Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What do old people ride, lets see your bikes

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What do old people ride, lets see your bikes

Old 05-21-20, 10:42 AM
camjr

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring, 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 99 Posts
I just added a Brooks B17 saddle and microfiber bar tape to the '76 Motobecane Grand Touring. Comfortable right out of the box!

Likes For camjr:
Old 05-21-20, 05:02 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,565 Times in 1,214 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
It's lugged titanium?
Yes, 93' Miyata Team Ti. Just a tad too big for me, but the ride makes up for it.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 05-22-20, 07:53 AM
Lenton58 

Bikes: Vitus 979, Simplon 4-Star, Woodrup, Gazelle AB, Dawes Atlantis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 42 Posts
Here I am with two of the four I am riding these days on the flood plains and levees on local rivers. On this day, a friend was riding my blue Dawes Atlantis. It's on clinchers with a mixture of Ultra/600, Nitto and other bits, including sealed hubs and BB. It's a 58cm — the largest size I can ride.

The red bike is a 56cm Gazelle Champion Mondial AB. It rides on tubs, French rims with Campy Record hubs. Sylvan Lites for pedals, sealed BB, Nitto bars and stem, Ultegra brakes and a close ratio Shimano 600 transmission up front for riding on the flat and in the head-winds that come off the nearby sea. If I have to ride on grades, the same rings are great — I just don't do screaming descents on 44T — and don't wanna!!! ) I think there is a Regina cluster at the rear.

The Gazelle is a terrific ride, if not a bit stiff cuz the BB is pinned in four places for racing; it does NOT move. The Dawes is a pretty bike. A previous owner had the stove enamel paint and graphics restored by Argos of England. I originally built this machine for a friend, and accordingly fitted it with a sturdy, sports-touring wheel set. I had a pro

build them up. The rims are from Orange Velo. A lot of it is Shimano 600 of some flavour, Sylvan Lite pedals. Stem and bars from Nitto.

BTW: if you don't know Nitto of Tokyo, I recommend their stuff very highly. Many of their staff have been there for a long time making retro parts that are beautifully turned out and polished— seat posts, quill stems and a wide selection of bars.

Last edited by Lenton58; 05-22-20 at 07:57 AM.
Old 05-22-20, 04:49 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8256 Post(s)
Liked 8,967 Times in 4,450 Posts
Originally Posted by Lenton58
Here I am with two of the four I am riding these days on the flood plains and levees on local rivers. On this day, a friend was riding my blue Dawes Atlantis. It's on clinchers with a mixture of Ultra/600, Nitto and other bits, including sealed hubs and BB. It's a 58cm — the largest size I can ride..
They look nice from what we can see of them. I would like to see other pictures if you have them. tia
Old 05-22-20, 05:28 PM
Lenton58 

They look nice from what we can see of them. I would like to see other pictures if you have them. tia
Sure, and thanks for the interest. I'll get on that soon. I gave lots of pics of the Dawes ... just have to update the Gazelle.
Old 05-22-20, 08:10 PM
probe1957

Bikes: 2020 Scott Speedster 10 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by probe1957
Since I can’t figure out how to edit my post I will have to do it this way. So sorry.

This 63 year olds new ride. Scott Speedster 10 Disc. Aluminum frame. CF fork. 105 components. My only upgrade so far is the Selle Anatomica saddle.
Likes For probe1957:
Old 05-24-20, 08:37 AM
Lenton58 

Here are some better photos of the Gazelle AB (Reynolds 531c) and Dawes (Reynolds 531). I also ride a Vitus 979 (bonded aluminum) and a Simplon (perhaps conracted to Romani) in Reynolds 531.I have a Woodrup in pieces.

Old 05-24-20, 09:09 AM
Lenton58 

Originally Posted by Johnk3
I guess I am Old enough at 72 to count. Here is my current main ride.

I"m the same age (72), and I've wanted a Cinelli since I was 16 !— SIGH! What a beauty!
Old 05-24-20, 01:30 PM
big john

Originally Posted by Lenton58
Here are some better photos of the Gazelle AB (Reynolds 531c) and Dawes (Reynolds 531). I also ride a Vitus 979 (bonded aluminum) and a Simplon (perhaps conracted to Romani) in Reynolds 531.I have a Woodrup in pieces.
Thanks! Love the colors on the Dawes.
Likes For big john:
Old 05-24-20, 05:26 PM
Lenton58 

Thanks! Love the colors on the Dawes.
Thanks John! As a previous owner explained to me, the colors are as an exact replica that "Argos" could manage to produce. That meant the 'fade' between the two hues had to be like the original. The Dawes decals were produced from scratch. The only thing missing is a replica of the Union Jack which was originally found on the downtube. (I cannot imagine what the difficulty was.) At the time it was done, Argos was the only restoration facility that still used stove enamel.

This was a pretty expensive build — by my standards anyway — and went over budget. It's a very nice ride, and the geometry is perfect for getting power down on the cranks. The 58cm frame is a bit big for me at 5'9", but it handles well ... so OK. The old Weinmann (??) brakes don't come up to stopping power like say Ultegra/600, or even the inexpensive DiaCompe 101's (which I really like a lot) that are on my single-speed Simplon 4-Star. Being on clinchers, I don't have to carry a spare tub — just a tube in a sock and a cartridge inflater stuffed in my bum bag. My other bikes need my carrying around a folded tub. I've walked home too many times. )
Old 05-24-20, 08:36 PM
akohekohe
The Professor

Bikes: Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT, AZUB TiFly

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
AZUB TiFly
Likes For akohekohe:
Old 05-27-20, 10:06 AM
Lenton58 

Two more

Here are two more bikes that I ride. Unlike my other bikes, the Vitus 979 came built up with Mavic rims, Campy hubs and a collection of Sugino bits. It had been raced in Iron Man competition, and a mid-80's crash in Hawaii retired the previous owner for life. Nicknamed by racers as "The Noodlle", even I can flex it enough to induce auto changing on the cluster. The renowned Sean Kelly rode one to huge success in Europe. He was not heavy as I understand, and he was noted for a smooth riding style. A commensurate fact is that this bonded Duraluminum frame had two versions. Some were water-marked and destined to be team bikes. These machines were "pinned" at the lower bracket shell thereby reducing flex. The record shows that these frames were assembled by a French Aerospace Company, which makes sense cuz the French were early innovators in composite materials airframes. However, my research suggests that the team bikes were finished in the Vitus workshops.

The Italian Alan was a similar idea, but the tubes were a mechanical fit. Many 979 Vitus bikes came apart in time. The last place known to have rebonded them was in Vancouver — gone years ago. It is reported that it was not the bond that failed. It was corrosion between the bonding agent and the aluminum tubing. So any owner is best advised to keep these frames well waxed if riding in the rain, and wiping them down after use. Mine is still rock solid. The ride feels like steel — just flightier due to the lightness.

Next is a Simplon ... from a Swiss company that originally built boats before getting into bikes. Later, they got into top-flight, off-road machines. This is a Four Star road model in Reynolds 531. There was a 'Five Star' model; there is little evidence of them left around. From what I have seen in a few photographs, I want one!

Simplon's early machines are a bit of a mystery, and I can't find out much about them. It bears a striking resemblance to a Romani — an Italian firm that built a lot of frames on contract for big names in European cycling — especially when demand out-stripped in-house production. One wonders .....

This bike was another of my frame-up builds, and put together as single speed. Mavic tub rims and 600 hubs — the rear hub being a 124 mm spaced Shimano 7 speed of the short-lived type where the cogs are stacked on splines and can be lifted out like in the modern cluster. This allowed a spacer set and a single BMX cog to be fitted. With some cutting and filing, I built up a 600 spider and ring combo that worked to give me a perfect chain line.

The frame triangle is asymmetrical — 56x54. This is perfect for my body dimensions. If I were to order a bespoke frame, I'd insist on the same dimensions. The geometry and feel of the bike show every sign of it's being intended for serious road racing, but my cranks may be too long, and I have to be alert to pedal strikes. No problem really cuz I ride merely for exercise. Still, I do get them ) I love riding this bike!

Vitus 979

Simplon 'Four Star'
Old 05-27-20, 12:45 PM
big john

When I joined the road bike club in 1989 several people had Vitus bikes and most complained about the noodle factor. They were all aluminum except one woman had a cf Vitus and she was quite fast in the mountains.
At least 2 people had the Alan bikes break at the headtube. Haven't seen one of those bikes in ages.
Old 05-31-20, 07:08 PM
TricycleTom

Bikes: Jeunet 12, Car-Cycle X-4, Aerovironment Charger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Aluminum has to be treated before bonding much as steel should be primed before painting. West System epoxy sells what you need in small quantities. The air has plenty of moisture to do the dirty deed through wax.
These early frames did not take advantage of the lower density of aluminum to maintain adequate wall thickness with a larger diameter. Thus the "noodle factor."
Old 06-01-20, 12:29 AM
nishikiroadace

Bikes: 20

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts
I'm using this team bike nowadays. A nice 1986 Zullo with all the right bits.

1986 Transvemij (TVM) Zullo.
Likes For nishikiroadace:
Old 06-01-20, 02:52 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Finished building this yesterday. Still have some adjustments to make but on a 15 mile first ride the bike performed really well, Fits me real good and is all day comfortable. The 7000 groupset is SWEEEET!

Pre first ride
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 06-01-20, 01:22 PM
jleeg

Bikes: Moseman with Campy NR circa 1979, Merlin Titanium from1993 with newly installed Campy Chorus 12, Raleigh Tamland II gravel grinder, Tommassini XFire with Campy Record

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 38 Posts

Reynolds 531 custom, built by Rodney Moseman, formerly of Lititz, PA., circa 1979. Campy NR. Sporting clinchers but i have the original tubular setup.

Merlin Titanium purchased in 1993 with Campy Chorus 12 and wheel upgrade (from original Chorus 8)

Last edited by jleeg; 06-11-20 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-03-20, 07:48 AM
ridinsince80

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Nice to see another T600 out there! I thought I was the only one . I bought mine in 1993 after I got my first real job. I still ride it. I will post pics later. I do feel a bit old school riding it as everyone out here in California rides bikes >3000. But it is a sweet touring bike indeed!
Old 06-03-20, 09:24 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,565 Times in 1,214 Posts
Originally Posted by ridinsince80
Nice to see another T600 out there! I thought I was the only one . I bought mine in 1993 after I got my first real job. I still ride it. I will post pics later. I do feel a bit old school riding it as everyone out here in California rides bikes >3000. But it is a sweet touring bike indeed!
Use the 'Quote' reply option when referring to older post so we can see what you are talking about.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 06-03-20, 11:08 AM
khosch
khosch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 1 Post
My husband and I just got these two

My husband (who is 76) and I just got these lovelies last weekend.
Old 06-03-20, 03:08 PM
MntnMan62

Bikes: Road - Motobecane Sprintour / Mountain - Schwinn Mesa GSX

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 45 Posts
Here are my two bikes. I haven't been on the mountain bike much because about a year and a half ago I decided to get on it after not riding it for years and years. On my way back up the trail I misjudged a dried stream bed and went over the handlebars. My upper body was fine but my legs both came down on either the bike or rocks or both. Both swelled up something fierce. Nothing broken but the swelling didn't go down for months. I am now putting in the time on the road bike with the goal of ultimately giving the mountain bike another go when I'm in shape and have lost a fair amount of weight. When my son was first born about 17 years ago I was able to go up and over large fallen trees so I had some skills and this bike was more than up to the task. Now I have to get myself up to the task. I love both bikes.

Likes For MntnMan62:
Old 06-03-20, 03:37 PM
big john

Originally Posted by MntnMan62
Here are my two bikes. I haven't been on the mountain bike much because about a year and a half ago I decided to get on it after not riding it for years and years. On my way back up the trail I misjudged a dried stream bed and went over the handlebars. My upper body was fine but my legs both came down on either the bike or rocks or both. Both swelled up something fierce. Nothing broken but the swelling didn't go down for months. I am now putting in the time on the road bike with the goal of ultimately giving the mountain bike another go when I'm in shape and have lost a fair amount of weight. When my son was first born about 17 years ago I was able to go up and over large fallen trees so I had some skills and this bike was more than up to the task. Now I have to get myself up to the task. I love both bikes.
If you haven't ridden a modern mountain bike you will be shocked at how much better they are. From about 2017 on they are safer and a lot more stable. If a new bike is not in the cards I recommend a dropper seatpost if your bike can fit one. I scoffed at the dropper for years until I started riding with one. I wouldn't want to ride off road without one.
Likes For big john:
Old 06-03-20, 04:00 PM
Night Treker

Bikes: Trek 1200 Specialized HardRock Hybrid GT Tempest MTB

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Old.....?

Old enough to know better but not old enough to quit
Likes For Night Treker:
Old 06-03-20, 04:03 PM
Night Treker

Bikes: Trek 1200 Specialized HardRock Hybrid GT Tempest MTB

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts

just purchased too smal for me so maybe for parts or sell (undecided)

for the smooth road

for my neighborhood streets

Newest member

Last edited by Night Treker; 07-14-20 at 06:34 PM.
Likes For Night Treker:
Old 06-03-20, 10:32 PM
MntnMan62

Bikes: Road - Motobecane Sprintour / Mountain - Schwinn Mesa GSX

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 45 Posts
If you haven't ridden a modern mountain bike you will be shocked at how much better they are. From about 2017 on they are safer and a lot more stable. If a new bike is not in the cards I recommend a dropper seatpost if your bike can fit one. I scoffed at the dropper for years until I started riding with one. I wouldn't want to ride off road without one.
I have no doubt bikes have changed dramatically over the past 20 years. I'll get back on the one I have, get comfortable on the single track near my house and then will probably spring for a 27.5 with dual suspension to help my aging body. But until then, you can bet I'll enjoy that Schwinn. It will always have a place in my stable.
Likes For MntnMan62:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.