Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What's the pre-load torque for a Chris King 1-1/8" threadless headset?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-20, 09:16 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts

I like the front end of my bike to be as taut as possible. I seem to notice that the front end of my bike develops a slight bit of slop in the handling about once a year. So I loosen my stem bolts and verify that the fork plug is snug enough and then re-do the preload on my cap bolt (without a torque wrench) and finally make sure my stem bolts are tightened correctly.

The tautness is there now, but I fear I may have overdone it with the pre-loading of the sealed bearings on the Chris King headset. I thought I felt a slight bit of notchyness but the handling on the road is good and no hands riding is good. Does anyone know if these Chris King bearings will be damaged if I go (slightly) overboard snugging up the fork plug cap screw?
Old 05-23-20, 09:53 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/29...63412763896395 Scroll down to final assembly and adjustment. BTW this took about 45 seconds to find. Andy
Old 05-23-20, 10:48 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/29...63412763896395 Scroll down to final assembly and adjustment. BTW this took about 45 seconds to find. Andy
Thanks for the link. I suspect I put more than 6 to 15 inch pounds of torque on the cap screw. I like the way the front end is handling though.
Old 05-23-20, 11:12 AM
bitpuddle

Bikes: Cinelli Nemo Tig / Battaglin Power Plus / Moots RCS

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Just enough to hold the headset together. As soon as you can apply the front brake and rock the bike back and forth without movement in the headset, you’ve tightened enough. Barely more than finger-tight.

If your headset loosens, you might have issues with the frame prep (head tube not faced/parallel, unevenly reamed, too of steerer not cut at 90 degrees, etc).
Old 05-23-20, 11:35 AM
stevoo
Stevoo

Bikes: Road and mountain tandems, single bikes too.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Deleted

Last edited by stevoo; 05-23-20 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-23-20, 02:34 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by bitpuddle
Just enough to hold the headset together. As soon as you can apply the front brake and rock the bike back and forth without movement in the headset, you’ve tightened enough. Barely more than finger-tight.
If your headset loosens, you might have issues with the frame prep (head tube not faced/parallel, unevenly reamed, too of steerer not cut at 90 degrees, etc).
+1. I never use torque readings for headsets. Easy way to check for sure is to put everything together, lift bike with the front end pointing down, turn front wheel and let it return to center on it's own. You want it to be just tight enough so the the fork just starts to move freely without any binding. No more, no less. Removing the handlebar so that the cables don't interfere with movement is necessary though. As bitpuddle mentioned if you're having problems with a CK headset loosening you may need to check everything noted.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 05-23-20 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-23-20, 02:40 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
As an old timer who cut his teeth on soft Campy headsets I learned to set things by rocking feel, after building up the bike. Usually for my own stuff I will fall on the lesser side of the fence as I'll revisit after a few rides. Now that Phil has brought out headsets my CK fling is pretty much over. I did like the CK feel when new but disliked the overhaul process. The tiny balls and lack of much space for grease didn't make me happy. But I will say the CK bearings do last a good while. Andy
Old 05-23-20, 10:46 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by bitpuddle

The bearings require preload.
Old 05-23-20, 11:28 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
The issue of the headset coming loose isn't the headset, its the stem. The topcap only helps to set the preload but can't hold everything together, especially since it has nothing solid to connect to; a star nut or plug isn't really that strong. Instead its the stem that holds the works together and you need to make sure you're getting that properly tight, typically 5nm is the torque on the stem bolts but after tightening the second bolt you need to recheck the first bolt you tightened and after double check the second bolt. I've had to do as many as 3 checks as one bolt can lose some tension once the other bolt is tightened. Can also use fibergrip if a carbon steerer to help prevent slipping as well.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 05-24-20, 06:28 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
I like the front end of my bike to be as taut as possible. I seem to notice that the front end of my bike develops a slight bit of slop in the handling about once a year. So I loosen my stem bolts and verify that the fork plug is snug enough and then re-do the preload on my cap bolt (without a torque wrench) and finally make sure my stem bolts are tightened correctly.

The tautness is there now, but I fear I may have overdone it with the pre-loading of the sealed bearings on the Chris King headset. I thought I felt a slight bit of notchyness but the handling on the road is good and no hands riding is good. Does anyone know if these Chris King bearings will be damaged if I go (slightly) overboard snugging up the fork plug cap screw?
if I’m reassembling my front end (King threadless h/s, carbon fork) I get everything in place then give the stem a few GENTLE taps with a rubber mallet right at the steerer end, to ensure that everything is “bedded in” before I screw down the top cap. Once the stem bolts are torqued and both checked, the front end holds adjustment indefinitely. IIRC, the top cap torque is on the order of 2-3 Nm, but I usually do this by feel. I do torque the stem bolts, though

Last edited by Litespud; 05-24-20 at 06:35 AM.
Likes For Litespud: