Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Why is it sooooo hard?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Why is it sooooo hard?

Old 05-18-20, 01:04 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
I just turned 62 and depending on your definition of riding, I've been back in the saddle for a year or so after 25 years off. I have Friday's off so that is the day I have set aside for a big bike ride, this in addition to daily shorter rides. I've already completed week two of a proposed 20 weeks of riding a metric century every week.

In the past a metric century was something that if I were going to do one required a lot of preparation. Now I just get on the bike and ride 62 miles.

To get to this point required many visits to the hurt locker.
Likes For Thomas15:
Old 05-18-20, 07:10 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Rain, rain, go away --- and don't come back another day!
Old 05-18-20, 08:28 PM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by 2wheels4ever
Well, it's like they say . . . It is was easy, anyone could do it!
...and they'd call it football!
Old 05-18-20, 08:34 PM
rando_couche

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I once took a winter off. Had some mental malaise or something, I don't remember. I do remember trying to pick it back up in the spring. Took me until August to ride strong again, and I took an Never Again vow.
When we lived in Bend (OR), I'd take the winter "off" and go xc skiing. The go-fast kind: groomed trails and carbon-fiber skis. Mercy, that was fun! And I'd get back on the bike rarin' to go and fit like you wouldn't believe! I miss those days...
Old 05-18-20, 08:37 PM
rando_couche

Originally Posted by Wanderer
Rain, rain, go away --- and don't come back another day!
Now that I live at the Oregon Coast, where it rains a lot, I've come to realize that riding in the rain really doesn't bother me that much. As long as it's not raining when I start. Then I'll go do some "miles" on the trainer.
Old 05-21-20, 05:09 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

I hung a new flag on the pole this morning, getting ready for Monday. If it rains, at least there is a new flag up. If it's nice, my Dad's, or Uncle's casket flag will be flying. Both WW II Vets. I was the only one to serve in my immediate family (brothers and sisters), as a Medic in Vietnam.

I got 30 miles in this afternoon, by riding around the flooded areas along the Fox River Trails. Did it in about two and a half hours, which is pretty good this early.

My legs felt it, and I'm glad supper is done, and I'm sitting down. I'll see what tomorrow brings, as rain is in the forecast (plus heat) for the next 8 days.

I think I will make it for Memorial Day. I don't do rain any longer, unless I have to.!
Old 05-22-20, 07:09 AM
355Mono

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
3 seasons ago at 62 my son and I rode our first century,with our bike club. I have been a life long rider, and have done plenty of longer, challenging rides, usually just under the 100 mark, which never mattered to me, as a number. We averaged 16mph for the 100 miles, which I was proud of. Seems like the last couple seasons have been tougher on me. I've been riding a fair amount this chilly spring, and really putting in more effort. My progress has been slow, and somewhat painful. I am pushing myself harder than the past seasons. I'm finally feeling stronger. The point is for me, (and most), is that it takes HARD work to make real progress. Getting out of my comfort zone, feeling the lactic acid build up again, gulping air, are all part of getting stronger. I feel a little bad when other riders fly by me, but at 65, I don't get discouraged. I realize these people are half my age, THEN realize, they can be even younger! Old guys are kicking my ass too, but by mid-summer, I'll be right on your wheel!
Likes For 355Mono:
Old 05-22-20, 06:50 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Did thirty again today - and it was much easier on me! Good news for me!
Likes For Wanderer:
Old 05-24-20, 08:36 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Did 35 yesterday, and I still feel it today --- not sure about today yet. Darn it!
Old 05-24-20, 12:42 PM
bikehoco

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
It’s well documented in medical and scientific journals that the earth gravitational pull varies by individual and is directly proportional to the number of gray hairs a person has.
Old 05-25-20, 04:24 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

We got our 42 miles today. It was a nice, clear day, but pretty hot and humid! Not much wind. Temp was in the upper 80s, might have hit 90, and quite humid. Took us just at 4 hours. Damn, it was HOT! Drank about 80 oz of water during the ride, and still lost 6 lbs. Lots of iced tea, and spaghetti for supper!

All along the Fox River Trail - North Aurora, IL to St Charles, to Oswego, and back to North Aurora.

We rode for our Brothers and Sisters, who are not able, and sported American Flags for the ride.

My thighs are really complaining tonight - I hope it rains for the next three days.

Last edited by Wanderer; 05-25-20 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05-25-20, 05:15 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8188 Post(s)
Liked 8,844 Times in 4,392 Posts
[QUOTE=Wanderer;21496670]We got our 42 miles today. It was a nice, clear day, but pretty hot and humid! Not much wind. Temp was in the upper 80s, might have hit 90, and quite humid. Took us just at 4 hours. Damn, it was HOT! Drank about 80 oz of water during the ride, and still lost 6 lbs. Lots of iced tea, and spaghetti for supper!

All along the Fox River Trail - North Aurora, IL to St Charles, to Oswego, and back to North Aurora.

We rode for our Brothers and Sisters, who are not able, and sported American Flags for the ride.

My thighs are really complaining tonight - I hope it rains for the next three days.[/QUOTE

You can only get rest days when it rains? Drink lots of water and massage the muscles toward your heart. Some people use a foam roller but I haven't tried one.
Old 05-25-20, 05:26 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

If it rains, We have excuses!
Likes For Wanderer:
Old 05-26-20, 07:15 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bad night last night. Legs really hurt!

I am very surprised this morning, as I feel almost abnormal.

I think I will call Jim, to see if he wants to go for a ride, before it gets too hot! Maybe 20-25 easy miles.

It was brutal here yesterday, and they expect the same today.