Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

question about TopLight Line Plus rear light braking feature

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-21, 07:20 AM
ZippyDan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I originally reached out directly to Busch & Muller with this question, but after a week I received no response, so now I'm coming here hoping someone has the answer.

Basically, I'm wanting to install the TopLight Line Plus on two bicycles which already have dynamos and front lights (which are not by Busch & Muller). I'm wondering if the braking feature on this light will work with ANY front headlight, or if it is only compatible with other Busch & Muller lights. Their website is not very clear on this.

Here's the email I sent to them:

Hello,

Regarding the TopLight Line Plus with BrakeTec technology. The description on your website says "Dynamo rear lights with the BrakeTec function must be connected to Dynamo powered front lights."

What is not clear to me is whether I should expect the TopLight Line Plus to function with (almost) ANY Dynamo powered front light? Or only with SPECIFIC Dynamo powered front lights? Or only with Busch and Muller Dynamo powered front lights? Or only with SPECIFIC models of Busch and Muller Dynamo powered front lights?

I would appreciate more information on the requirements for the BrakeTec function to work correctly.

I was interested in adding your tail light to my bicycle which already has a SON Edelux II head light installed (your competitor, sorry), and was curious to know if I should expect the BrakeTec function to work correctly.
Anyone know?
Old 04-05-21, 10:24 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3458 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
I do not own one, so I could be in error, but I think that taillight senses a rapid reduction in frequency of the AC electric supply, that would imply that the front wheel is slowing rapidly. I have the equivalent light without the braking feature.

Have you looked at Peter White website on that taillight, that may answer your questions.
https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/taillights.php
Old 06-02-21, 04:55 AM
ZippyDan

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I never got a response from Busch & Muller, but I found this website: Busch & Müller: BrakeTec

which states in part:

This is how it works – provided that the lighting system (dynamo) is turned on: A processor inside the rear light analyses signals from the dynamo. If the velocity decreases significantly, the processor registers deceleration and the rear light pulsates very brightly. – The warning function of BrakeTec harmonises ideally in connection with LineTec – so that a wide strip lights up. BrakeTec is an innovation by Busch & Müller.

BrakeTec works only when the rear light is connected to a headlight whose rear light contacts supply alternating current. This applies to all N and senso headlights from Busch & Müller as well as the new LUXOS.
Afaik, the SON headlight does have a connector for a rear light, so I believe it should be compatible.
Old 06-02-21, 09:34 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by ZippyDan
Afaik, the SON headlight does have a connector for a rear light, so I believe it should be compatible.
If you are in USA (where Peter White is distributor) and wanted to use with a headlight that Peter White sells, I would ask his company before buying the taillight, send an e-mail.

I recall reading somewhere that Supernova taillights might run on DC, in which case I would expect their headlight might not play well with it.

Other brands that Peter White does not sell (example, AXA), if the headlight sends an AC power supply to taillight, I would assume it would work but I certainly could be wrong.
Old 06-02-21, 05:07 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,693 Times in 2,515 Posts
According to what I see on Peter J. White's fine webpage, this taillight isn't designed to handle the full voltage from a dyno. YMMV.
Old 06-02-21, 06:10 PM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by unterhausen
According to what I see on Peter J. White's fine webpage, this taillight isn't designed to handle the full voltage from a dyno. YMMV.
Are ANY taillights rated for full dynohub output?

I think all dyno powered taillights are supposed to draw power from the headlight.