Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cyclist hit and killed; 2 others injured...

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-20, 06:22 AM
CanoeU92

Bikes: Salsa Vaya2, Raleigh Merit 3, Trek Antelope 800, Schwinn World Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A group of seven cyclists were riding together on Sunday morning when an SUV crashed into them. Story here.
Old 03-09-20, 06:47 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Straight but narrow 2 lane road. Speed limit 40 mph. Sun should not be a factor at 12:30 PM when the collision occured. Cyclists were hit by a motorist driving in the opposite direction. I doubt that these 7 riders were salmons so the driver weaved across the center line. How difficult is it to control your vehicle.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 03-09-20, 02:24 PM
Gyro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Straight but narrow 2 lane road. Speed limit 40 mph. Sun should not be a factor at 12:30 PM when the collision occured. Cyclists were hit by a motorist driving in the opposite direction. I doubt that these 7 riders were salmons so the driver weaved across the center line. How difficult is it to control your vehicle.
Texting... Know a guy hit riding a Harley this way. He can't walk anymore. At least 2 others involving cars, both had a DOA.
Likes For Gyro:
Old 03-09-20, 02:33 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Originally Posted by Gyro
Texting...
Probably, even though driving and texting is illegal in MD. I don't like making uninformed guesses though ... the driver may have had a severe medical event. I hope that they do a thorough investigation and if the driver was texting, punish him or her to the full extent of the MD law:

A texting or cellphone violation that leads to serious bodily injury or the death of another person carries additional penalties of up to one year in jail and/or a maximum $5,000 in fines.
Disgustingly light, huh?
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 03-09-20, 06:36 PM
CoffeedrinkerNC

Bikes: Trek Verve 2

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Driver is going to get a plea deal from the most vehicular manslaughter, spend 1 year in jail.

Using your phone while driving is the norm, 99% of the people do it. Until we change society, it's not going to stop. even in countries with strict laws and enforcement like Australia, people still play with their phones while driving. Lots of people have been told from day 1 they are special, special people get to break the rules.
Likes For CoffeedrinkerNC:
Old 03-09-20, 07:49 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,910 Times in 1,140 Posts
Here in Middle Indiana the crossroads of America where Mike Pence is a FORMER governor. Our legislators went against conventional wisdom and passed a no cell phone use while driving law, to be instituted July 1 2020. Comes with a mandated $500 fine for infraction. I suspect there are a whole bunch of Millenials who are going to be funding the state's coffer on July 2 2020. JMHO, MH
Old 03-09-20, 07:57 PM
CoffeedrinkerNC

Originally Posted by Mad Honk
Here in Middle Indiana the crossroads of America where Mike Pence is a FORMER governor. Our legislators went against conventional wisdom and passed a no cell phone use while driving law, to be instituted July 1 2020. Comes with a mandated $500 fine for infraction. I suspect there are a whole bunch of Millenials who are going to be funding the state's coffer on July 2 2020. JMHO, MH
Only if the police enforce it. North Carolina is handsfree, but I still see people with a phone up to the side of their head, the police do not enforce this law.
Old 03-09-20, 08:12 PM
Chistophe516

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 19 Posts
I just moved from that state, four months ago. In the previous thirty-five contiguous(4+yrs. living in Minn.) years. I never lived in that county. But it didn't matter what county you lived in. They all drive like only cars are on the road.
Old 03-09-20, 09:53 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
California has had a no phone while driving law for some years now. If anything it has gotten worse. Riding around, almost everyone is futzing with their devices. Squeezing in a text message at every traffic light. Close to zero enforcement as far as I can tell.
Old 03-09-20, 09:54 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Cell phone os should be programmed so that they do not function when a car is going faster than 5mph, unless connected to Bluetooth.
Old 03-09-20, 11:21 PM
CoffeedrinkerNC

Originally Posted by Bmach
Cell phone os should be programmed so that they do not function when a car is going faster than 5mph, unless connected to Bluetooth.
But, what about the passengers, they shouldn't be punished....
Old 03-10-20, 09:16 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Originally Posted by CoffeedrinkerNC
Only if the police enforce it. North Carolina is handsfree, but I still see people with a phone up to the side of their head, the police do not enforce this law.
Use of hand-held phones for talking is legal in NC. Using your phone for texting or email is prohibited unless hands-free. Under 18, you're not allowed to use any electronic device. See the General Statutes here. Page down to .137. Also important to note that in NC texting is a "primary violation" meaning that you can be pulled over solely for doing it. In other states, texting may be a "secondary violation", where it can be cited only in addition to another violation.

We still don't know if texting was involved. The driver is my age and I can generalize that most of us old folks don't text a lot. I hope there is some follow-up so we can direct our outrage accurately.

Curiously, one of the news outlets published a description of how MD had a 3 foot rule. I really, really, really doubt that this rule was intended to apply to oncoming vehicles crossing the center line.
Old 03-10-20, 09:41 AM
Gyro

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Use of hand-held phones for talking is legal in NC. Using your phone for texting or email is prohibited unless hands-free. Under 18, you're not allowed to use any electronic device. See the General Statutes here. Page down to .137. Also important to note that in NC texting is a "primary violation" meaning that you can be pulled over solely for doing it. In other states, texting may be a "secondary violation", where it can be cited only in addition to another violation.

We still don't know if texting was involved. The driver is my age and I can generalize that most of us old folks don't text a lot. I hope there is some follow-up so we can direct our outrage accurately.

Curiously, one of the news outlets published a description of how MD had a 3 foot rule. I really, really, really doubt that this rule was intended to apply to oncoming vehicles crossing the center line.
I'd bet I'm also in your age group 60+. I text all the time. As does all the other people I know in my age group. I generally send voice texts. The phone records what I say and it go's out as a message.. Hate typing on the phone, large hands.
Old 03-10-20, 11:03 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
But, what about the passengers, they shouldn't be punished....
Punished? This isn't punishment. That mentality is a big part of the problem. The only thing that should work while a phone is moving is the navigation app.
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 03-10-20, 06:36 PM
CoffeedrinkerNC

Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
Punished? This isn't punishment. That mentality is a big part of the problem. The only thing that should work while a phone is moving is the navigation app.
Why should a passengers phone not work in a moving vehicle?
Old 03-10-20, 10:40 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Why should a passengers phone not work in a moving vehicle?
Because of stupid drivers. Something has to be done and the laws are not working.
Likes For Bmach:
Old 03-11-20, 01:05 AM
CoffeedrinkerNC

Originally Posted by Bmach
Because of stupid drivers. Something has to be done and the laws are not working.
Holding others accountable from someone else action will never work,

Why not try and go for more training before people can get a DL?
Old 03-11-20, 04:28 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
The article didn't answer the most important question; were the cyclists wearing helmets?!?
Likes For Korina: