Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Help with bike

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Help with bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-20, 10:09 AM
busb0rg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help with bike

Hello guys,

A couple of days ago, I bought myself a new bike. I've bought a "Bianchi Magma 9.1 Deore". I have no prior experience with bikes, and therefore I bought one pre-build. I went for a bike ride (about 50 km), and about half way out, I noticed that my front tire is wobbling. It's not that much, but I can hear it hitting the breaks slightly. Should I take it to a bike shop and have it fixed before I go for anymore bike rides, or can I ride on it for a bit?
Old 05-08-20, 11:31 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
The tire is probably not wobbling. Inexpensive brake rotors tend to warp a little and rub on the pad. It's harmless. You should check that your front axle is tight.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 05-08-20, 11:49 AM
busb0rg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay. I did take off the front wheel, to tighten my axle, that didn't seem to be the issue. But the tire is acting as if it wobbles. It swings slightly from side to side. Might try to drive it over to a buddy, maybe he can take a look at it. Thanks for your reponse
Old 05-08-20, 12:18 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by busb0rg
Okay. I did take off the front wheel, to tighten my axle, that didn't seem to be the issue. But the tire is acting as if it wobbles. It swings slightly from side to side
It CAN be the tire wobbling. Fit between rim and tire isn’t exactly the same on all wheels. Sometimes a tire ends up a little lopsided, not quite centered. Usually there is an ”indicator” line molded into the tire sidewall close to the bead. This line should be close and equally close to the rim the whole way around. If it isn’t, well there’s your problem.
Sometimes you get away easy. That’s when the reinforced base of the valve has gotten caught under the bead. Deflate, push valve in, past the bead and inflate. Sometimes it takes several rounds of tire wrangling to get it to settle. Last I had that issue it took soapy water, a partially inflated tire and a lot of grunting and pulling at the low spot before the tire centered around the rim.
It can also be the rim being out of true. Get the bike off the ground and spin the wheel, keep looking at the distance between rim and the fixed reference of your choice. If that distance changes it’s time to contact the seller.
Old 05-08-20, 02:20 PM
busb0rg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it's a relatively small white line, close to the rim, there seems to be a different in distance on a 5 cm strech of the wheel. Do you believe this perhaps could be the issue, and if so, they should be able to fix it at a bike shop, no?
Old 05-08-20, 05:14 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Sorry for the bum steer. It didn't seem likely on a new bike, but you know better since it's yours
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 05-08-20, 09:22 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Very likely it's an out of true wheel. Shouldn't cost more than $30 to get it fixed, if that's the problem. Take it to a bike shop so you know it's safe and rideable
Old 05-08-20, 10:23 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Hold something against the fork so it almost touches the rim, for example, a screwdriver. Spin the wheel and see if the rim wobbles. If the rim wobbles, and it is a new bike, the place that sold it to you should fix it for free. If it is only the tire wobbling, and not the rim, don't worry about it.
Old 05-09-20, 09:47 AM
busb0rg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I placed a zip tie around the bike, so it was close to the rim, and there was a single place on the wheel, where it touched. The same place every time. Same thing on the back wheel. Since the rim it's the rim, I should take it to a bike shop, or the place where I bought it, no?
Old 05-12-20, 01:23 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by busb0rg
I placed a zip tie around the bike, so it was close to the rim, and there was a single place on the wheel, where it touched. The same place every time. Same thing on the back wheel. Since the rim it's the rim, I should take it to a bike shop, or the place where I bought it, no?
Yeah, they can throw it on the truing stand and get it straightened out, I am no expert on wheels and am surprised by this on a new bike, but I have also heard machine-built wheels go out of true easier than hand built, properly tensioned ones.

The LBS will know what to do, explain to them your zip tie check. Good on you for doing that, that's smart.