Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

National Packing List

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-17, 10:15 AM
Fast4 50

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
National Packing List

I'm heading out to Rock Hill for Master's Nationals' Is there anything you wish you had when you went to Nationals' in the past?
Old 06-21-17, 10:22 AM
rensho3

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A self powered, non-polluting, high velocity and output portable air conditioner/dehumidifier. Oh, and lightweight, aerodynamic, auto inflating protective bags like the type they used on the Mars Rovers when they landed, in case of a crash.
Old 06-21-17, 10:28 AM
Divebrian

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The tents are set up in a grassy area, you will need plywood under your rollers. If you aren't driving or don't bring it with you, there is a Home Depot across the street from the velodrome. I always try and take back ups to everything, including wheels, chain, master link, chain ring bolts, seat post clamp/bolts, etc. As the tents are set up in a grassy area, it will be very easy to drop a chain ring bolt or some other small item that will never be seen again. Oh, and always bring a stash of safety pins and zip ties.
Old 06-21-17, 11:38 AM
Fast4 50

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Divebrian
The tents are set up in a grassy area, you will need plywood under your rollers. If you aren't driving or don't bring it with you, there is a Home Depot across the street from the velodrome. I always try and take back ups to everything, including wheels, chain, master link, chain ring bolts, seat post clamp/bolts, etc. As the tents are set up in a grassy area, it will be very easy to drop a chain ring bolt or some other small item that will never be seen again. Oh, and always bring a stash of safety pins and zip ties.
So I don't need to bring a sun shade? The Rockhill Track has them set up?

thx. kevin
Old 06-21-17, 11:40 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Instead of starting a new thread, I'll add to this one:

Facts:

- You will not be guaranteed track time before your event like you would at your local track.
- If there is "open track", it may be from 6:00AM - 7:45AM...and your first event might be at 2PM.
- Your first event may be at 2PM on the schedule, but your name may not be called until 4PM.

How do you deal with this?
- Learn to do your entire warmup for the biggest event of the year in the infield with no track time. Even for the power events like the 500M, Kilo, and Match Sprints. You probably won't get to do your jumps on your race gear before your flying 200M.
- For last few race/training sessions at your local tracks, don't join the warmup pacelines or take any track time before your workouts/races. Do your entire warmup on your rollers/trainer. This will give you confidence that you can still perform at the same level while warming up only on rollers.

If you don't think it can work, just look at what happens in the infield at any televised world-level race. I've literally never seen an "open track" group warmup.

Also, the few brief moments that the commisars at Masters Nationals do open the track for open track, it's a mess. You'll do yourself a favor by staying out of it. Anyone who has been to Nationals before has stories about the craziness that has happened in open track.

Last edited by carleton; 06-21-17 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-21-17, 11:52 AM
Fast4 50

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton

Facts:

- You will not be guaranteed track time before your event like you would at your local track.
- If there is "open track", it may be from 6:00AM - 7:45AM...and your first event might be at 2PM.

- Learn to do your entire warmup for the biggest event of the year in the infield with no track time. Even for the power events like the 500M, Kilo, and Match Sprints. You probably won't get to do your jumps on your race gear before your flying 200M.
- For last few race/training sessions at your local tracks, don't join the warmup pacelines or take any track time before your workouts/races. Do your entire warmup on your rollers/trainer. This will give you confidence that you can still perform at the same level while warming up only on rollers.

If you don't think it can work, just look at what happens in the infield at any televised world-level race. I've literally never seen an "open track" group warmup.

Also, the few brief moments that the commisars at Masters Nationals do open the track for open track, it's a mess. You'll do yourself a favor by staying out of it. Anyone who has been to Nationals before has stories about the craziness that has happened in open track.
That is awesome advice. I have two more track w/o's planned before Nat's. I'll drag out the rollers for both of those. I was going to try to get some track time in though at the Giordana track, I've heard track shape is much different than my home track, BVV. For one thing the sticking speed is a lot lower because of the rough surface. This is the first Nat's I've been to since 1990 so I'm approaching it as a learning experience. Although I would like to make it past the F200.
Old 06-21-17, 11:54 AM
Fast4 50

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And what about holders for the Match Sprints if I make it that far? Do I need to bring my own or are there a few guys hanging around for the newbs' like me?
Old 06-21-17, 11:55 AM
Fast4 50

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rensho3
A self powered, non-polluting, high velocity and output portable air conditioner/dehumidifier. Oh, and lightweight, aerodynamic, auto inflating protective bags like the type they used on the Mars Rovers when they landed, in case of a crash.
Would one of these work? Are they even approved for track racing?

Last edited by Fast4 50; 06-21-17 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-21-17, 11:59 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Fast4 50
And what about holders for the Match Sprints if I make it that far? Do I need to bring my own or are there a few guys hanging around for the newbs' like me?
Great question.

There are helping hands all over that will hold you. You can bring up your buddy if you want or just tell the official that you need a holder. Be firm and deliberate in your instructions to your holder.
Old 06-21-17, 12:07 PM
carleton
Elitist

Also, treat scheduled times as "No earlier than..."

So, for example: You Time Trial is scheduled for 4PM. There is a group ahead of yours that finishes early. They will not start your group until 4PM.

However, if the group before you goes long (rain delay, everybody is slow as molasses in the winter time), then they will certainly bump your group's start. Races have started as late as like 8 or 9PM or later in the past.

That part is really tough to manage, especially in the heat in the infield. "Do I go back to the hotel? Do I go to a restaurant? Do I wait here in the heat?" There is no good answer.

Also, if you have issues with being in the heat for a long time, bring a method to deal with it. Cooling vest, cooler full of ice, water, and towels, etc... Heat saps power like nobody's business.
Old 06-21-17, 12:31 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
For one thing the sticking speed is a lot lower because of the rough surface.
I've seen plenty of people slide off the track at Rock Hill despite the rougher surface. You may be able to go slower, but you can't go slow.

There's also now a YMCA next to the track, and you can buy a day pass for $10, in case you want to go hide in there for the air conditioning or take a cold shower.
Old 06-21-17, 12:40 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by topflightpro
There's also now a YMCA next to the track, and you can buy a day pass for $10, in case you want to go hide in there for the air conditioning or take a cold shower.
Damn, that's smart.
Old 06-21-17, 12:41 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
You are going to need to stay out of the sun and manage heat. I died a long slow death at elite nats in Rock Hill several years ago.
Old 06-21-17, 02:23 PM
Divebrian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go to Giordanavelodrome.com and look 1/2 way down the page to find the Master's National info link. They have some good info posted. There will be a couple of hours between the morning session and evening session, so there should be plenty of track time available, but it probably won't coincide with your race warm up. They do have a crit course on the other end of the property (about 1/4 mile or so away), by the BMX track, that will be open and can be used for warm ups. It is built on the side of a hill, so it's not flat, but it is wide and will allow you to do a good warm up and jumps if you bring a road bike....just ride back to the velodrome and hop on the rollers until race time.
Old 06-21-17, 02:56 PM
tobukog

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
I've seen plenty of people slide off the track at Rock Hill despite the rougher surface. You may be able to go slower, but you can't go slow.

The sticking speed isn't bad if you're a lighter rider, and it's a low better near the bottom of the track than the top. Couple of weeks ago, an ex-national champ slid down the track. Big guy though!
Old 06-21-17, 03:51 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
If you're flying out, then bring two carry-on bags. One with just riding gear (helmet, shoes, skinsuit, gloves, pedals, sunglasses, and anything you might want to wear warming up). The other bag with your toiletries, two changes of clothes (normal clothes, sink-washable), your track gear bag (cogs, chainrings, small parts like bolts, pins..., the typical keirin tote will do), and any ID/documentation you need to race. If your checked bags and bike go missing, you can still borrow/rent a bike and still have everything you need to race during the event.

After that, it's all about knowing how to manage yourself at an event. Make sure you can keep cool (you might not need to bring anything for this if not needed).

If you have someone coming with you (friend, team mechanic, spouse), take a few cues from carleton's scheduling advice and explain to them that you would like them to track time for you, and how to do it. Mental exhaustion gets compounded when you're tired. Do anything you can to automate the process or have someone else help you with tracking your schedule. If you know you need to start your specific 30 minute kilo warm-up and 15 minutes to relax before "T minus Zero", then explain that to them. Mental exhaustion is often overlooked at an event this big, but it can dull you just the same way that heat does.
Old 06-21-17, 06:38 PM
topflightpro

Originally Posted by tobukog
The sticking speed isn't bad if you're a lighter rider, and it's a low better near the bottom of the track than the top. Couple of weeks ago, an ex-national champ slid down the track. Big guy though!
Yep, I was there for that. We raced each other that night - mass start stuff, not sprints.
Old 06-22-17, 10:26 AM
rensho3

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would one of these work? Are they even approved for track racing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW39_pXW3G4

Gosh, my wife thinks that would have helped a lot!
Old 06-22-17, 02:14 PM
tobukog

Yep, I was there for that. We raced each other that night - mass start stuff, not sprints.
Well, I plan on being their tomorrow night, and I'll try to ask around and report on the infield. Last year at track nationals there was a common roller tent that was open to everybody. I'll see if they might have something similar this year.

I love how people are "honing" their form. Me, I'm trying to bang by form into shape with a hammer. Preparations took a big step back with my tumble in a crit couple of weeks ago.
Old 06-22-17, 05:01 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton

Facts:

- Your first event may be at 2PM on the schedule, but your name may not be called until 4PM.

Yep. This is why I started that thread a while back about NO TRACK TIME warm-ups. Start getting your routine down now!
Old 06-23-17, 05:05 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Baby Puke
Yep. This is why I started that thread a while back about NO TRACK TIME warm-ups. Start getting your routine down now!

https://www.bikeforums.net/track-cyc...e-warm-up.html
Old 06-23-17, 06:33 AM
topflightpro

Originally Posted by tobukog
Well, I plan on being their tomorrow night, and I'll try to ask around and report on the infield. Last year at track nationals there was a common roller tent that was open to everybody. I'll see if they might have something similar this year.

I love how people are "honing" their form. Me, I'm trying to bang by form into shape with a hammer. Preparations took a big step back with my tumble in a crit couple of weeks ago.
By common roller tent, does that mean that you can set up your rollers there or that there are rollers to use?

I stopped by Costco this week to buy a collapsible wagon so I can easily haul all my crap from the car to the infield.
Old 06-23-17, 07:41 AM
tobukog

By common roller tent, does that mean that you can set up your rollers there or that there are rollers to use?

I stopped by Costco this week to buy a collapsible wagon so I can easily haul all my crap from the car to the infield.
That's smart!

Last year they had rollers to use.
Old 06-23-17, 11:25 AM
carleton
Elitist

The last couple of seasons that I raced, I used a military-spec backpack and was able to secure everything I needed for a track day in that with bike in one hand or on my shoulder. That still left another hand free to carry rollers. The double wheel bag with race wheels went on the other shoulder.

I would clip my helmets (normal and time trial) to the outside of the bag using D-clips. Water bottles went into the big side pockets. Gear bag, shoes, kits, tools, went inside.

To take it one step further, you can install a rope on your rollers and carry them on your shoulder as well.

All of that meant that I never needed to make an extra trip back to the car.

I've had dufflebags before or like hockey/football team bags almost. But they hang off of your shoulder. A big backpack is better because it frees up your hip area so you can walk your bike and/or carry rollers.
Old 06-23-17, 06:52 PM
Divebrian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I built a wagon that can carry two bikes on top, along with front wheels and has plenty of room in it for rollers, gears, aero bars, tools, water, food, chair and just about anything else you would need for a day at the track.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.