Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

DS Cone Removal

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

DS Cone Removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-19, 08:55 PM
CaptMike

Bikes: Waterford Sport Tourer, Merlin Extralight, Fuji Suncrest, Why Cycles Big Iron, Seven Monster X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
DS Cone Removal

I just removed the cassette, cleaned, then re-greased the bearings in my rear Shimano hub. Then decided to re-watch a couple of videos on the subject. They all said make sure you take the nut and cone off the NDS. I took them off the DS. I took care to count the number of threads sticking out past the lock nut, and matched that when I re-assembled. Is it that big of a deal to undo the DS? I haven't had the wheel back on the bike yet, as I am doing some other projects with it. All seems well. Thank you.
Old 05-16-19, 09:08 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
It's just more convenient to disassemble a rear axle from the non-drive side but there is no damage from undoing the DS end. If you leave one side (either side) assembled, the spacing on reassembly will automatically correct. You won't have to count threads but for future reference the axle protrusion is normally 5.5 mm on each side.
Old 05-16-19, 09:34 PM
CaptMike

Bikes: Waterford Sport Tourer, Merlin Extralight, Fuji Suncrest, Why Cycles Big Iron, Seven Monster X

Thank you for that, HillRider. Does that go for the front wheel, also?
Old 05-17-19, 06:33 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Originally Posted by CaptMike
Thank you for that, HillRider. Does that go for the front wheel, also?
Front wheels are symmetrical so it doesn't matter which side you disassemble. And, yes, the axle protrusion is the same as the rear.
Old 05-17-19, 06:55 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4208 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
The real issue with taking the axle out by removing the DS cone/lock nut is that on reassembly the DS cone can be inaccessible, surrounded by the freehub body end. In this case how do you insure that the DS cone and lock nut are fully tightened against each other, with the cone wrench not reaching the DS cone? By working through the NDS you retain access to the NDS cone during the final bearing adjustments. Andy
Old 05-17-19, 07:16 AM
HillRider

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
The real issue with taking the axle out by removing the DS cone/lock nut is that on reassembly the DS cone can be inaccessible, surrounded by the freehub body end. In this case how do you insure that the DS cone and lock nut are fully tightened against each other, with the cone wrench not reaching the DS cone? By working through the NDS you retain access to the NDS cone during the final bearing adjustments. Andy
Excellent point and I should have caught it. The driveside cone flats are usually buried inside the freehub body and can't be reached with a cone wrench. Also, you usually can't turn the axle around 180º either since the dust cover/seals aren't the same on both ends.

So, to the OP: With the axle removed from the hub, reassemble the driveside cone and locknut being sure to adjust for the correct axle protrusion. Then disassemble the non-drive side locknut, spacers and cone, reinstall the axle in the hub and reassemble and adjust from the non-drive side. And thank Andy for the correction.
Old 05-17-19, 08:57 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
AN other problem is if you don't get the right side tight enough progression will over tighten the bearings as you ride. I always work from the left side, front or rear.
Old 05-19-19, 07:37 PM
CaptMike

I did as you said, HillRider, and took it apart, and did it the right way. Thank you guys for the information.