Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cannondale headshok conversion question?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-09, 09:39 PM
bigbubba76

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is my first post. I tried the search feature before posting this and I hope its the appropriate forum. I have a '93 Cannondale Delta V 1500 (hard tail).As a project for fun I have been thinking of breathing some new life in to it via spare parts.Here is my dilemma.The headshok is shot.I was going to buy a conversion kit for it and run a conventional fork but what travel fork would give me similar geometry? Also would a rigid 29'' fork keep the geometry similar? I was considering maybe making a hybrid road bike out of it with a flat bar for cruising around town and bike paths.26'' rigid or susp. or 29'' rigid or susp.Any suggestions or thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Old 10-23-09, 06:17 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbubba76
This is my first post. I tried the search feature before posting this and I hope its the appropriate forum. I have a '93 Cannondale Delta V 1500 (hard tail).As a project for fun I have been thinking of breathing some new life in to it via spare parts.Here is my dilemma.The headshok is shot.I was going to buy a conversion kit for it and run a conventional fork but what travel fork would give me similar geometry? Also would a rigid 29'' fork keep the geometry similar? I was considering maybe making a hybrid road bike out of it with a flat bar for cruising around town and bike paths.26'' rigid or susp. or 29'' rigid or susp.Any suggestions or thoughts are greatly appreciated.
A suspension corrected 26" rigid fork would keep the geometry in line. Surly makes such an animal.
If you do go with a suspension fork, 80 to 100mm travel max.
Old 10-23-09, 08:45 AM
CastIron
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did this conversion last spring. A suspension corrected Salsa fork has worked very well for <$100.

It's fairly straightforward operation.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 10-23-09, 04:58 PM
bigbubba76

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
A suspension corrected 26" rigid fork would keep the geometry in line. Surly makes such an animal.
If you do go with a suspension fork, 80 to 100mm travel max.
Originally Posted by CastIron
I did this conversion last spring. A suspension corrected Salsa fork has worked very well for <$100.

It's fairly straightforward operation.
Thanks for the information.
Old 10-23-09, 05:16 PM
LVRider

Bikes: Fondriest Status w/Campy, Schwinn Moab 2 Aluminum Mountain

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did the conversion this past summer with a FSA reducer headset and a Manitou fork with 100mm travel, it worked great.