Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Ask the Community

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Ask the Community

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-18, 10:41 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
If that's what happened, I'll eat my own head.
It's not a coincidence that both things happened at exactly the same time. What are the alternatives, for the same event to cause both a chain derailing and a broken spoke?

The chain was so loose that when he hit a pothole really hard and broke the spoke, the shock also knocked the chain off. Or - Some very solid object, a bolt or something like that, flew into the chain in front of the cog somehow, bound against the spoke and the leverage was enough to both break the spoke and wedge the chain off. I tried that with a pencil and it's possible, it does bind on a spoke. But these two are so unlikely that his idea that the broken spoke derailed the chain is probably the answer.
Old 05-26-18, 11:58 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Over-thinkers usually miss the most obvious things. My guess is that the chain derailed to the inside of the cog and the spoke was broken when it made contact.
Old 05-26-18, 12:49 PM
WesleeC

Bikes: State 4130 Matte Black 6, Artic White Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just wondering if there's some kind of list of desirable frames to keep an eye out for on Craigslist and the like. I know personal preference plays a big part, but what are some quality frames you would snatch up if the price was right? Also what should be avoided? Anything that's an obvious red flag? Thanks
Old 05-26-18, 01:03 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by WesleeC
Anything that's an obvious red flag?
Two things to avoid:
1) Anything described as a "sweet fixie" on CL.

B) Anything else on CL.

-Bandera
Old 05-26-18, 01:22 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked 766 Times in 432 Posts
Over-thinkers usually miss the most obvious things. My guess is that the chain derailed to the inside of the cog and the spoke was broken when it made contact.
How about a rift in hyperspace that caused a distortion of the space-time continuum, resulting in a temporary dimensional change in the chain and spoke positional relationship, which caused an instability that dropped the chain and broke the spoke ?

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 05-26-18, 03:32 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
The herd mentality is strong here.
Old 05-26-18, 11:42 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 2694 Post(s)
Liked 3,247 Times in 1,706 Posts
I think CL is fine if you know what you're looking for and have some discretion from experience
Old 05-27-18, 03:43 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Yeah, I don't go to CL looking for specific stuff, but I'll browse it just to see what's around. It's like the internet's thrift shop.
Old 05-27-18, 02:30 PM
groovestew

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
My guess is that the chain derailed to the inside of the cog and the spoke was broken when it made contact.
This is less likely than my scenario, IMHO. The chainline is dead straight, the chain wasn't loose, and the chain and cog are both fairly new and in good condition. Throwing the chain without a lateral external force seems really unlikely. Also, to lend further credence to my theory, when I was walking my bike in the garage, the back wheel suddenly started dragging, because the broken spoke got caught between the chain and cog. Anyway, I have a wheel to repair.
Old 05-27-18, 09:34 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by groovestew
This is less likely than my scenario, IMHO. The chainline is dead straight, the chain wasn't loose, and the chain and cog are both fairly new and in good condition. Throwing the chain without a lateral external force seems really unlikely. Also, to lend further credence to my theory, when I was walking my bike in the garage, the back wheel suddenly started dragging, because the broken spoke got caught between the chain and cog. Anyway, I have a wheel to repair.
I don't think his theory is even possible. Whether that's over or under-thinking it, I couldn't say. Good luck with your repair.
Old 05-27-18, 10:17 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Really? Because I replaced two broken spokes and one nearly broken spoke on a customer's wheel a few weeks ago and that's exactly what he said happened.

Maybe he just made up that story because he didn't want to say how a bolt or some other hard object magically appeared and flew into the chain in front of the cog.
Old 05-28-18, 03:58 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by WesleeC
Just wondering if there's some kind of list of desirable frames to keep an eye out for on Craigslist and the like. I know personal preference plays a big part, but what are some quality frames you would snatch up if the price was right? Also what should be avoided? Anything that's an obvious red flag? Thanks
Granted, people are looking for different levels of quality, fancy-ness, aesthetics, and so forth. Here's what I look for.

1. Horizontal dropouts or track ends

2. Prefer steel, so I can mess around with the dropout spacing, and take care of minor alignment issues if needed

3. Avoid irreparable damage of course, such as bikes that have been obviously crashed and bent

4. A frame that comes with a usable seatpost is a benefit, since there's no standardization of seatpost sizes and it's hard to measure a frame for the correct post. Make sure that you can loosen and adjust the seatpost, because a stuck post is a nightmare

5. In general, the more usable / desirable parts on the frame, the fewer that you have to buy, at least right away. A nice cotterless crank that can be disassembled and fit with different chainrings is a plus.

6. Clearance for wider tires, if that's your preference

7. Bring a tape measure, so you can confirm the dimensions per your preferences

I believe that a lot of 1980s bikes had similar quality lugged steel frames that are good enough for building into a decent single speed bike: Schwinn, Raleigh, Fuji and the Japanese brands in general. If they weren't all made in the same factory, they might as well have been. I don't tend to look at bikes that carry a brand premium, because the sellers want too much for them. Trek comes to mind in my area.
Old 05-28-18, 08:22 PM
WesleeC

Bikes: State 4130 Matte Black 6, Artic White Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Granted, people are looking for different levels of quality, fancy-ness, aesthetics, and so forth. Here's what I look for.

1. Horizontal dropouts or track ends

2. Prefer steel, so I can mess around with the dropout spacing, and take care of minor alignment issues if needed

3. Avoid irreparable damage of course, such as bikes that have been obviously crashed and bent

4. A frame that comes with a usable seatpost is a benefit, since there's no standardization of seatpost sizes and it's hard to measure a frame for the correct post. Make sure that you can loosen and adjust the seatpost, because a stuck post is a nightmare

5. In general, the more usable / desirable parts on the frame, the fewer that you have to buy, at least right away. A nice cotterless crank that can be disassembled and fit with different chainrings is a plus.

6. Clearance for wider tires, if that's your preference

7. Bring a tape measure, so you can confirm the dimensions per your preferences

I believe that a lot of 1980s bikes had similar quality lugged steel frames that are good enough for building into a decent single speed bike: Schwinn, Raleigh, Fuji and the Japanese brands in general. If they weren't all made in the same factory, they might as well have been. I don't tend to look at bikes that carry a brand premium, because the sellers want too much for them. Trek comes to mind in my area.
Thank you sir. This is what I was looking for!
Old 07-11-18, 04:27 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Will a standard lock ring tool, such as this one:

Shimano chain whip and lock ring tool

work on a Phil Wood 6-notch lock ring? I see a special tool for the Phil that mimics a cog, so you can loosen the lock ring using a chain whip. I don't want to buy something that specialized if I don't have to.

Don't ask me how I've been loosening my lock rings. You will cringe.
Old 07-11-18, 05:19 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked 766 Times in 432 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon

work on a Phil Wood 6-notch lock ring? I see a special tool for the Phil that mimics a cog, so you can loosen the lock ring using a chain whip. I don't want to buy something that specialized if I don't have to.

Instead of that, get one of these >>> https://www.retro-gression.com/colle...ockring-pliers

Same price, and will work with anything. It is much more secure, and will not slip or damage your lockring, not to mention your knuckles.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 07-12-18, 05:45 AM
hardboiled718

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

I have that tool and it's served me well for a while. I know the Hozan lock ring pliers get a lot of love and I'm sure they're great but the nice thing about the TL-SR22 is the added chain whip so you can remove lock rings and also cogs with one tool.

Just curious, how were you removing lock rings w/o a lock ring tool before? Couldn't be worse than a flat head screwdriver and hammer.
Old 07-12-18, 11:42 AM
hay
tumbleweed

Bikes: stumpy,bianchi,Wabi classic

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Im betting either pipe wrench or channel locks.
Old 07-12-18, 06:26 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by hardboiled718
I have that tool and it's served me well for a while. I know the Hozan lock ring pliers get a lot of love and I'm sure they're great but the nice thing about the TL-SR22 is the added chain whip so you can remove lock rings and also cogs with one tool.
That's exactly why I like the combination tool. The Hozan pliers seem like a great tool, but they're 45 bux. For that same money, I could get the Shimano lock ring tool + chain whip. I've got a 3/32" chain whip, but not a 1/8". For the cogs, I've been getting by with a scrap of 1/8" chain clamped in a vice.

Just curious, how were you removing lock rings w/o a lock ring tool before? Couldn't be worse than a flat head screwdriver and hammer.
Certainly not! I'm not a Neanderthal. I use a proper pin punch and hammer. (Relax--I support the axle on wood blocks, so the spokes and rim aren't taking the force of my hammer blows.) I warned you not to ask.

Last edited by Broctoon; 07-12-18 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-12-18, 06:29 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by hay
Only when I can't find my hammer. Big plumbing tools are an adequate substitute for striking the punch. (See my last post.)

Last edited by Broctoon; 07-12-18 at 06:36 PM.
Old 07-12-18, 07:05 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by hay
Speaking of which, I've been meaning to repurpose one of my old channel locks into a lockring plier by grinding the jaws down.
Old 07-12-18, 07:52 PM
hardboiled718

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
That's exactly why I like the combination tool. The Hozan pliers seem like a great tool, but they're 45 bux. For that same money, I could get the Shimano lock ring tool + chain whip. I've got a 3/32" chain whip, but not a 1/8". For the cogs, I've been getting by with a scrap of 1/8" chain clamped in a vice.

Certainly not! I'm not a Neanderthal. I use a proper pin punch and hammer. (Relax--I support the axle on wood blocks, so the spokes and rim aren't taking the force of my hammer blows.) I warned you not to ask.
crude but effective i guess, still cringe worthy. I'm sure the wheel would be fine assuming you're not removing the lock ring like that on a regular basis. I'd be more worried about the lock ring itself. Make sure the pin punch hasn't deformed the notch in the lock ring or else there's a higher chance the hook form a proper lock ring tool will slip out stripping the lock ring.
Old 07-12-18, 11:18 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

crude but effective i guess.
A phrase that has often been used to describe my way of doing things, in the garage, at my job... in the bedroom...
Old 07-13-18, 12:15 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3605 Post(s)
Liked 3,431 Times in 1,951 Posts
Originally Posted by hairnet
Speaking of which, I've been meaning to repurpose one of my old channel locks into a lockring plier by grinding the jaws down.
Easily done:

DIY Lockring Pliers
Old 07-13-18, 02:59 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Easily done:

DIY Lockring Pliers
Exactly! I also want to make a couple for my co-op because all our lockring wrenches are damaged, but it's only worth it if I can source several channel locks for cheap. Gotta hit the flee markets
Old 07-13-18, 04:08 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
The modified Channelock looks pretty good.

Maybe a cheap Harbor Freight or Northern Tool pair would do the trick.

-Tim-

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.