. The necessity and need isn't there for many.
or you never learn & get eaten by a bear.
Old 03-08-21, 04:16 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,905 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
The best thing about doing your own work is you get a lifetime warranty on labor and can always get a hold of the mechanic that screwed up.

John
true, but that mechanic likes to throw wrenches. it could get dangerous.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.