Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Peugeot find

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Peugeot find

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-18, 04:20 PM
stykthyn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Peugeot find

I found this bike. . Literally found it abandoned. Waited a week and no one had claimed it so i brought it home. Appears to be a 79 to 81 pkn10e, but the crank doesnt have the drilled chainrings so i am unsure.. any help? Would it be worth restoring? I do love the process, but i don't really have any feelings towards this machine one way or the other so i would likely gift it or sell it. Functionally it's all there. Rear wheel is off in the pics but i have it.

Old 09-25-18, 04:26 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
I'd restore that always liked that era of Peugeot bike colors and decals, I bet it will clean up nicely and be a good rider for someone. I would be thrilled if that model/Era Peugeot fell into my lap. This link may be helpful in identifying the frame.
Old 09-25-18, 04:30 PM
stykthyn

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ryansu
I'd restore that always liked that era of Peugeot bike colors and decals, I bet it will clean up nicely and be a good rider for someone. I would be thrilled if that model/Era Peugeot fell into my lap. This link may be helpful in identifying the frame.
thanks for the link. Looks like a 79. At the very least i will cut/buff the paint and polish the shiny bits. It rides silky smooth and even with that monstrosity of a seat it comes in under 25 pounds. Not a bad machine. Just don't want to pour money into it.

Last edited by stykthyn; 09-25-18 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-25-18, 04:44 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

Great find!

Yes, that Troxel, or whatever it is, has GOT to go.

​​​​​​​-----
Old 09-25-18, 04:58 PM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
Those dropouts leads me to believe it’s an 80. Everything else seems to fit with it being an 80 except the crankset. Could easily enough be a Peugeot anomaly. The 79-80 time was a big transition period for Peugeot and its pretty common that the bikes that ended up at the shops for sale didn’t perfectly match what the brochures outlined. So it wouldn’t at all surprise me to see an ‘80 model sporting a ‘79 crankset. I owned what I believe is a ‘79 and it had the older type simplex dropouts and mafac centerpulls. But for all I know, mine could have been an anomaly because it was silver, which according to the brochures wasn’t available in 79 or 80. Could have been a replacement crankset by a previous owner as well. No way know. Decent bike. The 3 main tubes are straight gauge (non butted) Reynolds 531, the rest of the frame is whatever steel Peugeot manufactured. Most likely carbolite 103. The real challenge will be removing that crankset to service the bottom bracket.

Last edited by seamuis; 09-25-18 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-25-18, 05:05 PM
stykthyn

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by seamuis
Those dropouts leads me to believe it’s an 80. Everything else seems to fit with it being an 80 except the crankset. Could easily enough be a Peugeot anomaly. The 79-80 time was a big transition period for Peugeot and its pretty common that the bikes that ended up at the shops for sale didn’t perfectly match what the brochures outlined. So it wouldn’t at all surprise me to see an ‘80 model sporting a ‘79 crankset. I owned what I believe is a ‘79 and it had the older type simplex dropouts and mafac centerpulls. Could have been a replacement crankset by a previous owner as well. No way know. Decent bike. The 3 main tubes are straight gauge (non butted) Reynolds 531, the rest of the frame is whatever steel Peugeot manufactured. Most likely carbolite 103. The real challenge will be removing that crankset to service the bottom bracket.
Do you know if it's french threaded?
Old 09-25-18, 05:12 PM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Originally Posted by stykthyn
Do you know if it's french threaded?
as with everything else Peugeot that’s a difficult question to answer. Could be, could not be. The 79-80 model years was when Peugeot was moving over to using English standard for their bikes. My example, believe it or not was literally a mix. It did have french threaded bb though. If yours is an 80 model, especially if it’s closer in date to 81, there’s a better chance it’s english. If it is a 79 or early 80 there’s a better chance it’s french. I’m far from an expert but I did do a lot of research when I came into possession of my pkn10 in trying to identify and date it. Peugeot was an absolute mess at the time, and I’m not sure anything they produced properly matched their sales brochures.
Old 09-25-18, 05:18 PM
stykthyn

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the reply. BB feels smooth. Someone went through some effort to keep things smooth on the not too distant past. It was clearly someone's daily transportation. Unfortunately i think it was stolen and abandoned.
Old 09-25-18, 05:36 PM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Thanks for the reply. BB feels smooth. Someone went through some effort to keep things smooth on the not too distant past. It was clearly someone's daily transportation. Unfortunately i think it was stolen and abandoned.
well best I can assume is that if it feels like it was serviced there’s a better chance it’s english. But English threaded doesn’t mean that it uses English standard 22mm crank puller. It will most likely still be the stronglight proprietary 23.35mm, in fact I’d bet on it. I don’t know that I would ride or restore to sell a rescued bike without doing a service overhaul, but I would also not presume to tell anyone else what they should do. At the end of the day, wether it’s a 79 or 80 doesn’t really make a difference. The frames were essentially the same and it’s a decent bike all around.
Old 09-25-18, 05:40 PM
stykthyn

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'll hit up my co op and ask them to inspect the bottom end. They specialize in old steel, I'm sure they would have the tools to get it done.
Old 09-25-18, 06:54 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts

It looks very similar to my '78, which I think is a PR10, though advertised as a PN10. The Pug model numbers are especially confusing. The decals and frame look similar to mine, but I have Mafac center pulls, and the clear plastic covered head badge. It is a great riding bike. Mine came with a Stronglight TS crank, with a stripped pedal thread. I removed the TS with great difficulty, and mounted a Sugino GT compact double. Good luck with yours. That was a great time for Pugeout color/decal combinations. I changed the brake levers to Campy aero, since it had incorrect ones when I got it anyway. The front Simplex plastic derailleur was broken so I replaced it temporarily with a Shimano Exage, which seems to work. Mine doesn't have the threaded drop out screw adjusters. Heres mine.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 09-25-18 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-25-18, 07:01 PM
stykthyn

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by slightspeed
it looks very similar to my '78, which i think is a pr10, though advertised as a pn10. The pug model numbers are especially confusing. The decals and frame look similar to mine, but i have mafac center pulls, and the clear plastic covered head badge. It is a great riding bike. Mine came with a stronglight ts crank, with a stripped pedal thread. I removed the ts with great difficulty, and mounted a sugino gt compact double. Good luck with yours. That was a great time for pugeout color/decal combinations. I changed the brake levers to campy aero, since it had incorrect ones when i got it anyway. The front simplex plastic derailleur was broken so i replaced it temporarily with a shimano exage, which seems to work. Mine doesn't have the threaded drop out screw adjusters. Heres mine.
nice!!!
Old 09-25-18, 07:30 PM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Originally Posted by Slightspeed
It looks very similar to my '78, which I think is a PR10, though advertised as a PN10. The Pug model numbers are especially confusing. The decals and frame look similar to mine, but I have Mafac center pulls, and the clear plastic covered head badge. It is a great riding bike. Mine came with a Stronglight TS crank, with a stripped pedal thread. I removed the TS with great difficulty, and mounted a Sugino GT compact double. Good luck with yours. That was a great time for Pugeout color/decal combinations. I changed the brake levers to Campy aero, since it had incorrect ones when I got it anyway. The front Simplex plastic derailleur was broken so I replaced it temporarily with a Shimano Exage, which seems to work. Mine doesn't have the threaded drop out screw adjusters. Heres mine.
yours has the pre 1979 decal scheme, but it does have the older style simplex dropouts that my (believed) ‘79 has. The key in my opinion though on the model year of the OPs bike is that his frame has water bottle bosses. Regardless of everything else, I don’t know of any literature pre 1980 that had a pk10 or similar model with bosses. That was included on this model starting in 1980.
Old 09-25-18, 07:43 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by seamuis

yours has the pre 1979 decal scheme, but it does have the older style simplex dropouts that my (believed) ‘79 has. The key in my opinion though on the model year of the OPs bike is that his frame has water bottle bosses. Regardless of everything else, I don’t know of any literature pre 1980 that had a pk10 or similar model with bosses. That was included on this model starting in 1980.
My gold one does not have bottle mount bosses, or the braze on top tube cable guides, both of which I wish it had, but I do like the head badge.
Old 09-26-18, 07:56 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
Appears identically equipped, component wise, as my 79 PKN10. My bottom bracket spindle was embossed with a "07 79" date. Suggest you clean, lube, adjust and ride it, then decide if you want to sell. They are a great C&V ride. Don
edit PKN10e brochure link: https://www.bikeboompeugeot.com/Broch...ompetition.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2234.jpg (1.01 MB, 166 views)

Last edited by ollo_ollo; 09-26-18 at 08:11 AM. Reason: add brochure link
Old 09-26-18, 08:49 AM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Someone went through some effort to keep things smooth on the not too distant past. It was clearly someone's daily transportation. Unfortunately i think it was stolen and abandoned.
In the event you want to make one more stab at finding the owner, you can place a "bike found" ad on Craigslist and give a vague description of the bike and where it was found (blue bike found near 4th & Main). Ask for specifics to verify ownership. I've done that a couple of times when a bike seemed too nice to have been abandoned.
Old 09-26-18, 09:54 AM
sdn40

Bikes: 88 Cannondale Criterium

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 91 Posts
Those Peugeots will always be top 3 for me as far as paint and decals go
Old 09-26-18, 11:38 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
1983 psv-10

I finally got around to putting together my 1983 PSV-10 that I bought as a frame with cranks, headset, brake calipers and FD back in 2010.

The cranks were Stronglight 104 with drilled chainrings. When I overhauled the BB I was surprised to find that it was Swiss metric with a LH threaded fixed cup. I was expecting British thread on a 1983 Peugeot. It was low quality Peugeot branded rather than Stronglight.

I used my "gauge" cups to make sure that the threads were 35mm x 1 not British. The cups and spindle were toast. Fortunately I had a couple of mismarked NOS Swiss fixed cups and put in a NOS Stronglight BB.

The original Peugeot spindle was 120mm wide rather than the standard Stronglight 118mm so I used a 120mm replacement. After assembly and several re-torquings of the crank arm bolts I figured out why they used a 120mm spindle. The Stronglight 104 crank arms are cast not forged like most previous model Stronglight cranks: 49, 57, 63, 93, 1st generation 99, 105, 106...

The square is cast in rather than broached and the aluminum is softer and seats onto the spindle further.

I updated the plastic Stronglight B10 headset to one of the current model A9 headsets with sealed cartridge ball bearings plus installed Stronglight retrofriction levers. Fortunately I had a set of Mavic Module-E wheels with low flange Normandy Competition Luxe hubs that were spec'd for this bike.

Finished. It rides and handles GREAT!

BTW @seamuis I don't recall ever seeing any French bikes after about 1975 that had straight gage Reynolds 531 tubing. 3 TUBES RENFORCES means only the 3 main tube tubes are butted Reynolds 531.

@stykthyn That saddle is grossly obscene! More so than the old mattress Troxel saddles of the mid 70's.

Also, just my opinion but for Karmic reasons, I'd make a concerted effort to see if you could find the owner in case it was stolen. You can find abandoned bikes around college campuses in June at the end of school year but not so much at the beginning of a semester.

I've found several stolen bikes over the years and it was a good feeling reuniting them with their owners.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 09-26-18 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-26-18, 02:19 PM
stykthyn

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I put a message out on the local fb groups. I'll keep it safe for a while. If no one steps forward I'll likely just take it in to the co-op and have them address the bottom bracket. I'll look for a period correct rear wheel and seat while I'm there. It's a shame to see so many bikes that have giant cruiser seats on them. I will never understand it.
Old 11-08-18, 06:39 PM
stykthyn

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Couldn't get anyone to claim this machine so ive decided to keep it and make it my commuter. Had the shop go through the bottom bracket and wheel hubs. Swapped aero brakes up front and put a set of correct wheels i had in storage from a previous build. It rides so sweet. This is the single best friction shifting bike ive ever been on. It just falls into gear.
Old 11-08-18, 07:01 PM
stykthyn

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old 11-08-18, 08:10 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Couldn't get anyone to claim this machine so ive decided to keep it and make it my commuter. Had the shop go through the bottom bracket and wheel hubs. Swapped aero brakes up front and put a set of correct wheels i had in storage from a previous build. It rides so sweet. This is the single best friction shifting bike ive ever been on. It just falls into gear.
Those old Simplex derailleurs worked pretty well. Even the plastic ones, until the wheels fell apart or the Delrin failed. The better Hurets worked pretty well also. I think the Simplex derailleurs worked at least as well as the NR.