Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fuji bikes?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Fuji bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-17, 02:49 PM
raria

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fuji bikes?

I get a lot of questions along the lines of "How good are Fuji bikes" and I really don't have an answer. Comments? I guess their lineup is of variable quality so which Fuji models are worth considering.

I suspect that since Nashbar sells them cheaply they popular but you don't read much about them.

This bike for instance Fuji SL 2.5 Road Bike - Nashbar seems great. A C10 CF frameset, full carbon fork etc for $999 sounds great, but its hard to get any details. Is this the same frame as the SL 2.1 whose weight is supposedly 800 grams?
Old 12-04-17, 03:04 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
They have been around forever.
They typically do not have the very highest end bikes, but are an excellent value.
So site/model unseen I'd think a $3,000 Fuji to be a better bike than a $3,000 <Big name brand here>. But the <Big name brand here> may be better at the top for a higher price.

They are the general purpose frame the US Air Force Academy uses for road. We built several (5) for the team bikes for the road.
I can't comment on specific model having not ridden them (except in the 1970s...).

I think your link for $1,000 is good deal.
Look at real price, not retail. No way is this a $9K bike. It is a good value at the listed price.
https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...0052_604014_-1

Last edited by Doge; 12-04-17 at 03:43 PM.
Old 12-04-17, 03:10 PM
Laurido92

Bikes: 2019 Pinarello Prince FX 2021 Pinarello Prince Disk Canyon Grizl CF SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think Fuji are great bikes. I'm on my third one and it love them. I think they are a great bang for the buck. You usually get higher end components for less money. Yes, most come with Oval brand components as well but all bike manufacturers use their own "in house" brand on their bikes. The bike you are referring to is a step "below" mine. The frame is the same C-10 carbon with a FC-440 fork. Mine came with Ultegra brifters, front and rear derailleurs, 105 cassette, and brakes. The same Oval wheels, cranks, seat, seat post, stem, and handlebar. When I was looking for my first road bike I looked at the usual mikes (Trek, Specialized, Cannondale) and none would have the components that I got with my Fuji. They would be one to two models below what I got in my Fuji for the same or more money.

I think $999 for that bike is a great price. That model used to be a Performance Exclusive but now has moved to Nashbar which is owned by Performance Bike. Their forever guarantee can't be beat. As long as they have your size I would go for it.

Good luck.
Old 12-04-17, 03:22 PM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My MTB is a Fuji and wont die despite being around for 13 years. During that time I have torn a Crank Bros Candy C pedal spindle off with the threads still in the crank, ripped the rear derailleur off, and blown up the original Alex wheels. Yet the frame is still in top notch condition.
Old 12-04-17, 04:10 PM
lyrictenor1

Bikes: 2016 Fuji SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fuji makes some very good bikes at a great value (see the upper end of the SL, Transonic, Supreme, lines, among others). The SL, and to a slightly lesser extent, the Transonic, have been reviewed pretty well by several bike publications; just do a google search for the reviews.

I may be biased as I have owned several Fujis (including an SL 2.5 frameset, an SST, and a Fuji Cross), and find them to be great rides.

Btw, the Oval Concepts components run the gamut of quality: The lower end stuff is what one would expect on a budget build; the upper end stuff is pretty good (especially the Oval 733 and 724 wheelsets). The Oval Concepts cranksets with the Praxis chainrings are very good and stiff, if not a little bit heavier than Ultegra-level cranks.
Old 12-04-17, 04:20 PM
lyrictenor1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by raria
I get a lot of questions along the lines of "How good are Fuji bikes" and I really don't have an answer. Comments? I guess their lineup is of variable quality so which Fuji models are worth considering.

I suspect that since Nashbar sells them cheaply they popular but you don't read much about them.

This bike for instance Fuji SL 2.5 Road Bike - Nashbar seems great. A C10 CF frameset, full carbon fork etc for $999 sounds great, but its hard to get any details. Is this the same frame as the SL 2.1 whose weight is supposedly 800 grams?

The SL in your link is excellent. I have the same frameset (ended upgrading most of the components from an ultegra bike I already had), and it's very responive.
Attached Images
Old 12-04-17, 08:16 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 370 Posts
They are owned by the same company that owns Breezer, so....
Old 12-04-17, 08:20 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
I believe Fuji's model numbering is such that all bikes with the same model digit share the same frame, while the decimal indicates component quality (lower the number, better components).
So 2.5, 2.3, 2.1 will all share the same frameset, but with progressively better components (groupset, wheelset, etc).
Old 12-04-17, 08:41 PM
Smithson1

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fuji Bikes | 2016 SL 2.5 | Bike Archives
Old 12-04-17, 08:57 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,083 Times in 1,180 Posts
I have a 1991 Fuji Professional steel framed mt. bike, still ride it, great bike. Light, and fast, welded Prestige tubing.

It was built in the era before suspension forks, so the handling is a bit slow with the Rock Shock I have on it. I used an Alsop suspension stem for years.

The company is a big conglomerate now, Kestral, etc....I’m certain the carbon is generic Chinese, but good value bikes.
Old 12-04-17, 09:25 PM
lyrictenor1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Steve B.
I’m certain the carbon is generic Chinese.
Incorrect.
Old 12-05-17, 12:37 AM
yamsyamsyams

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 20 Posts
Purchased the Fuji SL Elite and the thing is a weightweenie race rocket. Very stealthy too without the external bling factor, and love that it allows for a ton of customization with their standard sizing for everything.
Old 12-05-17, 01:02 AM
helmet4000

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 14 Posts
I got a Black Friday deal on Fuji SL 2.5

$999 plus $300 in store credit from performance...black friday deal

upgraded wheelset to RS500 + tires to michelin service pro4 25mm

I love my Trek Emonda ALR 5, but this is great backup bike. Climbs very well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
wvh.jpg (122.0 KB, 433 views)
Old 12-05-17, 12:57 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by lyrictenor1
Incorrect.
What are you saying ?. Are Fuji’s put thru the same engineering and testing as say a Specialized or Trek, Scott, etc.... ?

If so how do they sell them so cheap, or is it beceause the more expensive frames are just way overpriced ?.

Please educate us.
Old 12-05-17, 01:05 PM
lyrictenor1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What are you saying ?. Are Fuji’s put thru the same engineering and testing as say a Specialized or Trek, Scott, etc.... ?

If so how do they sell them so cheap, or is it beceause the more expensive frames are just way overpriced ?.

Please educate us.
Sorry sir, but you are the one who made the first strong claim as to what Fuji's carbon frames are, so the burden of proof lies with you.
Old 12-05-17, 01:28 PM
BigPoser

Bikes: BAHL Giro, BAHL Uno, BAHL GVL, Cuevas

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by yamsyamsyams
Purchased the Fuji SL Elite and the thing is a weightweenie race rocket. Very stealthy too without the external bling factor, and love that it allows for a ton of customization with their standard sizing for everything.

I also have the SL Elite frameset that I built and it absolutely rips! With pedals and PM, she weighs in at a cool 14.7lbs. LOOOVE my Fuji!
Old 12-05-17, 01:29 PM
BigPoser

I believe this is likely the answer you are looking for.
Old 12-05-17, 01:33 PM
raria

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BigPoser
I also have the SL Elite frameset that I built and it absolutely rips! With pedals and PM, she weighs in at a cool 14.7lbs. LOOOVE my Fuji!
Now that frame is a very racy frame right? It's not an endurance frameset is it?
Old 12-05-17, 02:03 PM
BigPoser

Now that frame is a very racy frame right? It's not an endurance frameset is it?
Yes, it certainly isn't an endurance frame, but I've done 100 miles on it before and it didn't hurt.
Old 12-05-17, 02:38 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by lyrictenor1
Sorry sir, but you are the one who made the first strong claim as to what Fuji's carbon frames are, so the burden of proof lies with you.
No point. I happen to like Fuji bikes, would have no qualms about buying a frame. But then I ride one of those awful Chinese open molds, so don't trust my judgement.
Old 12-05-17, 02:47 PM
raria

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by atwl77
I believe Fuji's model numbering is such that all bikes with the same model digit share the same frame, while the decimal indicates component quality (lower the number, better components).
So 2.5, 2.3, 2.1 will all share the same frameset, but with progressively better components (groupset, wheelset, etc).
Ah thank you that is most helpful.

But there are still issues that confuse me.

1) I think Fuji do themselves a big dis-service by having so many model variations. I was looking at the Fuji Gran Fondo but there is also a Gran Fondo Classique and even a Gran Fondo CL! Why do they have so many "groups" of the same frameset or perhaps it isn't the same frameset?

2) The use of their inhouse oval concept brand confuses me. I understand the differences in Shimano's line up of say cranksets, but not the oval concept brand. Is there a nice write up on the performance and characteristics of the oval conccept brand parts that come with Fujis?
Old 12-05-17, 02:59 PM
asiantrick

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ah thank you that is most helpful.

But there are still issues that confuse me.

2) The use of their inhouse oval concept brand confuses me. I understand the differences in Shimano's line up of say cranksets, but not the oval concept brand. Is there a nice write up on the performance and characteristics of the oval conccept brand parts that come with Fujis?
Performance is on par with other brand, plus big name companies all have their own in-house brand.

Scott Bike - SYNCROS
Cannondale - Cannondale
Trek - Bontrager
Giant - Giant
Old 12-05-17, 07:11 PM
CyciumX
Gimme back my gears!

Bikes: Cannondale Caad9-5 2009, Scattante XLR TT 2009, Trek Y-Foil 77 1998

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fuji is....

usually the best performance for money you can get. Sorry, not sorry.

You can pay more for more. You can pay more for the same and you can pay less for considerably less.

Most folks don't realize the design and engineering they did to make the top tube on my frame triangular - the limited flex and superior stiffness, but still forgiving to vibration on the SST is top-tier and pics do not do it justice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bzizvzys5e8z.jpg (916.9 KB, 358 views)
Old 12-05-17, 07:47 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
A brochure from a couple of years ago said they have been around for 100 years. One of the close LBS sells Fuji. Most of my friends have Fujis. I have two and have owned three. I also worked at the shop a few years ago. Every time I compared prices it seemed like they were always less expensive when compared to a similarly equipped other brand. Around $100 cheaper most of the time. I ride my 2003 Roubaix on a century about every other week. I do centuries every week on different bikes, I get a lot of chance to compare similar bikes on the same route. My 105 10 speed Roubaix is my most comfortable century bike. I did upgrade the stock wheels to Ksyriums. And it's faster than the 21 lb weight would lead you to believe. Pretty close to my 18 lb Litespeed. I have recommended Fujis to friends, they are all happy.

Last edited by 2manybikes; 12-05-17 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-05-17, 09:19 PM
doctor j

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
My first modern-day road bike was a Fuji aluminum. Still rolling just fine after 30,000 miles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.