Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Time titan Magnesium pedals: which cleats

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-20, 10:06 PM
MichelChartrand

Bikes: Rocky Mountain RC10, Felt Tk3, Specialized Hard Rock Ultra, Marinoni Spécial

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hellow fellow cyclists. I have a superb pair on Time Titan Magnesium pedals that I'd like to put on my Ompax Le Baron. I can't find the model of cleats that will fit with it. I have Time shoes from mid 2000's; I think they might fit. Are they the Time Bioposition Technology Cleats?
Thanks to you all!
Old 05-26-20, 07:23 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
When you have 10 posts post a picture of the pedals. Roger
Old 05-26-20, 07:51 AM
SuperLJ
"part timer"

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1978 Bertin C35, 1982 Trek 614, 1983 Trek 620, 1984 Nishiki Seral, 1995 Mercian Ko’M, 1998 Fisher HKEK, 2000 Rivendell RS, 2001 Heron Touring, 2016 Nobilette Custom

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 61 Posts
Do they look like this?

Those cleats are actually two-piece. In the above photo the cleats are attached to an adapter to make them work with shoes that have the three-hole Look drilling. Not sure if Time made shoes with that would work with those cleats into to 2000’s, but I could be wrong.

Here’s the only ones I could find on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Time-Biopos...0AAOSwIOxewHwD

Hope this helps!
Old 05-27-20, 08:21 PM
MichelChartrand

Bikes: Rocky Mountain RC10, Felt Tk3, Specialized Hard Rock Ultra, Marinoni Spécial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes these are the cleats i am looking for! On my red n grey titan model, it is mentionned that bioperformance technology is used. The cleats are sold tho. And i dont know if theyll fit my three holed RXE Time shoes.
Old 05-28-20, 07:13 AM
Retoocs

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
You will need the adapter plate to go from Time's 4 hole pattern to Look's 3 hole pattern.

If you can't find the Time adapter plate, you can hodge one together by using the Speedplay adapter and adding a shim. Time cleats are recessed slightly into the shoe. Luckily Speedplay used Time's bolt pattern on the main cleat. I can measure the thickness of you need it.
Old 05-28-20, 11:24 AM
SuperLJ
"part timer"

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1978 Bertin C35, 1982 Trek 614, 1983 Trek 620, 1984 Nishiki Seral, 1995 Mercian Ko’M, 1998 Fisher HKEK, 2000 Rivendell RS, 2001 Heron Touring, 2016 Nobilette Custom

Originally Posted by MichelChartrand
Yes these are the cleats i am looking for! On my red n grey titan model, it is mentionned that bioperformance technology is used. The cleats are sold tho. And i dont know if theyll fit my three holed RXE Time shoes.
I used to have the adapters you’re looking for, but I’m pretty sure they’re long gone - I’ll check. What size shoe do you wear? I used Time pedals for many years and still have a couple of pairs of shoes that I need to get rid of. They’re in the 42-43 size range. Just let me know.

[edit] Yep, still have the 3-hole to Time adapters, and a pair of rear cleats too. The forward cleats were sometimes brass and sometimes plastic. The only spare pair of those I have are plastic, and they’re shot. The Time shoes I have are 43s and in decent shape. They use the Time 4-hole bolt pattern, so no adapter required.

PM me if you’re interested.

Last edited by SuperLJ; 05-28-20 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-30-20, 11:01 PM
MichelChartrand

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all! Sorry for such a long time no responding. I am currently moving to a new place so my shoes are deep inside a box. I believe they are 44. I'll get back to you when all the hassle is over.
Old 06-13-20, 10:19 PM
MichelChartrand

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retoocs
You will need the adapter plate to go from Time's 4 hole pattern to Look's 3 hole pattern.

If you can't find the Time adapter plate, you can hodge one together by using the Speedplay adapter and adding a shim. Time cleats are recessed slightly into the shoe. Luckily Speedplay used Time's bolt pattern on the main cleat. I can measure the thickness of you need it.
Interesting! By shimming, I would add spacers under the adapter or over?
As for the forward cleat, which appears to be less durable, as anyone ever heard of a online document that would allow a 3d printer to make these?
Old 06-13-20, 11:14 PM
Retoocs

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
Interesting! By shimming, I would add spacers under the adapter or over?
As for the forward cleat, which appears to be less durable, as anyone ever heard of a online document that would allow a 3d printer to make these?
The Speedplay plate is flat. The TBT rear cleat is recessed 3.0 mm. The front cleat is recessed 1.5 mm. What I would do is mount the rear cleat directly to the Speedplay plate, add a 1.5 mm washer to the front cleat, and glue a 3.0 mm thick piece is plastic between the front and rear cleat.

I bought like a 10 pack of the plastic front cleats back sometime during 1997-1999. I just don't know where they are without having to go through my entire garage.

If you have it printed in industrial grade nylon, it might work. I would worry about delamination if you do it on a FDM printer. I would probably print molds and cast the cleat with chopped carbon fiber with epoxy.

Speedplay Cleat

TBT cleats

TBT Shim
Old 06-14-20, 07:28 AM
SuperLJ
"part timer"

Thank you all! Sorry for such a long time no responding. I am currently moving to a new place so my shoes are deep inside a box. I believe they are 44. I'll get back to you when all the hassle is over.
Michel -

I think your cheapest option to make your RXE / RXS shoes work with the old style Time pedals would be to search for “Time Equipe Pedals” on eBay, and look for pedals that have the cleats included. For example, If it were me, I would buy these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Time-Pro-Eq...wAAOSw90le1WNU

The cleats are included, already have the 4-hole to 3-hole adapters attached, and you’ll have a spare set of pedals.

To be clear, theses are the cleats you need (along with an adapter plate).

The cleats are almost impossible to find for sale new. Here’s a guy in Australia who has the plastic front cleats only for sale:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Time-Biopos...-/233604747297

Last edited by SuperLJ; 06-14-20 at 07:37 AM.
Old 06-14-20, 07:47 AM
SuperLJ
"part timer"

Here’s another eBay auction for Time pedals that includes the cleats and 3-hole adapters:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TIME-EQUIPE...MAAOSwwJVdOOvm

This place apparently has the front cleats for sale in aluminum, which obviously are more durable than the plastic ones:

Time pedal cleats - South Salem Cycleworks
Old 06-14-20, 09:28 PM
CyclingFool95 

Bikes: 1987 Pinarello Montello, 1996 Litespeed Classic, 1996 Colnago Master Light, 1997 Litespeed Ultimate, 2006 Opera Leonardo FP, 2006 Pinarello Paris FP, 1984 Pinarello Record, 89-ish Cornelo Profilo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperLJ
Here’s another eBay auction for Time pedals that includes the cleats and 3-hole adapters:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TIME-EQUIPE...MAAOSwwJVdOOvm

This place apparently has the front cleats for sale in aluminum, which obviously are more durable than the plastic ones:

Time pedal cleats - South Salem Cycleworks
I got a couple of pairs a few months ago from him. The plastic ones are intended with the magnesium and plastic pedals, and the metal ones for use with the aluminum bodied pedals.
Likes For CyclingFool95:
Old 06-15-20, 09:19 AM
xlbs
xlbs

Bikes: True North TI, Miyata 1000LT, Rodriguez tandem, Fontan vintage road, Sekine vintage road, Catrike recumbent

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I have several pairs of the front cleats in aluminum that I had CNC machined last year. I had the step files needed for the CNC work created from a pair of NIB plastic cleats. I have tested a pair over several hundred km and they work just fine.

They are $35US$ per pair. They come with the necessary 3 mm screws. You still need adaptors to fit these cleats. I will ship from Canada via Canada Post (slow but they get there)

Ian
Likes For xlbs: