Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

New guy looking for MTB recommendations

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-18, 12:16 PM
cjomanche

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys, I know there's probably 3,549 identical threads on this but hoping to catch a few nice folks in a charitable mood with suggestions

Wife and I made a New Year's commitment to lose weight and get fitter. Down about 10-12 each so far, but still got some to go. We thought mountain biking would be a good thing to get into, since we live in an area with many trails nearby. Neither of us are professional bike riders, nor do we ever plan to be. We don't need something all tricked out for crazy obstacles... we just need a decent trail bike that can go over the occasional bump in the road. Hardtail seems like the way to go for us.

We don't want to spend a ton of money on bikes, but we also don't want to buy a Target brand special for $100 that will fall apart after a couple of rides.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys
Old 01-24-18, 01:54 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
The bike industry is very homogenous.
Similar money buys comparable bikes regardless of brand.
How much money are you looking to spend?
Look for a bike with a cassette rear hub, as opposed to freewheel hubs.
The axles are stronger.
Easiest way of almost always getting that right is to look for 8 speeds or more at the rear.
It’s not flashy, but 2x and 3x drivetrains still work fine.
I like air-oil forks.
They do require more maintenance, but are easier to dial in.
Hydro vs mech disc brakes is frequently debated.
Hydros give more braking per unit of hand effort.
WRT overall power mechanicals do fine too.
Old 01-24-18, 08:46 PM
hig4s

Bikes: Evil Insurgent, Giant Stance, Wife has Liv Cypress, son has Motobecane HT529

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Base level hardtails from any of the name brands from $300 to $500 will be plenty good enough to get you started and even keep you going into intermediate trails, for Giant/Liv that would be the ATX and the Bliss.

But if you can afford more look for bikes with full air forks and hydraulic brakes.

Just make sure you test ride a few, and get the right size, from brand to brand they can feel quite different.
Old 01-25-18, 09:59 AM
UtahRider

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Camber FSR

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Head over to your local bike shop and talk to them and see what is available, and what is a good bike for the trails you think you will be riding.
Old 02-02-18, 10:46 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 57 Posts
I’m not sure where you are in Utah. We ride there in the spring - after skiing and before the trails are useable around here (BC). We have ridden in most areas of the State. I feel that most trails are better enjoyed with a full suspension bike. I would suggest you rent one (we have used Red Rock in the StGeorge area) to try it out. Bicycling and healthy exercise is addictive. Don’t sell yourself short. Get the best bike you can afford and USE IT!
Old 02-03-18, 01:36 AM
BarryVee

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Santa Cruz Tallboy 27.5+

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Here's a couple to look at. Tire size might swing your decision.

https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/chameleon

https://www.fezzari.com/mountain-bikes/lone-peak
Old 02-03-18, 09:13 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by cjomanche
Hi guys, I know there's probably 3,549 identical threads on this but hoping to catch a few nice folks in a charitable mood with suggestions

Wife and I made a New Year's commitment to lose weight and get fitter. Down about 10-12 each so far, but still got some to go. We thought mountain biking would be a good thing to get into, since we live in an area with many trails nearby. Neither of us are professional bike riders, nor do we ever plan to be. We don't need something all tricked out for crazy obstacles... we just need a decent trail bike that can go over the occasional bump in the road. Hardtail seems like the way to go for us.

We don't want to spend a ton of money on bikes, but we also don't want to buy a Target brand special for $100 that will fall apart after a couple of rides.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys
Not sure I understand your type of riding correctly, but you may be better off with a rigid fork, like a hybrid with CF fork and large (2") tires. What was proposed here ($500 hardtail) won't give you a good suspension fork and no suspension is better than bad suspension. there are many threads here of people that bought such bike and install a rigid fork because the cheap suspension fork is just a bopping boat anchor.

I ride my toughroad Giant with ~20 psi in front and it works as well or even better over bumps (frost heaves etc.) as my old cheap MTB with suspension fork.

If you are more serious about MTB and really need a suspension fork, you probably look at $1000 or so. Or used.
Old 02-08-18, 01:51 PM
JonnyVain

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like Herr said, what do you mean by TRAIL? Like dirt path, gravel etc or singletrack with rock gardens, log jumps?

IMO, don't get a bike with a cheap suspension fork. They can weigh 5-6lbs, whereas a decent rigid steel fork will be around 2lbs, and the ride is much better.

Aluminum bikes are neat and I own them, but the difference in shock absorption between a steel and aluminum frame is significant, so something to consider if you have rough roads.
Old 02-08-18, 04:52 PM
carlosponti

Bikes: '90 Raleigh Technium Prestige, '90 Fuji Thrill - Gone, '18 Fuji Nevada 1.7 29er, '19 Fezzari Abajo Peak

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by UtahRider
Head over to your local bike shop and talk to them and see what is available, and what is a good bike for the trails you think you will be riding.
this is what I would have said, Your LBS guys probably ride the same trails you will. the ones i visit certainly do.