Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Rockbros Carry Bag

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Rockbros Carry Bag

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-17, 10:56 PM
joen05

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rockbros Carry Bag

Anyone have thoughts on this Bag?

RockBros Folding Bike Carry Bag 16 inch to 20 inch.

Looking to get something to store my Mariner D8 in the trunk of my car.

Can't post links yet but it's on amazon.
Old 10-15-17, 05:26 PM
MultiplexMan

Bikes: Brompton-Vostok, Cannondale Hooligan, BF Fixie, Litespeed OBED, Cannondale Badboy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Looks OK.

There is a B&W soft bag similarly priced on eBay.

I'd try an IKEA Dimpa bag for size. Bromptons fit fine and they cost around AUD6.00
Old 10-15-17, 07:39 PM
joen05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll take a look at the Dimpa bag as well as the B&W.

With the Dimpa bag did you pit any extra cushioning in it?
Old 10-15-17, 10:26 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
I have no personal experience with either Dimpa or Rockbros, but unless you really wanted to minimize the cost, I would go with a bag that already has a padding. It makes no sense to fiddle with the padding each time you want to put in or take out the bike from the bag, unless you have to due to costs. A sturdy padded bag adds little in terms of weight but protects both the bike and other items in the trunk from the bike.
Old 10-15-17, 11:45 PM
badmother

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There is no way a 16" or 20" bike can fit in a Dimpa, it only fits the Brompton.

If you want to go cheap and IKEA get two of the blue shopping bags and join them together with a long (or two shorter like I did) zip(s). I did this when I had my first folder, a Dahon Classic lll. It fitted innside with lots of space to spare.

It depends what kind of bag you need and why. If you need the padding to protect the bike then that is what you get. If you just need a bag to cower the bike for protecting the surroundings against dirt and damage a lighter bag that folds smaller is nice.
Old 10-16-17, 09:15 AM
joen05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm looking to protect both the bike and my trunk from damage/cleanliness. I think that the Dimpa bag wouldn't completely help with protecting the bike, though I'm sure it would help keep the trunk clean.

That being said, the RockBros bag seems like its a decent price compared to other bags like the El Boso that Dahon offers directly. Was hoping someone here might have experience with the company so I can figure out if it's at least decent quality.

Do people usually just leave the bikes uncovered in the trunk? Is this something I shouldn't be worried about? Obviously a newbie here :-D
Old 10-16-17, 09:49 AM
tmesis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had this bag. It was sturdy and is probably fine for transporting a bike in a car trunk. It doesn't close completely, however.

https://www.amazon.com/MOBIC-Folding...dp/B00HVJCM04/
Old 10-16-17, 09:53 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I picked up a Tern carry cover and it fits my Bike Friday, which is not the smallest of folds. I like that I can just use the straps to carry it and not unfold the bag down over the bike if I want, or I can cover it. No padding, but I always put it derailleur side up and my trunk is carpeted anyway. I've even ridden with it strapped to the seat tube a few times, and then quick folded and covered to go take my bike into a movie theater rather than locking it up outside.
Whether you leave it uncovered in your trunk has more to do with where you live, the weather and the theft probability. If I left mine in the trunk, I'd just leave a piece of camping foam down permanently to set it on, rather than worry about a padded bag. Cover with a lawn trash bag. Cheap and replaceable.
Old 10-16-17, 02:18 PM
badmother

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Depends on your trunk, where you ride (how dirty the bike is), what else do you keep in the trunk and so on. I tend to keep a tarp and a fleece blanket in the trunk for such occations. Only on special occasions do we use bags in the car.