Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Spoke Tension. Same Side.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Spoke Tension. Same Side.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-18, 06:39 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4340 Post(s)
Liked 2,985 Times in 1,621 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Not quite.

Actually it would be easy to build a radial wheel with every alternating spoke having higher or lower tension, as long as the rim were stiff enough to withstand it.
Oh of course, you could even do it with half the spokes loose. Disregard and rant on.
Old 01-28-18, 07:00 PM
chorlton

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I guess that you really do believe that Einstein disproved Newton since you've managed to make a quantum leap from my reference to torsional equilibrium in either flange to equal tensions in both.
Next up you will bypass Heisenberg and introduce the cat owned by Schrödinger.

Seriously, stop being angry or defensive and open your eyes.
Given I am used to you I have acquired a certain level of immunity to such suggestions from yourself.

Consider --- the flange has spokes spiraling out in two directions, clockwise and counter-clockwise. The total torque of all the spokes equals zero, so, the sums of all the right pointing spokes has to equal the sum of all the left pointing spokes. Whatever else is happening cannot change this, so your original demonstration of tension difference must be flawed.
Yup... you have already, mistakenly, done that one.

One of the most basic rules of engineering logic is that when you've proven an impossibility, you need to check your assumptions.
As I say. Good luck with the Patent. Elsewhere one of the concepts of reducing a problem to its basics is the opportunity to exclude degrees of freedom. You still seem to be fixated on radial tension/torque in an effort to prove yourself. In respect of the present discussion that degree of freedom is lost or otherwise irrelevant... Unless you care to explain why it is not.

(that's 3)
Presumably 4) will explain something or you will just meaninglessly repeat yourself.
Old 01-28-18, 07:14 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 885 Posts
Originally Posted by chorlton
Plug in your own number.

Into what?
You already have my opinion of your credibility.

Continue the ankle biting. At least you're good at that.
Old 01-28-18, 07:21 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 902 Posts
Wow chorlton, why such salty remarks?

Honestly, if you dont' want comments or if you don't want to engage in a conversation about this, then I suggest you tag a moderator to close your thread.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 01-28-18, 07:29 PM
chorlton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bill kapaun
into what?
kgf...
Attached Images
Old 01-28-18, 07:31 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5824 Post(s)
Liked 2,660 Times in 1,478 Posts
Next up you will bypass Heisenberg and introduce the cat owned by Schrödinger......
Actually, I've always been more a fan of Bohr and Fermi, but that's besides the point.

But let's cut the nonsense and stick to the point of YOUR thread and what you posted.

My objection was to this particular sentence---

Perhaps another and more realistic reason why you are not going to achieve it is that same side spokes exit the flange on opposite sides and therefore at different axial angles because of the width of the flange.

You posited a non fact, and a flawed explanation as to why that might be.

I simply corrected the error by pointing out that the average tension of the heads in and heads out spokes has to be equal, with a proof elating to the torsion they impose on the flange. I think my explanation was clear and that everyone who read it saw the logic. (if anyone besides the OP want's me to clarify or simplify the logic, please and I'll walk it through)

You keep insisting it's wrong, and getting into personalities, but you fail to offer any explanation of where and how my torsional argument fails.

So, feel free to stick to your guns, but for your own sake, give serious thought to my argument (as false as it seems), and consider that if it's possible to build even tensioned wheels, as so many people have been doing for a century, then your conclusion is wrong, and then work back to find the flaw in your process.

(or don't)

But one thing this arrogant New Yorker knows is that responding to logic with name calling only works if you're a billionaire.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 01-28-18 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-28-18, 07:32 PM
chorlton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Wow chorlton, why such salty remarks?

Honestly, if you dont' want comments or if you don't want to engage in a conversation about this, then I suggest you tag a moderator to close your thread.
Thanks for the concern but things are fine.
Old 01-28-18, 08:15 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

kgf...
Why?
NOTHING you've posted is going to help someone build a better wheel.

Added to my Ignore List because that's where you belong.

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 01-28-18 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-28-18, 08:20 PM
chorlton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Actually, I've always been more a fan of Bohr and Fermi, but that's besides the point.
You appear to be on the wrong side of the Pauli Exclusion Principle.

But let's cut the nonsense and stick to the point of YOUR thread and what you posted.

My objection was to this particular sentence---

Perhaps another and more realistic reason why you are not going to achieve it is that same side spokes exit the flange on opposite sides and therefore at different axial angles because of the width of the flange.

You posited a non fact, and a flawed explanation as to why that might be.
Gosh.. Same side spokes exit the flange on opposite sides at different axial angles because of the width of the flange. In what way is this a non fact and, for the spatially unchallenged, why might that not be?

I simply corrected the error by pointing out that the average tension of the heads in and heads out spokes has to be equal, with a proof elating to the torsion they impose on the flange. I think my explanation was clear and that everyone who read it saw the logic. (if anyone besides the OP want's me to clarify or simplify the logic, please and I'll walk it through)
As already demonstrated your off the cuff correction was incorrect, included no proof and so lacking in clarity that you are forced to repeat it in the hope that someone is going to believe there was some concept of clarity. Unfortunately I am excluded from asking you to provide such clarity. Perhaps someone else can ask you to walk them through it.

You keep insisting it's wrong, and getting into personalities, but you fail to offer any explanation of where and how my torsional argument fails.
I have suggested it is wrong and given reasons as to why. In respect of personalities... you are what you have been in the past and continue to be at the moment and presumably will remain so into the future.

So, feel free to stick to your guns, but for your own sake, give serious thought to my argument (as false as it seems), and consider that if it's possible to build even tensioned wheels, as so many people have been doing for a century, then your conclusion is wrong, and then work back to find the flaw in your process.
That's a big cluster of Sophistry.

(or don't)
Guess What?

But one thing this arrogant New Yorker knows is that responding to logic with name calling only works if you're a billionaire.
you're all wet
I guess you are a Billionaire.
Old 01-28-18, 08:34 PM
chorlton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Why?
NOTHING you've posted is going to help someone build a better wheel.
Perhaps not but Google appears to be full of people waving their spoke tension meters at wheels asking questions about difference in tension of same side spokes and, according to me, the difference is naturally there.

Added to my Ignore List because that's where you belong.
Promise not to peek later?
Old 01-28-18, 09:18 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Thanks for the concern but things are fine.
I'm not sure about that. I think you might want to go over the forum guidelines. Respect is key.

Please lose the saltiness. Sweetness goes a long way.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 01-28-18, 09:42 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
Just true your damned wheels and RIDE!!!
Jon
Old 01-28-18, 09:58 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5824 Post(s)
Liked 2,660 Times in 1,478 Posts
Perhaps not but Google appears to be full of people waving their spoke tension meters at wheels asking questions about difference in tension of same side spokes and, according to me, the difference is naturally there.....
OK, how about we stick to basic principles. Take a look at those questions, and see if there's a pattern of people reporting alternating hi/lo tension patterns, or simply tension variance.

The former is what you're theory predicts, so if it's not there, then the theory is flawed, and you need to review your assumptions. (I grant that the math is probably not the issue).

You might also actually measure a bunch of wheels yourself, and if their good wheels without significant random variance, you won't find the hi/lo pattern there either.

As I posted and which you totally reject is that we've been building evenly tensioned wheels for over a century, so since there's no magic, we can say with authority that any theory that predicts that this isn't possible is somehow flawed.

So, hate me all you want, call me me a sophist or any other names, but I'm simply the messenger. Reality asserts itself and you can't buck reality.

BTW - you do raise an interesting point, but since it flies in the face of reality, one might be curious about where you went wrong. I have some ideas, but given that you think I'm an idiot I have no interest in trying to change your mind.

So, straight out, you're off base, not because I say so, but because millions of wheels say so.

----------------------

BTW - Sui Blue Wind is a mod, so feel free to rant at me and call me names, but you might make an effort to respect her advice.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-28-18, 10:26 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

He's not telling the truth. Im not a mod. LOL
Old 01-28-18, 10:43 PM
3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26454 Post(s)
Liked 10,411 Times in 7,229 Posts
...reinventing the wheel, one spoke at a time.
Old 01-28-18, 11:09 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4824 Post(s)
Liked 3,948 Times in 2,568 Posts
"Perhaps another and more realistic reason why you are not going to achieve it is that same side spokes exit the flange on opposite sides and therefore at different axial angles because of the width of the flange."

"However you are quite correct that I have not as yet included the effects of interlacing."

Not including spoke cross is solving for a case no one uses for good reason. I won't bother to say more because it isn't worth my time to make colorful models to arrive at what has been known for a century.

Ben
Old 01-29-18, 01:11 AM
Kontact

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4467 Post(s)
Liked 1,604 Times in 1,055 Posts
Chorlton,

Which spoke has more angle where it enters the rim: The head in or head out spoke on the drive side of a 3 cross wheel?
Old 01-29-18, 01:50 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I think your interpretation of ”equal tension same side” might be a tad overzealous compared to original intent and general interpretation.
Building with strict control of number of turns, I can get a wheel that’s passably round and true, but with a pattern of every 2nd spoke of the same side having higher or lower tension.
The difference tends to be fairly small, but consistent over the wheel, and present in every build.
To the extent that I have thought about it, I’ve always assumed it due to the differences in spoke path.
So as soon as I judge the wheel firm enough, I add the appropriate turns round the wheel and finish the build.
The key thing IMO is that the systematic differences a decent builder might create while building by ”muscle memory” tend to be far smaller than those found on a poor machine built or inexpertedly trued wheel.
I’m not saying it can’t happen, but a wheel suffering from fatigue failures due to the systematic differences not being compensated for would have been a rather marginal build to start with.
Old 01-29-18, 05:47 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
I keep coming back to my program for doing this stuff... because I can. Most recently I have added the ability, perhaps wasted, to deal with butted/non-butted spokes and work out the relative tensions, ratio of sines, as well as take into account elongation of the spokes when under tension.

In respect of elongation then, assuming I have got the sums right, it really does not seem to matter much. Perhaps 1/10th of a millimetre. Slightly disappointed and still concerned I might have the sums wrong there. One thing that does appear to drop out of things is relative tension for same side spokes.

Reading about the place it would seem that the goal is for equal tension in same side spokes but apparently due to tolerances and stuff you cannot achieve it within 'mumble' percent.

Picture: This is a nominal 700C front wheel with the added bells and whistles. I have overdone the precision. Anyway it has some butted spokes. The Radial and Axial angles are for the Nipples and some trigonometry rule says I can transpose them to the hub.

Target tension was/is 130KGf with a Youngs Modulus of 180GPa/m^2. Program checks for spoke with smallest angle and then works out the rest based on that. Inner spokes on either side have the smallest angle and end up at 130KGf.

Outer spokes on the same side, apart from diving into the flange, have the larger angle and... end up at 112.66KGf. If and when I take out the dive into the flange that will get lower.

Of itself that seems/is significant and suggests that aiming for equal tension on same side spokes, assuming I read other people's words correctly, is perhaps a fallacy that should not necessarily be dismissed for reasons of accuracy of measurment but is in fact 'a real thing'.

FWIW I find this very interesting. Wanted to do something similar (with chains though), but my knowledge of working with modelling engineering software is zero. I'll post a few things, hoping you and other members will correct me if I'm wrong. Take it all as "IMO and experience" which are both limited, of course.

1) Elongation
1/10 of a millimetre is not little, it's a lot. Even a relatively thin, weak rim doesn't deflect too much at ground contact point. Using modern, double walled rigid rims, it's even less so. Probably not over 0.05 mm. So 0.1 mm spoke elongation allows for it not to become slack when unloaded.

2) Flange exit side (and angle)
Yes, there is a (measurable) difference in angle. Hence, a spoke pulling with 100 kgf from the outer edge will move rim more (all other spoke tension being equal), than one coming from the inner side of the flange having the same tension.
However, that spoke is "paired" with another one from the other side of the hub, also coming from the same side of the flange.
digression: Also, angle differences are very small (though your program seems to calculate, probably correctly, that it ammounts to quite some kgf difference, if I understood it all correctly).
That should keep the rim straight (all things being equal and "perfect"), with very little difference in spoke tension on the same hub side.

3) Spoke crossing ("dynamic"? analysis) - some have mentioned this
Once a wheel gets loaded, say a driving torque through the hub. Every second (trailing?) spoke at each side gets extra load, while every other gets unloaded. The unloaded part is more important - it's bad when spokes become slack. Crossing them allows for the spokes that get more tension to pull the "slackened" ones a bit, at the crossing, and reduce the ammount of unload those spokes get - to some degree.

This could also be considered for a static, unloaded analysis, but I doubt there's (that much) effect and difference.

Another thing I'm curious about is - on a trued wheel, when tightening one spoke by say 20 % more (and loosening it by the same amount) - what happens to other spokes tension. Especially the 3 spokes to the left and right next to it, and to a few spokes on the opposite side of the rim. Can you test that in the program?
How do results compare to simulating 0.05 mm rim deflection at ground contact point, without previously changing spoke tensions?

Thumbs up for the experiment.

Last edited by Bike Gremlin; 01-29-18 at 06:16 AM.
Old 01-29-18, 06:50 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
...Google appears to be full of people waving their spoke tension meters at wheels asking questions about difference in tension of same side spokes and, according to me, the difference is naturally there.
In every case I've seen those people have substituted meters for their brains. They fail to understand that on a new, straight rim the spokes merely hold the wheel in the correct plane and equidistant from the axle. They don't really "true" it much at all, but are mainly adjusted so that they don't distort it under tension. On a used wheel, or one that is not fairly straight and round, each spoke must sometimes pull a bit harder or less than others to make up for those imperfections. Sometimes the rim is physically distorted enough that it is simply not possible to approach even tension and trueness together. It would be the same as someone expecting their pedaling force to be the same at a constant speed on a circular course as on the open road with hills and curves.

I would be glad to see your example of Google being full of links (not people, as you seem to consider yourself a master of technical language) showing people reporting a consistent alternating pattern of same-side tension differences. Only then will I consider your exercise anything other than a solution to an imagined problem.

Last edited by cny-bikeman; 01-29-18 at 07:16 AM.
Old 01-29-18, 08:21 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Just bragging here so, aside from it being an interesting data point, it probably doesn't mean anything.

I once rebuilt the rear wheel for my Santana tandem. Santana tandems have a 160 mm rear dropout spacing so there no dish is required. Using my normal practice, after gradually bringing the spokes up to tension I equalized them using my cheap Wheelsmith tensiometer. To my surprise, after putting the wheel in my truing stand, it required no touch up truing at all.
Old 01-29-18, 11:00 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Originally Posted by cny-bikeman
......I would be glad to see your example of Google being full of links (not people, as you seem to consider yourself a master of technical language) showing people reporting a consistent alternating pattern of same-side tension differences. Only then will I consider your exercise anything other than a solution to an imagined problem.
I bought a $30 front for a flip bike.
1/2 the spokes were proper tension and 1/2 were "about" 1/2 proper tension.
They were alternating, but I don't remember the exact sequence.
I believe it was simply inadequate machine truing/tensioning.

Maybe a $50 wheel gets an extra pass through the truing/tensioning cycle and shows less difference, but still alternating? It seems quite plausible to me.
Old 01-29-18, 12:02 PM
IK_biker
old fart

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Same side spokes exit the flange on opposite sides at different axial angles because of the of the flange
Perhaps you would consider learning to use a more precise language if you wish to engage in adult conversations.
The flange has no "width", the hub does. The flange has _thickness_ instead.

Let me know if this is a proper explanation of your mistake (as opposed to merely pointing it out). If needed, I could certainly use simpler terms or draw you a picture, so you'd understand.
Old 01-29-18, 02:30 PM
chorlton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Slaninar
Another thing I'm curious about is - on a trued wheel, when tightening one spoke by say 20 % more (and loosening it by the same amount) - what happens to other spokes tension. Especially the 3 spokes to the left and right next to it, and to a few spokes on the opposite side of the rim. Can you test that in the program?

How do results compare to simulating 0.05 mm rim deflection at ground contact point, without previously changing spoke tensions?

Thumbs up for the experiment.
Unfortunately by virtue of the fact that I wrote it the program is pretty dumb. It is, after all, just trigonometry. You do however pose a very interesting question in as much as it seems like you are asking about the sensitivity to adjustment about a given operating point.

I bought a $30 front for a flip bike. 1/2 the spokes were proper tension and 1/2 were "about" 1/2 proper tension. They were alternating, but I don't remember the exact sequence. I believe it was simply inadequate machine truing/tensioning.

Maybe a $50 wheel gets an extra pass through the truing/tensioning cycle and shows less difference, but still alternating? It seems quite plausible to me.
Which is also interesting in respect of sensitivity because the machine must incorporate some sort of feedback or goal seeking algorithm in order to determine whether it has reached the 'right' answer. Fine... there may be many 'right' answers but which one is optimum and what is the machine measuring in order to arrive at its goal?

Once again, irrespective of the levels of hate, I am going to state, based on an intuitive guess, that the optimum result, assuming perfection, will be when the spokes have their relative tensions set to match the ratio of their angles in the target, trued, solution.

I guess I need to set up a model and work out how to analyse it but for the moment I will go out on the usual limb and suggest that the result will be an Inverse Bell Curve with minimum sensitivity at the point where the match described above is achieved. I'll go further and suggest that if it is a minimum sensitivity solution then that will have an impact on the overall fatigue experienced by the wheel/spokes over time.
Old 01-29-18, 06:10 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2506 Post(s)
Liked 2,986 Times in 1,693 Posts
I don't think anyone here has mentioned The Bicycle Wheel, published some years ago by the late Jobst Brandt. The mathematics-based arguments presented in the book by Brandt, who honed the relevant skills while working as an engineer for Porsche, are far over my head, but chorlton and others participating in the thread might get a kick out of looking at the work, if they're not already familiar with it.