Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Anyone using an allergy mask?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Anyone using an allergy mask?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-20, 12:10 PM
phtomita

Bikes: '87 Centurion Ironman, '86 Nishiki Tri-A, '84 Centurion PT15

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
My first week wearing mask on my commute.
- At the first day I was stopping very frequently to blow my nose - remove mask and blow/maybe drink some water
- Tue, I tried to keep a bit loose and lower the mask and blow nose while riding and noticed that it was not that effective since I was getting itchy eyes
- Wed morning didn't use mask since we got rain from Tue to Wed. On way back did same as Tue and got some itchy eyes - I do nose wash and eye drops when get home
- Thur, I fit tight the mask to my face and notice my eyes were less itchy
- Fri, same as yesterday, but I replaced the filter that was getting dirt - my eyes are very happy today.
Just saw on weather.com that tree pollen is very high today ... hunmmm?! it seems some measurement problem. It was very low these past days or no pollen.

Getting some more filters so I can survive better the Spring here
Old 02-28-20, 03:46 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
these are too restrictive for cycling. wore one for a cpl hrs for a recent hospital visit. it was borderline fine just sitting & talking

Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 03-19-20, 04:40 PM
phtomita

Tree pollen level around here is high for couple of days and with coronavirus I am enjoying early morning bike rides around home before checking in into my computer for work.
Allergy is not that bad lately.
I take shower and do nasal rinse after the rides. Not much Flonase recently and also not using the mask.
Also I am having some local raw unfiltered honey as suggested in this thread - from Costco - that initially gave me some stomach problem, but now seems ok.
it looks like the honey is making a good difference, since on previous years shower and nasal rinse would still leave me with itchy eyes and was having Flonase twice a day.
Likes For phtomita:
Old 03-19-20, 04:55 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4803 Post(s)
Liked 3,924 Times in 2,552 Posts
Glasses fogging trick - tape the nose bridge area of the mask. Been doing this for the 3M dust masks as long as I've been riding fix gears and that a time span of eras. I always used masking tape (because boat builders always have an infini8te supply). I take the new mask and put a 3" strip of say 1" tape along the top edge, centered at the nose, then another piece just below. Looks odd but works. Never tried it for cycling but I don't see why that would be so different.

Edit: I have always used 3M dust and asbestos masks, the ones with two yellow straps. Now my last box (from Home Depot) has masks that are smaller and I don't get a goof fit so I am going to look harder next time. But sort of that, those masks are good. They hold up and can be washed. Straps fail first. I could never get an acceptable fit with any single strap mask. My two strap 3Ms stopped fiberglass dust at two weeks old, working 40 your weeks than a single strap mask brand new.

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 03-19-20 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-19-20, 06:17 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Have you tried an immunotherapy course, getting shots of whatever pollen you’re allergic to over time?
Old 03-20-20, 06:50 AM
GTsandmore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi all, I'm in Central Texas and yes, the allergens can be really high. I do NeilMed Sinus Rinse similar to Neti Pot , but with more control. The most relief for me, has been Pe Min Kan Wan, Chinese herb supplement. It dries out your sinuses and minimizes histamine response. Look for an Acupucturist/ TCM Herbalist for guidance. The only problem I have noticed is if you take it too much, it overly dries out your sinuses and for women any other mucous membranes. I take it only once or twice a day depending on the severity of allergens in the air. It does not give me the buzz Claritin does. Good luck Y'all.

Last edited by GTsandmore; 03-20-20 at 06:52 AM. Reason: grammar
Likes For GTsandmore:
Old 03-20-20, 08:30 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by GTsandmore
Hi all, I'm in Central Texas and yes, the allergens can be really high. I do NeilMed Sinus Rinse similar to Neti Pot , but with more control. The most relief for me, has been Pe Min Kan Wan, Chinese herb supplement. It dries out your sinuses and minimizes histamine response. Look for an Acupucturist/ TCM Herbalist for guidance. The only problem I have noticed is if you take it too much, it overly dries out your sinuses and for women any other mucous membranes. I take it only once or twice a day depending on the severity of allergens in the air. It does not give me the buzz Claritin does. Good luck Y'all.
Sounds like something worth checking out. Even though daily unfiltered honey rids me of eye and nose problems, my sinuses still are problematic. I use Afrin Severe Deep Congestion Pump Mist nose spray on days I can't stand the sinus pressure.
Old 03-20-20, 08:35 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
these are too restrictive for cycling. wore one for a cpl hrs for a recent hospital visit. it was borderline fine just sitting & talking

Two weeks ago I was ridding my yard of leaves and pollen with my rear bagging lawn mower. Due to the way that machine keeps me in a cloud of dust, I wore a simple construction dust mask. Breathing through it while working in the yard was like breathing through a snorkel with forced breathing the entire time. I got quite a lung exercise out of it, but at least my nasal passages were clean.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 03-20-20, 09:10 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I had bad allergies as a kid and I got shots. Lots of shots. They swelled up painfully and seemed to do nothing and week later I'd do it again. I wouldn't wish that on any kid.

Seasonally as required I use generic Zyrtec
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 03-20-20, 11:44 PM
yamsyamsyams

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 20 Posts
Have a friend who swears by putting Vaseline in his nostrils prior to rides...then wash out afterwards. Have yet to try but theoretically sounds like it would work.
Likes For yamsyamsyams:
Old 03-21-20, 09:17 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by yamsyamsyams
Have a friend who swears by putting Vaseline in his nostrils prior to rides...then wash out afterwards. Have yet to try but theoretically sounds like it would work.
Artificial mucus. I never thought of that before.
Old 04-11-20, 06:56 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by noobinsf
After two days of riding (my commute isn't intense, but I push myself, so I end up breathing very heavily), I can say that the mask made a huge difference in my "recovery" today. Last week, I rode Wed/Thurs, and I was a mess on Fri. This week, it's been windy on top of the high pollen count, and after riding Mon/Tues, I only have mild symptoms today, even without all of the meds I took last Friday. I'm sold on the mask.

My glasses fogged up at stoplights a bit, and I had to adjust the mask some during the ride, but it's a small price to pay for being functional and foregoing all of those meds.
are you changing filter material? if so, how often?
Old 04-11-20, 06:59 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by noobinsf
I’m essentially doing the same thing with aerosol saline spray, and it helps. I just bought this for $14 on Amazon (activated charcoal filters, ear holes to prevent slipping down the face, velcro wraparound), so I’ll see how it goes:https://www.amazon.com/MoHo-Activate.../dp/B07CNHDK61
this link is no longer working. when I post links, I also try to remember to post brand & model so that, at a later date, if the link doesn't work, readers still know what I was referring to
Old 04-11-20, 12:07 PM
phtomita

this link is no longer working. when I post links, I also try to remember to post brand & model so that, at a later date, if the link doesn't work, readers still know what I was referring to
He reposted on #17 for something similar since original one from the past is not on sale anymore.
I think the main prob is because of the virus, all these are current sold out or you have to wait for a long while to get it.
Likes For phtomita:
Old 04-21-20, 04:33 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Just as a quick update, it looks like you can search the term "allergy mask" on Amazon, and several results pop up that at least look like the mask I have -- similar design with velcro closure and ear loop, charcoal filter. I don't tend to keep track of what they do/don't stock, so any link I post up here will have a limited shelf life.

Since last year, I've changed the filter once -- I ride a couple of times a week, and I did not use the mask over the winter when I would ride. Maybe I should change it more often, but so far this has been fine for me.
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 04-21-20, 05:57 PM
rumrunn6

Great thank you still waiting for the two I ordered some time ago

neither are still available

ADESUGATA Anti Pollution Sports Mask(Activated Carbon Air Filters and 2 Valves Included) + Level 3 Respirator Masks(Soft & Comfortable Filter Safety Face Mask) for Dust Protection

& this one

Activated Carbon Filter Sport Mask Half Face Riding Mask Reusable Sports Mask for Cycling Running Training Outdoor Activities

Last edited by rumrunn6; 04-22-20 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-26-20, 10:56 AM
bigalo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Great question. I have been wondering about this too