Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Any Way to Hot Rod the Bosch system?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-20, 09:46 AM
Bluesfrog

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts

I wondered if there was a way to increase the performance of my Bosch mid drive system by programming. There was purportedly a way to move a sensor in the 1st series but I believe mine to be a third series drive with alterations to the sensors to cancel the workaround. Bosch is perhaps lawyer heavy! I just feel the need for a little bit better performance, not blinding interstate speeds. And now I have another recurring problem. My chain comes off. This time going uphill not downhill. There are two chainguard making it difficult to put the chain back on. I accomplished it this time. Previous time I ruined the chain on its maiden voyage. I was going to work at 0400 to 0500. While going downhill I was going down in gears as I was soon to be at a stop sign and going back up hill. Chain came off and I didn't know in the dark there were two chain guards. Akkk! Had to walk the bike home. With the chain off you don't use the handy dandy walk feature on the controller. Be Well, Bluesfrog.
Old 05-11-20, 10:17 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
The first generation could be modified by moving the sensor and magnet, but since then the only way to change performance AFAIK are with "dongles" sold by some companies (the one I know of - for Yamaha systems - is in Europe). I use my bike only off road, so the performance is fine. If you want a fast street bike, you can build one very inexpensively with a direct drive system.
Assume you have the Bosch "small front chainring" so you can't use the "narrow/wide" ones, but maybe you can increase the tension screw on the rear derailleur or remove some links from the chain to reduce the incidence of derailing.

Last edited by 2old; 05-11-20 at 10:38 AM.
Likes For 2old:
Old 05-12-20, 02:25 PM
Bluesfrog

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
I will get on the phone with my bike shop about the narrow wide ring today. I had forgotten about it but with the chain coming off again I am needing some kind of fix. Thanks and Be Well, Bluesfrog.