Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Technique for Packing Top of Rear Rack

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-12, 05:30 PM
BrokenSproket

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a ground cloth, Thermarest (does not fold in half, just rolled up), tent, and down sleeping bag in a small stuff stack.

Should any other things be put on the top of the rear rack?

How do you arrange your gear on your rear rack? Any particular order? Do you use bungee cords or straps?

Do you cover any of this stuff if it rains while riding?

I will be using front and rear paniers.
Old 05-18-12, 05:55 PM
tortron

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am able to fit my thermarest, tent and down sleeping bag (along with cooker, tools and spares, water, and clothes) inside my rear panniers. Keeps them out of the way, protected from the weather/trees. Plus you then have the option of then strapping something to the rear should the need arise.

Then i use the front panniers for food and anything else i want quick access too
Old 05-18-12, 06:06 PM
BrokenSproket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unfortunately, my paniers are relatively small (older Tailwinds) and cannot fit these things in it.
Old 05-18-12, 07:32 PM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I would put the tent and mat sidways, tent frontmost.
Put the sleeping bag inside a drybag.
Lash down with some strong elastic chord or some medium width road inner tube lengths.

Tents are often packed wet so you dont want another bag.

Grounsheet can be rolled around tent or mat or just put ontop.
You have to experiment to se what works.
I use the handle of a drybag to thread lashing through so my bag wont slip sideways
Old 05-18-12, 07:54 PM
BenzFanatic

Bikes: Aventon Aventure

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 45 Posts
Someone said in another thread and I'm starting to agree with them, that straps are better. If you can get a bungee net or chord tight enough it will hold it fine, but with a decent amount of weight on there you don't want those things moving at all, which they will do a little bit no matter how tight you get a bungee. I'd get some tie downs, and pack the long cylindrical things horizontally. Even a small ratcheted tie would be nice.
Old 05-18-12, 10:31 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
This is a method I've used for a long time and many miles without failure. The 2 small bungies are adequate for all conditions. They even hold well during a crash. Carry a couple of plastic grocery bags to store the wet tent or ground cloth in until you can dry it out.

Tent, Therma-Rest, sleeping bag, ground cloth, and stuffable pillow go in rack pack.

Different bike, different bag, different helmet, same old guy, same load, and same 2 bungie cords. Those 2 bungies have over 8,000 miles of loaded touring on them without any problems.

This is the system my wife has successfully used for several years.

Last edited by Doug64; 05-18-12 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-19-12, 07:45 AM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
On long tours I carry a larger tent and strap it to the rack, everything else fits into my front & rear panniers. I break the tent into two small stuff sacks, fly in one, tent body in the other. Because tents can be wet and dirty, all my panniers stay cleaner and dryer. Waterproof Ortlieb's keep my down bag and thermarest nice and dry.

Last edited by BigAura; 05-19-12 at 07:53 AM.
Old 05-19-12, 08:01 PM
reed523

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been really pleased with velcro for tie down straps. You can find it in .5" X 10' strips. Much more user friendly than bungees, imo.
Old 05-19-12, 11:20 PM
MassiveD

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Anyone using whoopie slings for tie downs?

I just tie it all down lengthwise, doesn't look as nice as those rigs, but it does make for a compact package. I think racks should be longer to carry the top rack stuff. Like Arvon does.
Old 05-20-12, 12:36 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Whoopi slings?
Old 05-20-12, 05:45 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by BrokenSproket
I have a ground cloth, Thermarest (does not fold in half, just rolled up), tent, and down sleeping bag in a small stuff stack.
First, I think all thermarests can be folded in half before rolling up, even the very early ones. There may or may not be any advantage to it in your case, but you can fold them.

When using panniers the only thing that I pack on top of the rear rack by choice is the tent. Other stuff goes there only if it doesn't fit in the panniers. I don't use a ground sheet these days but when I did I rolled it up with the tent. I roll the tent with the waterproof bottom on the outside so no need to try to make it more waterproof. It is fine even in a hard all day rain.

I have always packed my sleeping bag inside.
Old 05-20-12, 06:55 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I use straps and keep some adjustable bunjy cords for add on stuff. I have a small 3# tent that goes on top of the front rack, sleeping bag goes in the rear pannier, I have an older thermarest that goes in it's own bag on top of the rear rack.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 05-20-12, 09:21 AM
Cyclebum

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Waterproof your rack pack(s)with a garbage sack when the need arises. Not often. Tent should be seperated from other soft stuff in its own bag. Or in a pannier. I'm a fan of the cargo net, but bungies or straps are good too. Better I guess if a lot of gear is on the rack top.

Yes, a Thermarest can be folded in half and then rolled. My full sized one is 8"x10" when packed.

As your pannier space is limited, might be time to do some downsizing. From a weight/bulk standpoint, it's always time to downsize.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Tour Easy.jpg (104.0 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by Cyclebum; 05-21-12 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-21-12, 03:46 PM
BrokenSproket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions and the pics.

I was able to roll the thermarest in half and get it into a 6.5 liter (6.5X13 inch) stuff sack. Sleeping bag is in same size stuff sack. Will try to fit them into rear paniers.
Old 05-21-12, 03:52 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Beckman 'Needle works' bags, strap/buckle lock on mount,
I have 3 straps running lengthways 2 thru outer edge loops sewn into the bags
and 2 running a-thwart.. Bob sewed a couple buckles on as he sewed up the bags.

I had an all enclosing raincover made up.. so the parked bike
was not welcoming anyone else looking thru my stuff..

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-23-12 at 08:52 PM.
Old 05-23-12, 08:12 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
First, I think all thermarests can be folded in half before rolling up, even the very early ones. There may or may not be any advantage to it in your case, but you can fold them.
Heh. I swear I saw a user review of a Therma Rest Pro Lite 3 wherein the user complained that you had to have super-human strength to fold it in half and get it in the stuff sack after you had roll it up. Hello!
Old 05-23-12, 07:42 PM
gregw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My general rule of thumb is that nothing wet or smelly goes into my waterproof bags. These items go in a mesh bag that rides on top. If I'm tight on waterproof bag space, then other items join those, like spare tire tubes, shower shoes, cook pot, anything that is water proof by itself. If it starts to rain, that mesh bag goes into a heavy duty garbage bag until the rain stops. All the rest of the time those items will dry out a bit, and certainly not mildew. Simple really.
Old 05-23-12, 08:51 PM
egear

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll, Salsa Pistola, Surly 1x1, All-City Nature Boy

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+1 on the folding Themarests I have one it's a pain in the butt to roll up and stuff sack it but it does save space. Anyway. Solo tent and 40 degree bag on top of the rack. Rack is a wide one Old-Man Mountain Red-Rock. I also have dry-bags for both the tent and sleeping bag so I don't care about rain. I strap the Themarest on the front Salsa rack with the tent poles. I use a strap for each dry bag pulled thru the rack and a bungee cord across the rack.I havn't lost anything as yet. The front panniers get the kitchen stuff plus whatever else. Rears are for clothes as they have built in dry bags inside each and the handlebar bag is for the other stuff I need to get to quickly. Keep the top load as low as possible and make sure it can't move around in case you have to do any out of the saddle time. I actualy saw a guy last year with a Thermarest strapped to the fork!!!