Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Seller refuses to open box

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Seller refuses to open box

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-20, 08:59 AM
DeLoreanDMC81

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
At first I didn't care, but now after 111 posts I wish somebody would open the box already.
What was in the box?! What's in the box?!
Old 05-20-20, 09:06 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by countalmaviva
plonz , thanks for your response. I believe that future readers of this thread may find it particularly helpful. Indeed, I had already moved on when I started this thread, which might not have been clear from my OP. Frank knows this from our interaction through eBay messaging.

I confess I gave the thread a click-baity title. I wanted to start a thread for posterity, since I'm sure this situation, which was new to me, would be familiar to some of the more experienced folks here. This forum attracts a lot of new fans of the bicycle looking for expert answers to questions. I decided to become a paying member because I perceived value in the advice I was getting for "free."

I think your post sums up what I'll personally consider in the future, and maybe other folks may find this discussion helpful. I also want to add something which others have noted: The auction includes "sealed" in the description. Asking the seller to open the box would require the seller to change the terms of the auction, which is a big thing to ask (setting aside the matter that it's not a big dollar auction). Most of you said it wasn't necessarily bad manners to ask the question, but nearly everyone here agrees that the seller can do as he pleases. It's his auction, after all. As I said in my original post, I knew that, but I'm glad to know that most of you wouldn't consider it improper to ask.

I thought bark_eater makes a great point about the experienced seller's perspective:

"The seller may be trying to make a small profit selling an item at fair market value. To do that he may well be considering the value of his own time and efficiently processing the items for sale. So the item you are interested may already be packed in a sealed mailing carton. So if you are asking him to undo work and change the condition of the item resulting in more work for him in repacking and having to revise the listing. Why don't you offer him $5 to open the box?"

Last ride 76 makes a similar point.

This helped answer something that originally baffled me. Knowing this was not a high-dollar item, I imagined that the "sealed box" aspect might not be as valuable as it would with top value vintage parts. So, I thought that the seller could actually gain by opening the box, rather than lose. You point out that he loses time: he has to open the box and shoot more photos. I'm sure a lot of busy eBay retailers have to streamline their process. Still, on this occasion, Frank took the time to respond to my question, which some of you say you would have ignored ( thinktubes and onyerleft , for example). I appreciate that he responded, so I decided to move on.

I want say, again, that I make no negative observations here about FTW! If you're reading this thread, Frank, I hope you're grinning.

I also decided to post about this because I thought it might be a lively discussion...I'm only an active member for about a year, but I'm already aware that we love to...uh...discuss.

Cheers,
Oliver H.
WAIT! I your original post you stated you had an interest in getting those brake levers but wanted the seller to open the sealed box. Now you're saying that you didn't have any interest in those levers at the time you started this thread?

From your original post: "Folks,

I'm hoping some of you with more vintage experience than I have can share some perspective here. I'm interested in this eBay auction:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153935006219?"

What a waste of time you've caused a lot of people who have a true desire to help. That also smacks of the definition of an Internet Troll = someone who posts just to stir things up.

As others have said, the sealed box is part of the value of the object that's for sale.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 05-20-20, 09:41 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by DeLoreanDMC81
What was in the box?! What's in the box?!
A flux capacitor.

Originally Posted by Miele Man
Now you're saying that you didn't have any interest in those levers at the time you started this thread?
If he was, he would have stated the color he wanted them in. Search the OP's posts. Not once is the desired color mentioned.

-Kurt

P.S.: There are silver SS-5 levers in the box.

Last edited by cudak888; 05-20-20 at 06:14 PM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 05-20-20, 11:10 AM
countalmaviva 

Bikes: 1985 Fuji League with S&S couplers, Bridgestone Regulus, and many others now between other legs.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
I unsubscribed because my inbox blew up. Coming back now after a few days. Whew!

Originally Posted by Miele Man
WAIT! I your original post you stated you had an interest in getting those brake levers but wanted the seller to open the sealed box. Now you're saying that you didn't have any interest in those levers at the time you started this thread?

From your original post: "Folks,

I'm hoping some of you with more vintage experience than I have can share some perspective here. I'm interested in this eBay auction:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153935006219?"

What a waste of time you've caused a lot of people who have a true desire to help. That also smacks of the definition of an Internet Troll = someone who posts just to stir things up.

As others have said, the sealed box is part of the value of the object that's for sale.

Cheers
Miele Man , I apologize if my post was unclear. You responded very helpfully to a previous post of mine about 8s bar-end shifters. I took your advice about 7 of 8 cogs, and it's working beautifully. Thank you.

Anyway, I tried to clarify my interest in the second half of my OP:

"Am I out of line for requesting a photo of the actual object? Does opening the box devalue the item?"

In other words,
what do you veteran vintage sellers consider polite and appropriate buyer questions and what are the pros and cons of sealed boxes? Probably, I should have stated it exactly like that. Again, sorry. Unclear OP or no, everyone's responses certainly have answered my questions. Thank you!

I had no idea this thread would go on so long, but I guess it has at least 3 days and 1 hour of life left in it...

Regards,
Oliver H.
Old 05-20-20, 11:41 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I unsubscribed because my inbox blew up. Coming back now after a few days. Whew!

Miele Man , I apologize if my post was unclear. You responded very helpfully to a previous post of mine about 8s bar-end shifters. I took your advice about 7 of 8 cogs, and it's working beautifully. Thank you.

Anyway, I tried to clarify my interest in the second half of my OP:

"Am I out of line for requesting a photo of the actual object? Does opening the box devalue the item?"

In other words,
what do you veteran vintage sellers consider polite and appropriate buyer questions and what are the pros and cons of sealed boxes? Probably, I should have stated it exactly like that. Again, sorry. Unclear OP or no, everyone's responses certainly have answered my questions. Thank you!

I had no idea this thread would go on so long, but I guess it has at least 3 days and 1 hour of life left in it...

Regards,
Oliver H.
I know it can be hard sometimes to get the essence of a request formulated in order to get the best replies. That's more so when one is distracted, in a rush or tired.

I'm glad that the 7 of 8 cogs is working out for you. I often do something similar when I want to increase my high gear teeth from 11 or 12 to 14. I'll use 7 of 9 cogs from a 9-speed cassette. Of course I also use a 9-speed chain with that setup.

Cheers
Old 05-20-20, 01:17 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
After reading through the thread, it reminds me of an old joke or prank. You're sitting around shooting the bull with your buddies when you tell them this story.

"Let me tell y'all what happened to me the other night.
I was headed west on rt.----- when I passed a dude thumbing a ride. I decided to help him out.
He gets in with a backpack and a small box. We get back on the road and I start making small talk.
He's clutching the box like it has something important in it. So, I ask him what's in the box.
He acts a little irritated and tells me, "It's none you your business."
Well, then, my interest increased and curiosity started to get the best of me. I asked him again, "Come on, whats in the box?" He gets angry and tells me not to ask again.
That's wasn't going to work. I decided to ask him again. "What's in the box? You gotta tell me."
He started screaming. He put the box on the floorboard between his legs and pulled out a knife! We starting fighting and the car was swerving all over the road. I managed to open the passenger door and kick him out with the box still on the floorboard."

At this point you say something like, "Man, I was lucky to get out of that situation. I could have been killed!" Then you abruptly end your story and wait for the talk to continue.
If you have told your story right, someone will ask, "What was in the box?"
To which you reply, "Nothing but a bunch of **** like I've been feeding you!"

BaaHaHaHa.

Last edited by cb400bill; 05-24-20 at 06:04 AM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 05-20-20, 05:09 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 931 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
"Let me tell y'all what happened to me the other night.
I was headed west on rt.----- when I passed a dude thumbing a ride. I decided to help him out.
He gets in with a backpack and a small box. We get back on the road and I start making small talk.
He's clutching the box like it has something important in it. So, I ask him what's in the box.
He acts a little irritated and tells me, "It's none of your business."
Well, then, my interest increased and curiosity started to get the best of me. I asked him again, "Come on, whats in the box?" He gets angry and tells me not to ask again.
That's wasn't going to work. I decided to ask him again. "What's in the box? You gotta tell me."
He started screaming. He put the box on the floorboard between his legs and pulled out a knife! We starting fighting and the car was swerving all over the road. I managed to open the passenger door and kick him out with the box still on the floorboard."

At this point you say something like, "Man, I was lucky to get out of that situation. I could have been killed!" Then you abruptly end your story and wait for the talk to continue.
If you have told your story right, someone will ask, "What was in the box?"
To which you reply, "It's none of your business."
I changed the last line to propel your buddies into the story. Even better if you have a box in the room.

Last edited by P!N20; 05-20-20 at 05:59 PM.
Likes For P!N20:
Old 05-20-20, 05:25 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,181 Times in 1,183 Posts
IMHO IT'S A BOC
Let's see if we can get this post to at least 200.
Best, Ben
Old 05-20-20, 05:33 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
Well, I haven't learned anything of particular use to me in this thread, but it has been the most entertaining one in a long while (since the last one featuring the guy with the Klein fetish), and a welcome distraction from all the current odd combination of boredom and strife!

Now, WHAT THE HELL IS IN THE BOX!!
Old 05-20-20, 05:42 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 6,485 Times in 3,209 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
IMHO, IT'S A BOC
"It's time we had a break from it!"

Old 05-20-20, 05:50 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

"Why are we here?" inquired man.
"To find out what's in the Dia-Compe box."

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 05-20-20 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-20-20, 06:16 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Six pages and no mention of Grant Petersen. Until now.
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 05-20-20, 07:04 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by noobinsf
Six pages and no mention of Grant Petersen. Until now.
Wrong. The levers don't come with mustache bars.

Again, sorry. Unclear OP or no, everyone's responses certainly have answered my questions. Thank you!
I've got a question. What color SS-5's did you want?

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 05-20-20 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-20-20, 07:12 PM
xiaoman1 

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
"It's time we had a break from it!"

https://youtu.be/jGKNaIXtBZQ
How did we get here?

Last edited by xiaoman1; 05-20-20 at 07:20 PM.
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 05-20-20, 07:48 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by old's'cool

Well, I haven't learned anything of particular use to me in this thread, but it has been the most entertaining one in a long while (since the last one featuring the guy with the Klein fetish), and a welcome distraction from all the current odd combination of boredom and strife!
Could you provide a link to this "Klein fetish" thread to which you refer? It's raining here and I find myself in need of some entertainment

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 05-20-20 at 07:52 PM.
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 05-20-20, 09:50 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Could you provide a link to this "Klein fetish" thread to which you refer? It's raining here and I find myself in need of some entertainment

DD
Ditto. Missed this one, and I'm filled with curiosity now.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 05-20-20 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05-20-20, 10:09 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
I requested that the seller post a photo of the levers, and they have refused. Am I out of line for requesting a photo of the actual object?
I've often purchased items remotely, sight-unseen, from a seller. Sight-unseen, that's the point. And the only justification that any should require for legitimacy of photos.

You can be darned sure I request a range of photos of different aspects, from different angles. A "picture's worth a thousand words," they say. No way to get around that.

I'm okay with a seller not wanting to go to the trouble. But unless it's a factory-boxed item (ie, a classic Mattel HotWheels toy in the original blister pack), it's hard to claim that taking proper photos of the item is going to cause some magical destruction in value.

For me: it get lots of pics and answers to all my questions, or I don't buy. But, that's me.
Old 05-20-20, 10:17 PM
Biketiger

Bikes: 1st Track bike: 1978 Speedwell titanium 1st Road bike: 2001 Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 65 Posts
I looked at the auction pics - the box is sealed and it appears you would have to tear it open. Seller states "SEALED BOX" in his listing.
Old 05-20-20, 10:23 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Biketiger
I looked at the auction pics - the box is sealed and it appears you would have to tear it open. Seller states "SEALED BOX" in his listing.
Some boxes are like that, requiring "tearing" open the box to get at the item.

But it's not as though the box is part of the value, beyond the NOS/NIB nature. Which photos can take care of, showing the fully-closed and -sealed box, showing it being opened, showing the item from different views. Particularly with an older item that people want to ensure is real and what they're looking for, preferring to not purchase sight-unseen.

It's a bike part, not the holy grail.
Old 05-20-20, 10:38 PM
xiaoman1 

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude

DD
It's just a few taps away.....
Best, Ben
Old 05-20-20, 10:42 PM
xiaoman1 

Originally Posted by cudak888
Ditto. Missed this one, and I'm filled with curiosity now.
see my response to DD. above...and you will be good to go.
Ben
Old 05-20-20, 10:47 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

see my response to DD. above...and you will be good to go.
Ben
Somehow, I've made it through this thread, understood most of it, and even figured out what's in the box...but I can't figure out the clue in your reply to DD...sorry!

-Kurt

Old 05-20-20, 10:48 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
It's just a few taps away.....
Best, Ben
Sorry, not helpful in the slightest. Could you be a smidgen less cryptic?

DD
Old 05-20-20, 10:59 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
I doubt this is the right Klein thread, but I found this during my search and it is full of some real gems...

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...535-klein.html
Old 05-20-20, 11:07 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by Kilroy1988
I doubt this is the right Klein thread, but I found this during my search and it is full of some real gems...

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...535-klein.html
That devolved like the thread about that Honeymooner tricycle, only with a nice bike as the subject matter.

-Kurt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.