Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Extremely casual DIY chainstay dimpling -- Hey, it works!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-20, 04:33 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts

So I found a set of Hectres recently at the co-op and have been wanting to find a use for them. I laced up a wheelset and found nothing I had would hold them (and the frame I was hoping to use wouldn't even hold ColdeVies).

I'd bought this 531 Trek a few years ago, knowing it was super rough. The hanger was bent pretty good and had a fair bit of rust (even for me). It turned into long term seatpost extraction and fixed cup adventure. After everthing was out, I found internally it's not it too bad of condition. I didn't have a plan for it, so it'd been hanging.

After seeing enough people with nice, polished rando conversions mention the stays had been crimped, I decided to try it with the Trek. I took vise-grips and my homemade headset press and started clamping in. It went surprisingly quick, in spite of going fairly slow. I probably should have put something around the jaws, paint loss is pretty bad. It did the job perfectly though, I brought in each side by 2-3mm and now the 42c tire fits with a safe amount of room.

Old 04-24-20, 08:51 PM
AJI125 

Bikes: 1972 Fuji The Finest | 1990 Bianchi Giro | 1999 LeMond Buenos Aires

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 134 Posts
Definitely some paint loss but the shaping looks pretty good from what I can see. And nice way to get some good wider tires on there. Not bad work at all! I went with a C clamp and some shaped wood blocks and it kinda turned out more dented than dimpled...
Old 04-24-20, 10:27 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
I need to do the same with a frame I have just hanging around unused.
Old 04-25-20, 08:57 AM
Dylansbob 

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

I had watched this video.

And thought the Trek was already so crunchy, it'd be worth a try. I was surprised how easy it was with the leverage from the visegrips. Once you've made the initial bend in the metal, it goes super quick.
Likes For Dylansbob:
Old 04-25-20, 11:54 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
It would be pretty simple to make a wood cradle for the outside of the stay. Drill a hole (roughly the diameter of the stay) through a piece of scrap wood, then saw the wood in half through the hole. Line with leather. I would also put some scrap leather between the nut and stay.
Old 04-25-20, 04:30 PM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 114 Posts
Hi,

I need to do something similar on the outside of the chain stay on an aluminum framed MTB that I use as a townie. It's setup as a 1X and I'd like to use a larger chain ring on the middle position. Does any one think this procedure would work.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Van
Old 04-25-20, 06:59 PM
Dylansbob 

I would not try this with an aluminum frame. Extremely likely it would burst the tubing.
Likes For Dylansbob:
Old 04-25-20, 09:43 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
Originally Posted by dylansbob
i would not try this with an aluminum frame. Extremely likely it would burst the tubing.
^this^
Old 04-25-20, 09:55 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

You can search "dimplin chainstays" and get a lot of different devices people have made. Here's my version, I had a decent sized C-clamp and some hardwood sitting around, some 1/2" square steel stock, a grinding wheel, fines, and a torch:

The piece of wood was filed and scraped to match the chainstay, and I put a shallow countersunk flat hole with a forstner bit on the backside for the clamp to set in.

I gave it a name.

As noted before, there are many ways to make a chainstay dimpler, including not making one at all, as the OP did. You want to protect the outside with something, concentrate the forces on the inside, and spread them out on the outside. Anybody with a bit of mechanical inclination will figure this out. Just start with a bit of force, check, and if you need more denting, give it a bit more. Rinse and repeat until desired clearance is done.

The dent doesn't have to be super long, as seen on many vintage bikes, and it certainly doesn't have to have a crease at the bottom. I'd avoid anything with anywhere near a sharp edge - you want to minimize creation of any stress risers on your frame.

Last edited by gugie; 05-25-20 at 09:49 PM.
Likes For gugie:
Old 04-26-20, 05:52 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Oh good now hundreds of nice old frames are not only getting ‘drewed’ they are getting “Dilberted” too. #Dilberted = crimping a bike frame for fatter tires

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 04-26-20, 06:19 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
I wouldn't do this just by ovalizing the stay, as you're sacrificing lateral rigidity. Dimpling/fluting sacrifices lateral rigidity too, but not nearly as much, as the flute acts like a stiffening rib, restoring much of the lateral rigidity removed by the change in section modulus.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 04-26-20, 06:23 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
^. What he said!

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 04-26-20, 09:33 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Oh good now hundreds of nice old frames are not only getting ‘drewed’ they are getting “Dilberted” too. #Dilberted = crimping a bike frame for fatter tires
Your wordsmithery here is impressive, as usual

And yes, @gugie, you're a dad, you're allowed to make dad jokes.
Originally Posted by gugie

● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 04-26-20, 09:47 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
^this^
This "Twice".
Ben
Old 04-26-20, 01:30 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,462 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Dylansbob
I had watched this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNX90sKhg0Q

And thought the Trek was already so crunchy, it'd be worth a try. I was surprised how easy it was with the leverage from the visegrips. Once you've made the initial bend in the metal, it goes super quick.
This made me cringe. But maybe I'll do it to my Super Course. Oy.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-26-20, 02:20 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
I'd not worry. I've toured on a tandem with DIY smushed chainstays. I did them with a wooden block hollowed out to half-round, an aluminum rod, and a pair of pliers. It's held up fine under 420lbs of team plus camping gear. I've carted 250lb drunks to their homes on the back of it. As long as you don't go crazy thin, and also don't crack the chainstays, I think it should be fine.
Old 05-25-20, 11:00 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I was thinking about this on my ride yesterday. On my Vitus 979, mind you - a decidedly un-modifiable bike. It's been bugging me, because I don't know why you picked Dilbert. Obviously I know the comic strip and such, but I am bad at memes and pop culture because I live under a rock, so I have to ask: why Dilbert? Will you deign to explain to this hayseed?

I am of course guilty of Dilberting, and I might extend the definition to adding tons of cheap braze-ons with a mapp torch.
Old 05-25-20, 04:02 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Hey, if what I'm doing is a Dilbert, I'll wear that with pride!

Over and over I see this obsession with "keeping a bike original", don't modify it, it'll on have the original paint once. Maybe we're just not talking about the same bikes. Modifying an early 70's bike boom frame isn't a sin. There are tons of them that are still OEM in the wild. Some bikes surely deserve to stay original. A lot of frames I run into are like ratty houses with good bones - they just need a refresh to be appreciated.

I've posted over and over that the number one thing you can do to make your bike ride better is to put your money in the tires, and the fatter, suppler tires you install, the better the ride. If you need to dimple the stays to provide enough clearance, what's the problem?
Old 05-25-20, 05:30 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
I might extend the definition to adding tons of cheap braze-ons with a mapp torch.
The "diving bell" cable stops are not cheap! But, oxy mapp or nothing.
Old 05-25-20, 06:18 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Hey, if what I'm doing is a Dilbert, I'll wear that with pride!

Over and over I see this obsession with "keeping a bike original", don't modify it, it'll on have the original paint once. Maybe we're just not talking about the same bikes. Modifying an early 70's bike boom frame isn't a sin. There are tons of them that are still OEM in the wild. Some bikes surely deserve to stay original. A lot of frames I run into are like ratty houses with good bones - they just need a refresh to be appreciated.

I've posted over and over that the number one thing you can do to make your bike ride better is to put your money in the tires, and the fatter, suppler tires you install, the better the ride. If you need to dimple the stays to provide enough clearance, what's the problem?
i agree completely, i just dont have the guts to dimple. My next 650b conversion will be an old falcon with 531 straight guage and huge clearance.
Old 05-25-20, 06:19 PM
scarlson 

Originally Posted by jackbombay
Ehh, thems fighting words! I use MAPP/air or oxy/propane and it's all just fine. Cheaper too!

Guess I am a dyed-in-the-wool Dilbert. I still want to know what the reference is! Or for that matter, who on earth is Drew?
Old 05-25-20, 09:02 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
I suspect that "Drew" was the now-unknown Ur-Mensch who gelded all the braze-ons and derailleur hanger off his Colnago or Jack Taylor to make it a fixie, and posted it on a forum. With enough research (maybe this could be a modern-day PhD project) a picture of his grinning face might be found.
Old 05-25-20, 09:35 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
Ehh, thems fighting words! I use MAPP/air or oxy/propane and it's all just fine. Cheaper too!
The oxy cylinders run out right quick, thats for sure, but with MAPP/air it seems it takes forever to actually get silver to flow, I'd rather spend more on oxy and have the steel hot for a much shorter period of time than spend so long with the MAPP air, that is at 6,200' in Idaho, maybe MAPP/air runs hotter at sea level?
Old 05-25-20, 09:53 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Hmm, I have a lot of them, paid under a dollar each on average. I’d be happy to share...even at retail you can get them at framebuildersupply.com for tree-fiddy a pair.

Last edited by gugie; 05-25-20 at 09:57 PM.
Old 05-25-20, 09:55 PM
scarlson 

maybe MAPP/air runs hotter at sea level?
Good point, all my experience is in Medford, 14ft above sea level. Also we've probably got different torches. Mine's one of the old-fashioned swirl flame things that howls terribly. Most small silver jobs, like decaleurs, I can get away with propane/air using that torch. With mapp/air I also used it for bronze brazing a few times and it seemed all right albeit somewhat slow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.