Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tips on pressing chain pin with park tools ct-5?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-12, 01:14 PM
BenzFanatic

Bikes: Aventon Aventure

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 45 Posts

So it ends up I'm an idiot and I shortened my new chain too much. I have the links and pins, I have a park tools ct-5, but I cannot for the life of me get the pin to stay in place while I press it. Is there something I'm missing or a tip anybody can give me? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-24-12, 01:43 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
What speed chain? 5/6/7 speed chains are designed for pushing pins in and out. Higher speed than that, pins are not designed for that purpose. Even on the lower speed chain, once the pin is out all of the way, its out. Always leave enough of the pin in the chain so it can be pressed back in.

If you pressed it all the way out, and if you are using 5/6/ or 7 speed chain, then push another pin partially out in the left over piece, and attach it that way. How long is your left over piece? Hopefully it is long enough to do this.

Note, I buy 5/6 and 7 speed chain for less than $6, so don't sweat it too much. If it is higher speed, buy a quick link or similar at your LBS to reattach it.
Old 04-24-12, 01:51 PM
Airburst

Location: England, currently dividing my time between university in Guildford and home just outside Reading

Bikes: Too many to list here!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
You are: you're not meant to press the pins all the way out of the chain if that's what you've done, only press them so far that the end is about flush with the inside of the outer plate. That way, you can disconnect the chain, but re-join it afterwards. I have once managed to get a chain pin back into a link plate by using a vice (do you spell it vise in the US?), but as I recall it involved using two pairs of needlenose pliers to hold the pin and plate steady while someone else closed the vice, and it was an absolute pain in the backside to actually do it.
Old 04-24-12, 02:03 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Like the others.. I suspect you pressed the pin Out. ..

Now you have to take out more chain, and don't do that twice..

alternatively you need a short section of chain

inner links on all 4 ends of the chain parts, .. then 2 quick links.
Old 04-24-12, 02:21 PM
BenzFanatic

Yea looks like I royally screwed myself here. Thanks for the responses.

PS: Airburst, yup, vise here.
Old 04-24-12, 03:58 PM
Airburst

Location: England, currently dividing my time between university in Guildford and home just outside Reading

Bikes: Too many to list here!

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks, I was wondering if I wasn't the one spelling it wrong. As for the chain links, Fietsbob has a pretty good idea, I hadn't throught of doing that. Your LBS might have suitable lengths of chain from shortening replacements chains, and apparently the quick links last through several chains, but seeing as new chains sometimes come with them, some shops might tend to accumulate them. Worth a shot at least.
Old 04-24-12, 04:08 PM
BenzFanatic

I do have a couple short lengths of chain, so I should be able to make it work with 2 powerlinks. If not I'll just buy the same one again, $20 so no huge deal. It's just a big hassle. My license is suspended, shop isn't open til thursday, they're price gougers at the shop, etc etc.
Old 04-24-12, 04:27 PM
svidrod

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Despite what others have said, and what it may be designed for, you can definitely re-insert fully removed pins; at least on older 5/6/7 speed chains. What I do is line the chain up as best i can, then place the pin in line with the rod as best I can. The only thing I get lined up perfect is the pin with the link I will be forcing it into first. Sometimes you can get it wedged in there just the tiniest bit a little sideways. I then give the rod a slight turn; maybe 1/8-1/4 turn to start pushing into the first link. Then I back off maybe 1/16 to 1/8 of a turn, then using needle nose pliers, i straighten out the pin to be in line with the rod. At this point I continue in 1/8-1/4 turns, and keep adjusting things till they all line up. The link will be stiff, but twisting a flat head screwdriver in between the plates and liberal working of that joint will loosen it up.

Obviously this isn't recommended procedure, but with some patience and some luck, you can get your chain back together.
Old 04-25-12, 08:56 PM
Papa Ado
almost like new

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 24 Posts
Popping pins in and out, even with the end of pin still inserted in the outer plate, seriously compromises the factory rivet, and thus chain. Needless to say, try to find the original connecting pin (no rivet) if possible and break/reconnect at this (never reuse pin for 9. 10 sp).
Old 04-26-12, 03:00 AM
BenzFanatic

Yea it's an 8 speed. I'm just going to pick up another sram today and try and find another use for the too short chain. Anyone here young enough to remember the computer game road rash?
Old 04-26-12, 06:30 AM
bud16415

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
This is the tool I carry on the road and this setup I made allows me to press pins in and out if required in a pinch. It also can be used to tighten a loose link.

As others have mentioned it is very hard to align and press in a pin once out and on some chains is not recommended. I have used this method many times with good results. It is something you have to make though as no one sells them that I know of.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...dget?highlight=
Old 04-26-12, 06:40 AM
BenzFanatic

Nice. Did you just find that little barrel or did you drill it from a solid piece?
Old 04-26-12, 07:27 AM
bud16415

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BenzFanatic
Nice. Did you just find that little barrel or did you drill it from a solid piece?

I figured out what size OD would fit closely in the chain tools cradle, I took a piece of that size stock and cut it to length and drilled a hole. Having a lathe is helpful but you could make on without I think if you were careful. A shank of a bolt would work hacksawed to length and filed flat. You could also look around at a hardware they might have some fitting you could make one from.

Having a pin in my case the drill shank that’s a slip fit keeps everything inline and the chain pin going in pushes the drill out as you go.

Last year I came up to a guy (Really nice road bike) with a broken chain we fixed and in fixing it saw the chain was getting loose in several places. We used the barrel to snug his links back up. I told him it would get him going and to stay in the saddle until he had a chance to replace the chain.

I understand the warnings on the thinner chain and not reusing pins and with most methods of a vice or hammering them back in the odds are you will make an unsafe joint. Chain is fairly cheap as are master links and I carry them also. This is just something I tried that worked pretty good so I tossed it out there, and for me is worthwhile to keep in the tool bag.
Old 04-26-12, 07:40 AM
BenzFanatic

Thanks. I'll probably just pick up some powerlinks for emergencies, but I could see something like that coming in handy in a pinch.