Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Using freewheel on a cassette bike

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Using freewheel on a cassette bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-20, 09:38 PM
Tols

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Using freewheel on a cassette bike

Not sure this is strictly an e-bike question, but it's related to an e-bike conversion so hopefully others have come across a similar issue.

I'm converting a GT Timberline 1.0 into a rear motor e-bike using a kit from Dillinger in Australia (sorry, I'm too new to post a link). I would've preferred to keep riding my very cushy Marin San Anselmo but heard you really want disc brakes for an e-bike.

The Timberline is 3 x 8 speed with a Shimano Acera derailleur and a Shimano Altus CS-HG31-8 cassette. However, the replacement wheel in the conversion kit requires a freewheel.

I can't seem to track down a Shimano 8 speed freewheel in Australia (if one even exists). The kit retailer sells a (very bloody overpriced) no-name 8 speed freewheel for more than double the price of a genuine Shimano 7 speed.

I've got a few questions:
  • Once I have the new wheel on, would my existing drivetrain work if I fitted a 7 speed Shimano freewheel? Or would I have to stick with 8 speed? I get that I couldn't shift into that missing cog anymore, but would the others shift OK?
  • The no-name freewheel seems to have a different tooth count (I think it's 13-14-16-18-20-22-24-28T, while the current Shimano cassette is 11-13-15-17-20-23-26-34t). Will this matter? Would I have to reindex or something?
Thanks
Tols in Canberra, Australia
Old 05-08-20, 10:19 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 620 Posts
The no-name freewheel has a smaller rear gear (28 vs 34) than the Shimano so should work fine although you may want to remove a link or two from the chain. Check the spacing between the gears on the seven-speed and eight-speed; I think it may be the same and you could lock out one gear and use the eight-speed shifter with the seven-speed. If you don't get an answer here go to "bicycle mechanics" or read Sheldon Brown. Also, everybody has an opinion on this, but mine is that rim brakes are fine if set up correctly unless you're a downhill racer. If necessary, get Kool Stop pads.