Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Lessons learned from first group ride - Oh Silly Me!!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-11, 12:53 PM
david58

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

• It is hot in Alabama in the summertime
  • Be suspicious if the ride description does not include any statements about pace
  • Ignore the bike tech - if the rentabike doesn't feel right, it isn't right and don't ride till you are comfortable with the fit
  • A new bike takes getting used to - don't expect to be able to ride as well on it as your own bike - you invariably will have different shifters or something that will take you out of your game.
  • Riding bicycles in Alabama in August is Hot!
Did I mention the heat in Alabama?
I have had two, count em, 2, mornings riding to work in Oregon where having arm warmers would not have been excessive. We STARTED riding at a temperature higher than we did a Century in last week (and complained about the heat). Oh, I forgot to mention humidity.

Humiliation came fast. With the seat too low by 1-1/2", and a Sora shifter set that had me trying to shift my brakes all morning, I was well back of the century group at the first rest stop at 18 miles (still hit a ~20 pace!). The hammerheads were starting to pull out as I pulled in, and the slow group was going to be pushing a 19 pace.

Fortunately for me, the 40 mile, 15-16 pace group was on the same part of the route early. So I told pride to shut up and went the remainder of the ride with them - I THINK I could have stayed with the slow group on the century, but if I had issues someone would have to slow their ride for me, and I could be lost for weeks on those country roads.....

But the experience of riding in a faster, pacing group was an eye opener. Even though I got seriously dropped in the WARMUP phase, I now have a better idea of what I have to shoot for, and where the next step in fitness has to take me. Got a lot of work to do. But gonna have a cold beer first....

Dang, they kicked my A$$!

And a PS - if you rent a bike, make SURE you are comfortable before you leave the parking lot! I made the first portion of the ride stupidly more difficult, and my quads hurt much more than they had to, by not getting all the adjustments right before I hit the road. And even with correct adjustment, it still ain't your bike.....

But almost any day on a bike is a good day!

Did I mention the heat?
Old 08-20-11, 01:35 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I'm glad you learned a few lessons.
I guess deep down inside you have to admit it was fun.

BTW: Alabama is a lot hotter than Oregon.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 08-20-11, 01:41 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Take it that it was not a good ride.

Group rides are not the best to do if you do not know the group- the pace they ride at or have any idea about the route they are going on. I have a local group of serious riders and they are below my pace till they get to the hills. Then there are several that I will not try and stick with and several that are around my pace. I learnt on that first ride with them that I do not not like their riding style.

Next time out I went with the older group. Very sociable but I should have known what kind of ride they do by looking at the chainrings. 48/36/24 should have given me an idea that they were going to do the hillier bits round here- but I "Thought" that as older riders- they needed low gears. NO---They did hills. While I was having to push up the hills on a std Double crank- they were chatting to each other and keeping a good even pace while I was knocking my thighs out on the Steep bits.

But I persevered- Put the compact on the bike- Carbo Loaded and went out with the Them again. That was the ride they did across the marshes and I took my fair share of Leading for 48 miles and Then Died on the way back into the headwind when I got dropped- which seemed to be about every 10 miles or so.

Still see those groups out on the road and I don't envy them. I will stick to my Solo Rides and enjoy them. I just do not enjoy riding at other riders pace.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-20-11, 01:49 PM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Hot in Alabama? In August? Cmon, your kidding, right!

Tough way to learn, but learn you did. I enjoyed your adventure. It's good to see your man enough to fess up to how hard it was. Alot of guys might not put that out there. And hey, have another beer, you deserve it!
Old 08-20-11, 02:10 PM
david58

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Giacomo 1
Hot in Alabama? In August? Cmon, your kidding, right!

Tough way to learn, but learn you did. I enjoyed your adventure. It's good to see your man enough to fess up to how hard it was. Alot of guys might not put that out there. And hey, have another beer, you deserve it!
Alabama is a beer desert. Speaking as one that does training rides out past the Rogue hopyards, and who rides there for Saturday lunch with the wife, and who homebrews, and who is fat, Michelob Ultra is barely a beer. But in a pinch.....

Am certainly looking forward to my next visit down here over a weekend - the day will come when I ain't they one they're dropping!

Grew up in Tennessee, but after 30 years living out west, my acclimation is all the way gone - shucks, when I coached HS soccer, regulations wouldn't let me have practiced the kids at the heat index when we were riding! When it comes to heat, we Willamette Valley folk are truly wimps.

Hey, where's my other beer?