Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Single wall vintage touring rims

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Single wall vintage touring rims

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-20, 07:57 PM
eeuuugh

Bikes: Aerotek 4000, Trek 950, Huffy Nel Lusso

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 49 Posts
Rivendell used to sell, maybe still does, a rim made by Velocity with the box section reinforcements in the corners only, called the Twin Hollow. FWIW I think that's a snappy enough name to be a general term.
Old 05-25-20, 09:03 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
So then, what is a true clincher? The Tufo?
Here's a post from T-Mar that describes it well. It wasn't like a tubular or single-tube tire at all.

Originally Posted by T-Mar
The cycling misnomer that is my personal peeve, is the use of "clincher" to describe a "wired-on" tyre. Clincher refers to a tyre style developed in the 1890s. Clinchers had very thick rubber beads/edges that fit into a pronounced hook in the rim. The bead was solid rubber or hollow but there was no encased metal hoop like used in a "wired-on" tyre. A bicycle tyre monopoly driven by corporate greed virtually killed off both styles in the USA during the early 20th century. When the USA eventually rediscovered the "wired-on" tyre, they erroneously called it a "clincher".

People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-25-20, 10:15 PM
Feldman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts
Having built wheels as part of my job for 45 years, I will be rude and tactless about this and say that old single wall rims are terrible product and should be discarded if at all possible. Rims are a vastly improved product over the years, even something inexpensive like today's Weinmann or Sun rims will build more easily, hold a tire beyter, and make a stronger wheel than any 1970's clincher rims. Tubular rims haven't changed as much--what's to change?--but cluncher rims have. There are even quality 27" units still in production. Want to simulate vintage? Build a pair of Sun M13's and peel the labels off--polished silver for a bargain price and better than anything made in 1975!
Old 05-26-20, 06:38 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
So what is the correct term for these rims with hollow extrusions only at the shoulders, that are typically pinned? It's gotta be snappy, because right or wrong, millions of bike people and lots of component manufacturers and retailers are going to keep calling them "single-wall" if there isn't a convenient alternative...
Based on what I read somewhere, a long time ago, I call them channel section rims, as the small enclosed section in the corners look like channels. . It's may not be the best description but in my mind it provides distinction from single wall and box section.

This style rim looked to combine the advantages of both the single wall and box section rim. The small channels increased the rigidity and allowed for a simpler pinned joint, though at a weight penalty over box section. The one big advantage they retained was easier tyre mounting, which is considerable when you are touring in a remote region with only basic tools. Channel section rims have the deep trough between the channels, that the tyre bead can drop into, making it much easier to easier to get fit last section of bead over the sidewall.

I remember when Specialized introduced their Expedition grand touring model. For the first year, maybe two, they spec'd spec'd it with 700C, box section Mavic Module 3 rims. Even though these were the heavier/stronger Module rim, they were dropped relatively quickly in favour of the Super Champion 58. Shop talk was that they weren't strong enough for a fully loaded touring bicycle.

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
If we want to be correct in our usage, we should also stop calling wired-on tires "clinchers" since true clinchers are also extinct AFAIK.
Well, at least I've made one convert after all these years of preaching!

True clinchers may actually still be in use some parts of the world. They retained their popularity in Asia into at least the mid-1980s, as Araya was still cataloguing them at that time. The Asians preferred to called them beaded edge tyres and I imagine that some Asian tyre manufacturers continued to offer replacement tyres for quite a while after that. It wouldn't surprise if there are still a couple of small Asian companies still catering to this market segment with new rims and tyres.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 05-26-20, 09:59 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
Originally Posted by Feldman
Having built wheels as part of my job for 45 years, I will be rude and tactless about this and say that old single wall rims are terrible product and should be discarded if at all possible. Rims are a vastly improved product over the years, even something inexpensive like today's Weinmann or Sun rims will build more easily, hold a tire beyter, and make a stronger wheel than any 1970's clincher rims. Tubular rims haven't changed as much--what's to change?--but cluncher rims have. There are even quality 27" units still in production. Want to simulate vintage? Build a pair of Sun M13's and peel the labels off--polished silver for a bargain price and better than anything made in 1975!
I built a pair of wheels with SUN M13, I also built a couple of pairs with RIGIDA 13/20 from the early 1980's (maybe earlier). I don't recall having any issues building any of them and they are all still true. What is it about the SUN rims that makes them better than older rims?

Last edited by branko_76; 05-26-20 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-26-20, 11:18 AM
steve sumner

Bikes: '68 Masi Special road, Grail bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 58 Posts
originally in the 70s box section wired on (or clincher) rims were a response to the
then new x-narrow tires. borrowing a design from sewup rims it was how to make a rim
this narrow and light strong enough. box section rims weren't made in wider touring sizes
MTB sizes don't count. I far as I know there were no 700c/27" wide box rims ever.
Old 05-26-20, 12:49 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
There is another advantage of older style channel section rims (). I've noticed that they seem to be more resistant to fatigue cracking around the spoke holes. I haven't done any scientific study about this, but it's been my observation that box section rims often crack and fail around the spoke holes. FWIW I've never seen this happen to for example a mod 58. Not saying it never happens, just that I've never seen it. It seems that this type of twin tunnel channel section layout tends to have thicker material in the middle, along with less span across the width. IOW there is one small thick wall instead of two wide thin ones.

A bit of googling informs me that it is fairly common for people to misidentify this type of rim as single wall. It's still wrong. Single wall rims don't have any hollows at all.
Old 05-27-20, 09:56 AM
steve sumner

Bikes: '68 Masi Special road, Grail bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 58 Posts
I chose Super Champion mod.58s to use on my tandem bcux their strength
is legendary but keep in mind that ultimately the strength of a wheel lies
with the builder. and only the builder knows how well the rim is made.