Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Fixed gear chain tension?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-18, 11:28 AM
mrmb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts

How much slack measured in inches can you safely have?

I have a bike that has about 1in at the loose spot and about 1/8 in at the tight spot. That means push the upper portion of the chain as far up as I can, then let the chain relax. The chain travels 1in when I do this. There is no pushing down. I am mildly concerned by this.

I can not center the chainring to improve this. It is a campy record crank, campy record chainring and it is seemingly not centerable, not by the sheldon method or any other method I know. I am using a phil wood threaded cog, no centering to be done there either.
Old 08-23-18, 11:46 AM
Matt Gaunt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You definitely don't want to get into the habit of having 1 inch of vertical movement due to slack at any point in the chain IMHO. I try not to run any more than 0.5 inches as I've had chains jump off with much less than an inch of slack in them. It's not fun.

In case it's useful, I run a Miche crank, Miche chainring and a Dura-Ace cog.

Good luck.
Old 08-23-18, 12:23 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Something is wrong with the bike if the chain goes from 1" slack at the loosest point to 1/8" at the tightest point. Something is bent or not installed correctly.

The answer to the question isn't a number. If the chain can't be forced off the chainring or sprocket with a screwdriver then it is not too tight.

Do NOT try to force the chain off the ring or sprocket with your fingers.

-Tim-
Old 08-23-18, 12:25 PM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Biopace chainrings? Do they make Biopace cogs too?
Old 08-23-18, 01:33 PM
mrmb

What do you advise I look into TimothyH?
Old 08-23-18, 03:25 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 237 Posts
This is pretty surprising with campy crank/chainring. Is the bb axle bent, or the bb loose?

If the chain is too tight it will destroy bearings in the hub and bb, of it's much too loose you risk derailing the chain. Can you do this? If not it's okay, except for more slop when backpacking.
Old 08-23-18, 03:55 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4214 Post(s)
Liked 3,891 Times in 2,322 Posts
With some crank arms and ring combos there's a bit of clearance/slop with the ring bolts, the ring's bolt holes and the crank spider's ledge (that the ring sits on, if any). For minor out of round rings one can loosen the bolts slightly, rotate the crank so that the tight chain position is established and by grabbing the top and bottom run of the chain slightly shift the ring to be more on center. Not much correction is possible but sometimes it's enough to make a difference in the amount of tight to loose chain "tension".

As already mentioned by TimothyH said 7/8" of difference (1"-1/8") is a HUGE amount. I, too, wonder what's going on. Of course the first thing to revisit is the measurement. Andy
Old 08-23-18, 04:05 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by mrmb
How much slack measured in inches can you safely have?

I have a bike that has about 1in at the loose spot and about 1/8 in at the tight spot. That means push the upper portion of the chain as far up as I can, then let the chain relax. The chain travels 1in when I do this. There is no pushing down. I am mildly concerned by this.

I can not center the chainring to improve this. It is a campy record crank, campy record chainring and it is seemingly not centerable, not by the sheldon method or any other method I know. I am using a phil wood threaded cog, no centering to be done there either.
Have you tried mounting the chainring in different orientations on the crank spider to see if a combination of tolerances are causing your issue? (IOW, perhaps mounting the chainring two bolt holes off in one direction will cause it to run better.)

If nothing else, you could find the spot where the chainring pulls the tightest and file down the bottom of one or two chainring tabs to allow the chainring to be centered. Might only take a pass or two of light filing to accomplish your goal.

To answer the question that was asked: I don't shoot for a particular number when setting my chain slack anymore. I just spin the cranks, and confirm that there is a tiny amount of chain droop the whole way around. I get behind the rear cog and sight down the top run of chain to do this. If it seems like there is excessive droop, I'll try tightening the chain a little and spinning the cranks again. If the chain ever pulls completely straight at some point, I know I've gone too far.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 08-23-18 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-23-18, 04:32 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4814 Post(s)
Liked 3,944 Times in 2,566 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
With some crank arms and ring combos there's a bit of clearance/slop with the ring bolts, the ring's bolt holes and the crank spider's ledge (that the ring sits on, if any). For minor out of round rings one can loosen the bolts slightly, rotate the crank so that the tight chain position is established and by grabbing the top and bottom run of the chain slightly shift the ring to be more on center. Not much correction is possible but sometimes it's enough to make a difference in the amount of tight to loose chain "tension".

As already mentioned by TimothyH said 7/8" of difference (1"-1/8") is a HUGE amount. I, too, wonder what's going on. Of course the first thing to revisit is the measurement. Andy
Sheldon Brown has a routine you can do to minimize this difference if you have play in the chainring bolt holes and sleeves. I've never gotten it to work. I suspect you need to get the bolts very tight is you make a practice of skip stops.

I have had good luck buying quality track cranksets (Sugino 75 running Sugino and Campy rings), decent cogs (I like the Eur-Asian ones; they run a little rough but seem pretty round and resistant to chain throw. I bought one Surly, a 17 and don't trust it to not throw a chain on a less than perfect setup. Of my three fix gearrs, only one has the Sugino 75. The others are 110 BCD Sugino road cranks with1/8" rings. On those bikes, I will only run the Eur-Asian cogs. (Its a little backwards. Because I don't trust it, that Surly gets "relegated" to my best bike. I run the $20 Isuzue 1/8" chains. Again, other chains run smoother, but those ones I trust to stay on.

I do a lot of hills and some very fast descents on my fix gears, Not as crazy as I was 30-40 years ago, but still ... I want gear that is still in place at the bottoms. Means far more to me than some mystical smoothness or silence.

Ben
Old 08-24-18, 01:35 PM
mrmb

Well, I tried, tried and tried. Not going to happen. This thing is like a camshaft lobe and there is no centering this this. I machined the tabs a little and oversized the bolt holes a little to allow for some centering....................nothing.

Nothing is bent, there is no wobble to anything.

I just can not get chain tension to be even close to uniform. My other 4 bikes are perfect in this regard so I know what it takes to get good chainline and good uniform chain tension. It is just not going to happen.

I am moving on to a dura ace crank set, shimano bb and not sure on the chainring yet.

Anyone want a campy record crankset, phil wood bb and phil wood bb wrench? If so, pm me.