Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

OEM Integration - Love It or Hate It?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Do You Like the Trend Towards In-House Components at the Expense of Choice?
I love in-house brands parts and the related innovation... keep it coming!
7.50%
I hate in-house brand parts and avoid bikes that use non-standard components. I like choice!
57.50%
Doesn't matter to me one way or the other... both are OK with me. Now shut-up and ride!
35.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

OEM Integration - Love It or Hate It?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-20, 02:42 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
If majority of costly things keep going the "toss it out after it's broke", it'll eventually become a low demand due to a lack of affordability. I like a fair amount of the new vehicles, but the proprietary aspect is one of the major reasons why I'll buy private party older vehicles. The selection of private party vehicles has been rapidly getting slim pickens...
Old 05-25-20, 03:02 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
If majority of costly things keep going the "toss it out after it's broke", it'll eventually become a low demand due to a lack of affordability. I like a fair amount of the new vehicles, but the proprietary aspect is one of the major reasons why I'll buy private party older vehicles. The selection of private party vehicles has been rapidly getting slim pickens...
Yep. And with a used bike the depreciation for the seller is even worse than with a car.
Old 05-25-20, 03:03 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
To me. the sweet era in the history of bicycles was the '80s. The Japanese ruled. And one of the big reasons for that was that they created a set of standards that basically everybody had to follow if they wanted to sell bikes. Thread standards. BBs. Chainrng bolt circles. Tube diameters. For about 10 years you could pick up a bike frame, Japanese, American, English (and eventually even French) and simply swap parts over fron your current bike. Everything. OK, maybe not the seatpost, I often spent no more on parts to make "this frame" work as I did on new cable housings, bar tape etc.

My fix gear commuter went from Japanese built Schwinn to Sekine to Miyata to Trek with almost no change of parts (other than wear and tear). The builds happened in an evening.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 05-26-20, 07:28 AM
taco2ewsday

Bikes: 2021 Canyon Endurace SL8, 2019 Cannondale Topstone Sora, 2002 Giant Yukon

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
I don't hate in house brands for standards based things, rims, stems, handlebars etc.. but will avoid proprietary things like the Giant Conduct braking system which took some really nice bikes off the table for me,
Old 05-26-20, 08:03 AM
SuperDave

Bikes: Canyon Roadlite AL

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
The governing factor in choosing the bike I just bought was that it's equipped with a complete Shimano 105 groupset, no substitutions. That should hint as to how I voted.