Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

1970 Atala Super Professional Frame/Fork/Headset

Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

Old 05-18-20, 11:34 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1435 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 747 Posts

Edit: Proceeds go to Ukraine.

Tried selling this back in late 2018. It's still hanging in the basement, so I'm going to try again...

I'm still trimming the herd. This is my 1970 Atala Super Professional, 25-inch frame, s/n 70A1201. I'm asking $130 plus shipping to CONUS (PayPal f/f). I liked the way it rode, but got onto other things so it wound up not getting ridden. I eventually cannibalized most of its parts for my ItalVega. It's hung in the basement for a few years now. I believe it was originally produced as a fully chromed frame with green panels. (The only other Super Pro I've seen pictures of was Randy Jawa's which appeared to be cromovelato.) This frame has rust issues in the chrome which I've tried to highlight in the pictures. This all happened hanging in the garage one winter. I doubt it's structurally problematic, but I think you'd probably want to have the frame stripped and painted or rechromed.

Included with the frame is a Nuovo Record headset and (not shown in the pix) a new set of decals produced by Greg Softley (Cyclomondo). The pictures below show what it looked like as of Sep 2018. There is a big album on Flickr. The most recent pictures are at the end. Note that the seatpost and seatpost bolt shown in the last few pictures are not included.

Last edited by smontanaro; 03-18-22 at 10:55 AM. Reason: note Ukraine connection
Likes For smontanaro:
Old 05-18-20, 01:00 PM
niliraga 

Bikes: 1970s Coppi/Fiorelli beater, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1972 Bob Jackson, 1970 Cilo Sprint-X, 1985 Fuji Touring Series IV, 1969 Legnano Roma

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 129 Posts
really snazzy with that green paneling, and just enough rust to fit in around here. to clarify, is that 25.0" c-to-c?
Old 05-18-20, 04:10 PM
smontanaro 

Sorry, no. In Italian tradition, it's measured center-to-top. In this picture, the tape measure is hooked over the top of the seat tube.

Old 05-21-20, 01:50 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3783 Post(s)
Liked 3,288 Times in 2,148 Posts
-----

Wonderful buy for someone!

Purchased an all-chrome Cesare used for partout ~1972.

It was Campag Record kitted save for Universal brakes.

It had one odd feature I asked seller about at time of purchase.

The fixed cup was an OMG three dogger.

When I got 'er apart found out why.

Fixed cup was 36.5 marked...a repair size.

Campag offers 36.5 bottom bracket taps.

So when I sold the frame needed to give the special cup with it.

---

Wonder if perhaps His Unfixedness non-fixie might be interested. A good size for him.

-----

Last edited by juvela; 05-21-20 at 01:58 PM. Reason: addition
Old 03-18-22, 10:57 AM
smontanaro 

I still have this Atala Super Pro frame. I gave it an oxalic acid bath last summer so it looks a bit better. I haven't taken any new pictures yet, but I'll try to get to that this weekend.
Old 03-19-22, 02:54 PM
smontanaro 

The weather here is yucky today (that's a technical term), but I took a few close-ups in my basement of the Atala where the chrome is gone. They are at the end of this Google Photos album:

https://goo.gl/photos/KS4ugCxJQfoaArZh8

They are the last few pictures on the second page. I will still try and get out to take some pictures tomorrow after my Chicagohenge ride.

Last edited by smontanaro; 02-09-23 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Flickr -> Google Photos
Old 03-25-22, 02:22 PM
smontanaro 

Sorry to let this drop. I took more pictures outside (shade and sun) and added them to the above album. I also reordered the album so the newest photos are first.
Old 02-09-23, 10:54 AM
smontanaro 

And... moved to Google Photos...
Old 02-09-23, 11:20 AM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 206 Posts
Is there a link to the photos on Google Photos since the Flickr album is no longer active? I'm also curious about the top tube length and the tubing, if you know.
Old 02-09-23, 11:57 AM
smontanaro 

Originally Posted by mhespenheide
Is there a link to the photos on Google Photos since the Flickr album is no longer active? I'm also curious about the top tube length and the tubing, if you know.
Yes, I just edited the post above to replace the Flickr link with a Google Photos link. Let me know if this

https://goo.gl/photos/KS4ugCxJQfoaArZh8

doesn't work for you. Maybe I need to tweak permissions somehow.

I don't know about the tubing, but sort of suspect it would be Columbus SL, maybe SP for the seat tube. Here's the tubing sticker. I imagine the frame was built in the days before they got particular advertising the different tubing types.
Old 02-09-23, 12:00 PM
smontanaro 

Sorry, I changed the text without changing the underlying link. I was thinking the forum software was just highlighting an auto-detected URL.
Old 02-09-23, 02:10 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 1,038 Times in 769 Posts
I don't know about the tubing, but sort of suspect it would be Columbus SL, maybe SP for the seat tube. Here's the tubing sticker. I imagine the frame was built in the days before they got particular advertising the different tubing types.

that sounds spot-on to me: given this size SL for everything but an SP seat tube.
too tall for me but GLWS and Kudos for supporting Doug Fattic's work in Ukraine!
Old 02-09-23, 03:36 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1

that sounds spot-on to me: given this size SL for everything but an SP seat tube.
too tall for me but GLWS and Kudos for supporting Doug Fattic's work in Ukraine!
I thought--and quite possibly I'm mistaken--that the older, larger Italian bikes used SP for the downtube.
Old 02-09-23, 04:10 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Thank you for that. I've never been a "chrome guy", so that takes me out. But I appreciate your motivations here. Good luck with the sale.
Old 02-09-23, 04:12 PM
mhespenheide 

Originally Posted by bikemig
I thought--and quite possibly I'm mistaken--that the older, larger Italian bikes used SP for the downtube.
Bianchi often used SP for the downtube and chainstays (for most of their sizes at least).
The largest sizes of Italian frames were often SP throughout, as I understand it.
Old 02-09-23, 05:21 PM
smontanaro 

I'm surprised at the activity on this thread today. My only intent was to start hunting down my dead Flickr links, replacing them with Google Photos links.
Old 02-09-23, 11:17 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 1,038 Times in 769 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
you raise an interesting nuance that could give rise to a whole lot of discussion: I am fairly sure that Bianchi did use the thicker-wall DOWN tube in many of their frames as a signature feature that "firmed up" the ride quality, I don't think that feature was size-specific.
There MAY have been many other Italian builders whose practice was to use a thicker-wall SEAT tube in larger frames, the "rule of thumb" was pretty much anything taller than 59cm, but actual practice varied...and don't know how many of these "SP seat tube" frames had a heavier down tube as well...
Would be interesting to hear from experts who actually know (cause I am repeating hearsay)