Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Garmin radar v3 is out

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Garmin radar v3 is out

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-20, 06:28 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
Where are you located?

North Creek.
Old 05-17-20, 07:36 PM
travelerman

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Nope. There are two types of people: 1) those that love their Varia and would replace it instantly if it was lost/broken and 2) those that haven't used one.
This.
Likes For travelerman:
Old 05-17-20, 10:01 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Carried the bike out, realized the Varia battery was dead while I was calibrating my power meter. I said to hell with it and rode anyway. Spent two hours feeling a little apprehensive, and looking behind me more often because of lane positioning.

It's just better to be riding with the radar. It makes its value known immediately. Not using it is like not taking your vitamins, it isn't the end of the world, but it's not ideal and feels a little off.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-18-20, 06:20 AM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest

Does the radar work in indoor profiles? That would at least reduce battery drain on the watch.
It does not with the edge series, but can’t tell if it’s the same with the Fenix.
Likes For kissTheApex:
Old 05-18-20, 01:59 PM
rtalain

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2016 Cannondale Supersix EVO HM, 2020 Lynskey GR300

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I would LOVE it if you could use the Varia in watch mode. If that was possible, I'd probably get a cheaper Edge, like the 530. The vibration on your wrist is easier to notice than the little chirp, especially in any kind of noisy environment.

Does the radar work in indoor profiles? That would at least reduce battery drain on the watch.
If you have a Garmin watch, you can get Varia alerts on your wrist.
Old 05-18-20, 02:04 PM
rtalain

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2016 Cannondale Supersix EVO HM, 2020 Lynskey GR300

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
As far as what I do when I get an alert is sometimes slide over if there's room to do so comfortably, but most of the time, I just hold my line and ride predictably. To me, the best use case is when I want to get over to make a left turn. If the radar is clear, I look over my shoulder and move into the roadway. If the radar shows cars, I know I don't even have to bother looking.
Likes For rtalain:
Old 05-22-20, 11:48 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I haven't been honked at once since getting the radar.

It's kind of like talking vs talking over the internet, there's no intonation, etc. A car horn can mean "get on the sidewalk Lance" or it can mean "know that I'm behind you." I've been riding in the middle of the lane (residential streets, and traffic is still pretty light in most places) and moving over when the alert goes off, the driver sees me do that and they see my steady light start flashing at them. They know I'm aware of their presence. No need to honk. It's one thing to get honked at in your isolated car with the radio playing, it's a lot more jarring on a bike. Never felt like it would startle me into crashing or anything, it's just unpleasant.
Old 05-22-20, 03:09 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Interestingly, I haven't either.
Old 05-22-20, 04:40 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I have, but I definitely think it has reduced the potential confrontations. Generally, non-psychos will behave properly if they think you aren't deliberately trying to be a road-hog.
Old 05-23-20, 07:35 AM
tntyz

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts

It's kind of like talking vs talking over the internet, there's no intonation, etc. A car horn can mean "get on the sidewalk Lance" or it can mean "know that I'm behind you." I've been riding in the middle of the lane (residential streets, and traffic is still pretty light in most places) and moving over when the alert goes off, the driver sees me do that and they see my steady light start flashing at them. They know I'm aware of their presence. No need to honk. It's one thing to get honked at in your isolated car with the radio playing, it's a lot more jarring on a bike. Never felt like it would startle me into crashing or anything, it's just unpleasant.
In Wisconsin, there used to be a section of the traffic code that if you were moving slower than 50% of posted speed and a car honked, you had to pull over to let them pass. This applied to all slow-moving vehicles, but there was no exclusion for bicycles.
Old 05-24-20, 12:52 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by August West
I have both too and agree the Flare RT is brighter and more visible in normal flash mode. But when the Varia goes into hyper-flash as it senses an approaching object they look about the same brightness and attention getting factor to my eye. Have you set them up and tried this little test? I'm curious if it is just my perception or others see the same thing.
I had no idea the Varia goes into hyper-flash. Does it do that by default?
Old 05-24-20, 12:53 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
I just want the d-shape post thingy.... dont care about gen3. I have gen2 and gen1
Old 05-24-20, 01:02 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Greiselman
How do you envision mounting the radar unit? I also want to keep my Flare but if I want both the light and the radar unit to be level and I'm not sure if I have the real estate on my seatpost for both units + a small seatbag.
Mount the radar unit on the seat post as usual; mount the flare under the saddle. I run tubeless, so I don't need a saddlebag. I've got a plug kit, CO2, and a multi-tool in my jersey.
Old 05-24-20, 04:04 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by RNAV
I had no idea the Varia goes into hyper-flash. Does it do that by default?
As far as I know, mine has always done it. You can test it easy by just turning on to day flash and walking up from behind the bike so the radar sees you as an approaching object. I discovered by accent one day and was surprised how bright it appeared to be. I'm not sure if the intensity increases but the flash rate does causing it to at least appear much brighter.
Old 05-24-20, 04:07 PM
August West

Originally Posted by RNAV
Mount the radar unit on the seat post as usual; mount the flare under the saddle. I run tubeless, so I don't need a saddlebag. I've got a plug kit, CO2, and a multi-tool in my jersey.
That's exactly what I do. I like the radar and long battery life of the Varia with the light turned off but like the brighter light and compact, hidden look of the Flare RT. I switched back and forth few times and finally decided why not just run them both and turn off the light on the Varia.
Old 05-24-20, 04:15 PM
August West

Originally Posted by spdntrxi
I just want the d-shape post thingy.... dont care about gen3. I have gen2 and gen1
I ordered the whole kit, part #010-10644-12 since it shows there are all 3 shims included. It arrived Friday but only had the 2 shims the 510 came with so I ended up RMA'ing it. The rep. I talked to said the photo was wrong and the new Universal Mount Kit that has the 3 shims isn't out yet. Also said I wasn't the only one who was mislead by the wrong picture. He said when they do release the new mount kit it will have a different part #. Wish I could order just the D shaped shim since I don't need any of the other stuff in the kit.
Old 05-24-20, 04:49 PM
spdntrxi

Originally Posted by August West
I ordered the whole kit, part #010-10644-12 since it shows there are all 3 shims included. It arrived Friday but only had the 2 shims the 510 came with so I ended up RMA'ing it. The rep. I talked to said the photo was wrong and the new Universal Mount Kit that has the 3 shims isn't out yet. Also said I wasn't the only one who was mislead by the wrong picture. He said when they do release the new mount kit it will have a different part #. Wish I could order just the D shaped shim since I don't need any of the other stuff in the kit.

yes I saw that and read the description (2 shims) and thus I didn't order . Dumb Garmin
Old 05-24-20, 05:04 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
how easy or difficult is it to swap the varia mount(s) between different bikes? this coming from a guy that has bought two additional garmin “out front” computer handlebar mounts because i found it to be a pita when wanting to swap mounts between bikes. .
Old 05-24-20, 05:16 PM
spdntrxi

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
how easy or difficult is it to swap the varia mount(s) between different bikes? this coming from a guy that has bought two additional garmin “out front” computer handlebar mounts because i found it to be a pita when wanting to swap mounts between bikes. .
it's super easy... take all of a couple seconds. But I'm lazy and will buy mounts. I have 4 bikes that I ride and 3 mounts. Only 2 bikes have the same shaped seat post.
Likes For spdntrxi:
Old 05-24-20, 05:17 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Like he said, if you already have one (I do), not much incentive to upgrade. I have a Wahoo that links up via Ant+, so the bluetooth functionality isn't a draw. I guess if you didn't have a bike computer and wanted to use your smartphone with the radar, you might be interested.

I'm curious who is interested in just the radar without the taillight, especially given that it's a really good/visible light. But they must have thought there was a market for it.
I have a Cygolite Hot Shot Pro 150 that is everything I could want in a tail light. Standalone radar makes sense to me.
Old 05-24-20, 05:50 PM
spdntrxi

Garmin just need to buy cycliq.. or make a radar and video recording unit all in one unit and then have a mode where is only records on radar pickup. I'd buy it yesterday
Likes For spdntrxi:
Old 05-24-20, 06:19 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
it's super easy... take all of a couple seconds. But I'm lazy and will buy mounts. I have 4 bikes that I ride and 3 mounts. Only 2 bikes have the same shaped seat post.
thanks. sounds like we are of the same mindset.
Old 05-24-20, 06:55 PM
August West

yes I saw that and read the description (2 shims) and thus I didn't order . Dumb Garmin
I saw the description too but figured it might be wrong (since it only includes 2 rubberbands, not 4 like the description says) and why would they update the picture and still sell the old kit? Oh well, it didn't cost anything since they gave me a full refund including shipping. The round post works good enough on my D seat post but will get the updated D shim when available. Or maybe I can find someone who purchased a 515 but doesn't need the D shim.