Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Where to buy SRAM groupsets

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Where to buy SRAM groupsets

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-16, 07:16 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
So 2X$300=$600. There should be a way to invest only a small part of that to get the group relayed to you by someone in another country that Ribble, Wiggle or Merlin still ships SRAM to. Maybe a "friend" from BF would do it for you.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 11-03-16, 09:17 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by HazeT
Ribble has the complete Force 22 listed for: $566.99, so ~300.
Not in stock though.

I was basing the $250 number of Merlin's quoted $600 price tag. Of course, if they don't ship it to you, it's all moot.
Old 11-07-16, 07:22 AM
quicktrigger

Bikes: Allez/Motobecane 427HT & Ti/Soma Custom Build

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
If anything, the other brands will probably start doing the same.
Not likely. If Shimano is dumb enough to do this, then MicroShift kills them both especially on the bread and butter lower to kid-levels. Then you got FSA, Box, and others entering the market as well, including one promising electronic shifting on all groupsets for ~$400. Then add to that Campy is not going to follow as I'm sure they would love to add market share. DUMB move by SRAM.
Old 11-07-16, 07:27 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
I would think that Shimano's main source of revenue is pretty much every bike manufacturer out there using them for their stock bikes, not BF dwellers buying groupsets from abroad. Microshift won't be killing anyone.
Old 11-07-16, 10:25 AM
quicktrigger

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Ah, I was talking about in that market to begin with, and you make exactly the point that Shimano won't be following SRAM in this dumb move. OEM's are where they make the real profits, and they have no concern over the excess, because they still got paid. So this market is not important to Shimano, in which case there is no incentive for them to follow SRAM, or it's a market of concern, in which case Shimano can't follow SRAM as it opens things up for many other players. Oh, and how conveniently you ignore Campy, and everybody else.

So which is it? You can't pick and choose like you are trying to do. It's a dumb move by SRAM, that's all there is to it.
Old 11-07-16, 10:36 AM
PepeM

I am not 'picking and choosing' anything. Also, I don't know what will actually happen, what with me not working for Shimano and everything. As to whether it is a 'dumb move' by Sram, I do not know, but I do trust the people that managed to build a very succesful company to know better how to run said company over some bitter person on the internet, but we'll have to wait for time to show whether they were right or wrong.

My comment on other companies following suit has more to do with the following: I think (but I do not know as I do not work in the cycling industry) that the current policies where people can buy stuff from abroad for less and bypass the local sources can't be too good for the relationship between the company and their partners within the country: distributors, bike shops, manufacturers, etc. More and more companies are not allowing this to happen anymore (of the top of my head Mavic, Tacx, Sidi, Sram. Pretty sure there are many others.) Hence, it wouldn't surprise me if other companies (such as Shimano) follow suit. Don't get me wrong, I don't like it; I like cheap stuff as much as anyone else out there. It just doesn't make much sense to me business-wise. I am certainly no business expert though and maybe this will be the demise of Sram et al. Doesn't matter much to me either way to be honest, so if I turn out to be 'wrong' I won't lose sleep over it.
Old 11-07-16, 12:53 PM
quicktrigger

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
I am not 'picking and choosing' anything. Also, I don't know what will actually happen, what with me not working for Shimano and everything. As to whether it is a 'dumb move' by Sram, I do not know, but I do trust the people that managed to build a very succesful company to know better how to run said company over some bitter person on the internet, but we'll have to wait for time to show whether they were right or wrong.

My comment on other companies following suit has more to do with the following: I think (but I do not know as I do not work in the cycling industry) that the current policies where people can buy stuff from abroad for less and bypass the local sources can't be too good for the relationship between the company and their partners within the country: distributors, bike shops, manufacturers, etc. More and more companies are not allowing this to happen anymore (of the top of my head Mavic, Tacx, Sidi, Sram. Pretty sure there are many others.) Hence, it wouldn't surprise me if other companies (such as Shimano) follow suit. Don't get me wrong, I don't like it; I like cheap stuff as much as anyone else out there. It just doesn't make much sense to me business-wise. I am certainly no business expert though and maybe this will be the demise of Sram et al. Doesn't matter much to me either way to be honest, so if I turn out to be 'wrong' I won't lose sleep over it.
Personal attack=white flag of surrender!!!
Old 11-07-16, 01:17 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by quicktrigger
Oh, and how conveniently you ignore everything else.
Old 11-07-16, 01:18 PM
PepeM

Originally Posted by quicktrigger

Alright then.
Old 11-07-16, 01:51 PM
quicktrigger

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Oh, and how conveniently you ignore everything else.
Bother to read the entire thread, and see what you think.

HINT: Why would Shimano help SRAM?
Old 11-07-16, 01:55 PM
quicktrigger

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
BTW, if you think people won't continue to bypass, then all one has to do is look to how much is already being directly shipped from China. Think they are going to play along with the price gouging games? Remember, most of this stuff is made there anyway.
Old 11-08-16, 10:00 AM
ljp3

Bikes: CDale Synapse Hi-Mod 3, Bianchi Oltre XR.1, Giant Anthem Advanced 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HazeT
You are being sarcastic right?
I have never bought from them, are they bad?
Old 11-09-16, 08:58 PM
HazeT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ljp3
I have never bought from them, are they bad?
Expensive (Regular US price thought)... Their Force 22 price is as high as a Red 22 from Ribble/Merlin.
But, it seems that you can still buy from Ribble/Merlin. I just bought a mix componentry from the two without problems. For some reason Merlin blocked the shipping when trying to order from work but let it go through from home.

Ordered as follows:
Merlin
Red 22 Crankset
Red 22 Shifters
Red 22 Brakes
Ribble
Force 22 Front & Rear Derailleurs
Force 22 cassette
Wipperman Connex 11sp chain

Both went through and I already got all the tracking numbers from merlin.
Old 11-09-16, 09:13 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Alright, screw SRAM then. Has anyone been shopping Shimano on the UK sites? Any good leads on DA 9000 or 9100? I waited to save up some cash and their prices went up a few weeks ago.