Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Considering Electra Super Moto 8i

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-20, 09:58 AM
Crona

Bikes: Diamondback Response

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I haven't had a mountain bike for a few years and find myself taking my cruiser on dirt/gravel roads and down some trails as it has the fattest tires of all my bikes. It works but don't think think it can handle the abuse long term and id like to go on some more difficult trails and climb steeper hills.

I have been looking at the Electra super Moto 8i because it fills my wants:
Internal gear hub
chain drive
27"+ tires (or 29")
Full Rigid
Disc brakes

My concerns are that it only comes in one frame size (I'm 5'10") and it seems overpriced at $949.00 msrp.

I havent found any other bike in this configuration.
would I be better off buying a single speed and converting it to IGH? When I price that out it ends up near the same.

I'm mainly just wondering if anyone has any feedback with this bike. There are hardly any reviews or published specs on it like tire clearance, rim width ECT.
Old 05-01-20, 08:37 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
That looks like a nice bike. As long as you keep the shifter tuned, it should last a long while. I converted my Pugsley to a Nuvinci internal hub a few years ago and mostly like it. Remember that most internal hubs have a torque limit, so don't gear your driveline too low if you like to stand and hammer the pedals. I still ride trails regularly on a 1953 Schwinn DX frame. Don't let some of these guys fool you into thinking you need the latest and greatest to get outside.
Old 05-14-20, 08:50 PM
Crona

Bikes: Diamondback Response

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the sake of thread closure I ended up buying a used rigid Trek Stache 5 Large size. I couldn't test ride the super moto without a deposit so the one size frame seemed questionable.

c_m_shooter you had a good point about gearing the drivetrain too low. There are some steep climbs around here and the low doesn't quite look low enough so I probably would have lowered the gearing.

I did get some info on the bike from Electra, the wheels are 40mm inner width and tubeless compatible. Largest tire size is 2.8 width. The stack is 607 mm, and the reach is 427 mm.

I may have gone with the Super Moto if I could have test ridden one, seems like it would be a fun bike.