Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Food and drink. Longer rides

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-20, 11:40 PM
eaglesandcycling

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
Food and drink. Longer rides

Last edited by eaglesandcycling; 05-15-20 at 06:53 AM.
Old 05-15-20, 06:41 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked 5,412 Times in 2,750 Posts
Someone asked a very similar question a couple of days ago, maybe some of those responses will be of help. https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...-question.html
Old 05-22-20, 08:57 PM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
What Is “Longer”?

Do you have easy access to potable water? Are we talking about the heat of summer (temperature extremes?) Any chance to hit up a gas station or convenience store (is chocolate milk ever a bad choice?). If you are going for an all day ride totally unsupported you should probably think about mounting everything on the bike. If it’s a “once in a while” ride a backpack may be OK.
Old 05-22-20, 09:12 PM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
Things I Like on Longer Rides

*Chocolate milk (nearly frozen in a Polar bottle before leaving).
*Vegan lunch meat with honest to goodness Swiss cheese sandwich.
*Almond butter, banana, and raspberry preserves sandwich.
*Nunn or Skratch nutrition for electrolytes.
*Apples, oranges, orange juice, peaches.
*Left over pizza.
*Organic energy bars.
*Cherry phosphate
Likes For venturi95:
Old 05-23-20, 08:29 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Mangos. Their messy but when you are out of energy they are a good boost.
Orange bell peppers. Delicious!
Coconut water.
Old 05-23-20, 12:00 PM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
Rye Whisky, Red vermouth, bitters.
oh, wrong forum. sorry.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 05-24-20, 09:15 AM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
I lose a lot of salt during rides, so I tend to crave salty things on long rides...particularly salty/sweet mix. One of my faves is a mix of 1/2 almonds, 1/2 dates (or craisens), sprinkled with extra lite salt or sea salt. Otherwise, it’s usually something like a clif bar.

If I’m going less than 3 hours, I usually end up just consuming a GU or two or maybe some electrolyte mix...Often on rides less than 2 hours, I just drink water and eat “real food” when I finish.
Likes For wheelsmcgee:
Old 05-29-20, 09:36 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Longer rides means getting off the bike and spending time for a leisurely meal. Perhaps at a park bench. Much like what we experience on an Organized Century at the lunch stop. Might be tough to replicate these days with the Virus situation.
Old 05-31-20, 08:58 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
I carry two water bottles and some powdered electrolyte mix no matter the distance. When I run out of water I stop and any house with someone out front mowing the lawn and ask if I can refill my water bottles. Often we meet some really nice folks and have a nice chat before we shove off again. People offer ice sometimes too if we look really bad and I have even been offered a popsicle. Last fall at a water stop the farmer hauled our group to the top of a hill in the back of his truck to show us the windmills he has installed to help produce extra farm income with electricity generation. Nice way to meet some new folks. Almost everyone is really nice, and if they are not, just go a little further down the road instead. Surprisingly, even people with posted no trespassing signs everywhere generally are really nice and seem happy to have someone stop and talk to them for a few minutes.
Old 05-31-20, 10:39 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4417 Post(s)
Liked 4,526 Times in 3,028 Posts
I swear by orange juice. Long days on the C&O and a bottle of OJ at a pit stop and I was rejuvenated. I know it can cause tummy trouble in some.
Old 06-01-20, 02:36 AM
richdirector

Bikes: Rohloffed Ti Lynskey 29er, Sonder Camino ti Gravel Bike, Mercian Tourer, Lynskey road bike, Brompton S2L-X folding bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Peanut butter and jam sandwich or bagel, banana, date cake, small bag of salted baby potatoes (excellent carb dump) emergency gel, jelly babies sometimes... All this if over 50 miles otherwise pack light for anything under 2 hours.
Old 06-01-20, 02:50 AM
ypspidsi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fruits, vegetables, nuts, sandwiches, canned food.
Old 06-01-20, 07:05 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
The OP's definition of a longer ride was 3 hours or more. I rode 3 1/2 hours yesterday. In the middle of the second climb, I stopped and drank an ensure. It's a little weird, but they are made for people who get no other nutrition, so it's a pretty balanced formula. Might not be the most weight efficient food, but I tend to be a little dehydrated, so the water content is good.
Old 06-01-20, 07:23 AM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Under 3 hour, just water. More... I can drink enough to empty my bottles at any time. Fig Newton's or cookies, if longer than 6+ hours I'll try to stop somewhere and eat a lunch and a coffee, even if just a sub or fast food. I haven't mastered the mineral balance on really long hot humid days (95+ and east coast humidity). Some of those days I just cramp up hard after 8 hours no matter what and how much I drink and the impact lasts several days. My avg HR on my rides is 140-150 which is upper zone 3/lower 4 for my age so I am working it. The relative effort level I am doing greatly determines my food and fluid requirements and will for everyone. There is no miracle food or drink that solves a problem for everyone. What would be ideal is what those velodrone 24 hour record distance chasers use, continuous blood monitoring and feed and repenlish specifics as required. I'm not waiting for that device to hit the shelves anytime soon so we experiment and hope it works.

Last edited by u235; 06-01-20 at 07:47 AM.
Old 06-01-20, 07:44 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked 5,412 Times in 2,750 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I stopped and drank an ensure.
Also a good post ride recovery drink.