Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Buying a bike on the Internet? Yes!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Buying a bike on the Internet? Yes!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-20, 08:43 PM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
Glad that worked out for you!

My first "internet" bike was a 1976 Nishiki International I bought in San Diego for $60 a week before traveling there for a convention. I fixed it up and rode it all over San Diego in the days before I had to show up at our booth. After the convention I ran down to the loading dock and picked up as much cardboard as I could carry, made a box, and shipped it home with our booth (story here: An adventure in San Diego, March 3rd, 2007). Last fall I needed a gravel bike and I needed it to be cheap so I picked up a "Motobecane" Mulekick from BikesDirect (this particular build is no longer available). I selected that model because it came with Apex 1x11 and hydraulic brakes which I wanted to try out. It's been great. I've built a few bikes so assembling it was pretty easy. I was a tidge nervous about the sizing but I guessed right. I tend to prefer the bars at the same height as the seat so I had to find a new stem but that all worked out. I spent today modifying some fenders I had lying around to fit it.

I wouldn't recommend buying something like that unless you are a good enough mechanic or have a friend who is. But if you don't mind doing the work yourself it can end up being a lot of fun. I still do a lot of business with my local bike shop so I don't feel terribly guilty.
Old 04-26-20, 11:41 AM
davethelefty

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL, Cannondale Topstone 6, Co-op Cycles CTY 1.1

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by wthensler
I didn’t ask about return shipping. I assume you could use the same box - shipping is $ 89 dollars ground - not a deal breaker.

But would certainly like to avoid sending it back. Most obvious reason would be lack of fit, or perhaps being really disappointed with the bike in general, both of which I highly doubt.

Post Note: After poking around on the internet, I discovered Giant makes the Defy Advanced Pro 0 Red. It appears to be virtually identical to the Endurace CF SLX 9, and is the same price, with the exception of some frame dimension differences. Notably, the Canyon has a shorter wheelbase, and of course, is purchased online.

Also of note is that I have noticed a big push by SRAM into electronic shifting. It looks like Canyon and Giant no longer carry Shimano Di2 in favor of SRAM. Interesting.........
I read/heard at some point that if you were returning a bike to Canyon that shipping was free. But I've not seen anything specific since then. What was odd was Canyon's statement that shipping was free both directions. Unless Canyon is running specials, shipping is $89 as you said.

I think Canyon is still selling Di2 bikes -- notably the CF SL Disk 8.0 Di2, which is a $3700 bike.

The Velofix mechanic I worked with has that bike and he wanted/preferred Di2 because it didn't rely on Bluetooth. I don't know enough about the products/technologies to say if that's true, or is a good or bad thing, just his opinion.
Old 04-26-20, 01:03 PM
wthensler 

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 250 Posts
I spoke with Canyon this past week. I was told by the rep. that they are only offering SRAM eTap on 2020 bikes. I’m okay with that, because, as much as I love Shimano Di2, if I really want it I’d rather wait until the new release of Dura Ace and Ultegra. Later this year? What will COVID do to this - can’t be good.

So, I’m taking a different perspective and looking at bikes separately from the components. I do know I will go electronic, and I may end up with either SRAM (sooner) or Shimano (upon release), or maybe both.
Old 05-03-20, 09:05 AM
ShaunB

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FloridaDave
Well, I'm completely sold on Canyon and value for the money. So for your bike, a lot of good stuff for the price. Are you looking at the CF SLX 9.0 with eTap? I just don't know much about eTap or Di2. I did meet a guy that works for Velofix and he himself has an Endurace, though I think it's a CF SL 8.0, because he said he had Di2.

And yes, this guy who's a professional bike mechanic is high on Canyon. I think that says a lot.

As for sizing, I'm 5'11" (or used to be, when I was younger...) and I bought a medium. The Velofix mechanic is a bit smaller and he bought a small. I think Canyon's sizing guidelines are pretty right on the money, unless you have a long or short torso or long legs and need to adjust upward/downward.

Good luck! Can't wait to read your Canyon stories!!!!

Hi Dave, great bike and glad you’re happy with your choice. I’ve been looking at the exact bike and a few other ones and reading posts like this just confirms Canyon in the right one to go for.... but am struggling to get the right size. I’m 5’10” or 177cms and 83cm inseam, which puts me right in the middle of the small and medium. You look to be 2-3cms taller than me - how did you find the medium fits you?
i have a Specialized Secteur 54cm and it feels a tiny bit cramped at times, so was leaning towards the medium as it’s slightly bigger (by millimetres) than the Specialized and the reach is a tiny bit more, whereas the small is a bit shorter.
be keen to get your feedback
Old 05-03-20, 12:58 PM
davethelefty

Originally Posted by ShaunB
Hi Dave, great bike and glad you’re happy with your choice. I’ve been looking at the exact bike and a few other ones and reading posts like this just confirms Canyon in the right one to go for.... but am struggling to get the right size. I’m 5’10” or 177cms and 83cm inseam, which puts me right in the middle of the small and medium. You look to be 2-3cms taller than me - how did you find the medium fits you?
i have a Specialized Secteur 54cm and it feels a tiny bit cramped at times, so was leaning towards the medium as it’s slightly bigger (by millimetres) than the Specialized and the reach is a tiny bit more, whereas the small is a bit shorter.
be keen to get your feedback
ShaunB -- I'm just under 5'11", so probably only about 1.5 cm taller than you, and my inseam is about 1.5 cm less than yours. The medium size fits me perfectly.

At your size/height I think the small Canyon would be too small for you. I talked to a Velofix mechanic who has a Canyon (Endurace 8.0) and he is probably 2-3 inches shorter than me and he was riding a small, and judging by his height I thought that would have been a good fit.

I think you'd find the medium just right, and at worst you might have to make a few seat/stem adjustments. On my bike I flipped the stem for a rise rather than the 6 degree drop. I had suspected I'd want a shorter, higher-rise stem but so far that hasn't been the case. I probably still do need to do a bit of fine tuning on the fit -- I think my seat is maybe 1+ cm too far forward, but I'm having so much fun riding the bike I haven't bothered to make any adjustments.

I used to have a Specialized Roubaix once upon a time and it was a 56cm size, and that bike always seemed too long for me, but I never did anything to adjust the reach. By comparison this Canyon is a perfect fit, right out of the box (literally!!).

As for sizing, Trek recommends a 56cm for me, but Orbea recommends a 51cm!! Go figure...

Good luck. Can't wait to see the new bike pix!!!
Old 05-04-20, 04:02 AM
ShaunB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FloridaDave
ShaunB -- I'm just under 5'11", so probably only about 1.5 cm taller than you, and my inseam is about 1.5 cm less than yours. The medium size fits me perfectly.

At your size/height I think the small Canyon would be too small for you. I talked to a Velofix mechanic who has a Canyon (Endurace 8.0) and he is probably 2-3 inches shorter than me and he was riding a small, and judging by his height I thought that would have been a good fit.

I think you'd find the medium just right, and at worst you might have to make a few seat/stem adjustments. On my bike I flipped the stem for a rise rather than the 6 degree drop. I had suspected I'd want a shorter, higher-rise stem but so far that hasn't been the case. I probably still do need to do a bit of fine tuning on the fit -- I think my seat is maybe 1+ cm too far forward, but I'm having so much fun riding the bike I haven't bothered to make any adjustments.

I used to have a Specialized Roubaix once upon a time and it was a 56cm size, and that bike always seemed too long for me, but I never did anything to adjust the reach. By comparison this Canyon is a perfect fit, right out of the box (literally!!).

As for sizing, Trek recommends a 56cm for me, but Orbea recommends a 51cm!! Go figure...

Good luck. Can't wait to see the new bike pix!!!
FloridaDave - many thanks for the feedback. That's made my mind up and I have ordered the medium Endurace CF SL 7.0 Disc in blue. There are position adjustments I can make to make it fit just right....Looking to take delivery at the end of June. Will definitely send some pictures and feedback on my riding experiences.

Enjoy your bike.
Old 05-04-20, 07:34 AM
davethelefty

Originally Posted by ShaunB
FloridaDave - many thanks for the feedback. That's made my mind up and I have ordered the medium Endurace CF SL 7.0 Disc in blue. There are position adjustments I can make to make it fit just right....Looking to take delivery at the end of June. Will definitely send some pictures and feedback on my riding experiences.

Enjoy your bike.
Hey, that's good news. I know you'll love the bike, and that blue color is just spectacular. The newer Endurace 7.0's have DTSwiss wheels. I bought last year's model with Mavic wheels, so your bike is just a bit lighter than mine. They are awesome bikes -- looking forward to the pictures!!
Old 05-23-20, 07:00 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 88 Posts
Nice bike! The difference between this and an ultimate geometry wise is minimal
Old 05-24-20, 01:24 AM
ShaunB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jrasero
Nice bike! The difference between this and an ultimate geometry wise is minimal
Thanks. Got a message from Canyon that my bike will ship 1-5th June, so 4 weeks earlier than the initial date. Will post some pics once I get it.
99spokes .com is a great site to use to compare geometry. You’re right - not much difference between the Endurace and Ultimate, but after checking geometry I decided the Endurace is better for what I’m going to use the bike for and can make the riding position more aggressive if needed.
Old 06-07-20, 09:11 AM
Surubi

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
As an AARP volunteer who helps scam and fraud victims I have heard many tales of woe from people who bought on the internet, or sold without understanding payment security. I will never buy anything of value on the internet from an individual unless I had some way of determining his or her honesty. I have bought based on photos of used items (staged to be sure they were not copied from someplace) and have not been disappointed. From a dealer who I can confirm is actually in business - yes.
Old 06-07-20, 12:14 PM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
I bought my Wilier from a UK online retailer, zero issues at all. I've heard only good things about Canyon so enjoy it - I very nearly bought a bike from them myself this year.

In the end, I opted to support my local bike shop but they gave me a really good deal so no complaints.

Incidentally, I make most of my purchases online and have done for more than a decade. Amazon, Hong Kong retailers, never an issue, always use PayPal. I've bought expensive cameras, lenses etc. I even bought a car online in the UK a few years ago. Not worried about distance purchasing at all.
Old 06-07-20, 02:31 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
I bought this bike on the internet. Very happy with it. Colnago World Cup CX

Old 06-09-20, 08:25 AM
Tpsfoto

Bikes: Specialized Vita Limited, Giant Talon 2, Diamondback insight 2, Sepecialized Hardrock women's

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
I just got this from bicyclebluebook.com a Specialized Vita Limited carbon for $788.00 shipped in 4 days.
looks like no one ever ridden it.
This is a 2013 bike.

Old 06-10-20, 02:43 PM
lelenz

Bikes: Sirrus X-4

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
That is a good looking Canyon. Like the Color