Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

What kind of rack do you use to transport your 'Cross bike?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-11, 12:34 PM
david58

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am shopping for a bike rack for my wife and me - we both have 'cross bikes. With the cables running down the top of the top tube, I am concerned about how to secure the bike. Just a bit paranoid maybe, but not wanting to damage or tweak the bike just by racking it up for transport.

The second bit of the quandry is that I drive an Isuzu Trooper, which has the nice big wide spare on the back. Any wisdom there in which racks you have found that work would be appreciated, too.
Old 08-29-11, 07:15 PM
Yotsko

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you have a hitch the yakima standup or something equivalent would work..grabs the wheels instead of the frame if thats what you're worried about. I can't imagine a rack would do much damage to the cables though, so long as you make sure not to crimp them.
Old 08-29-11, 09:02 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
I had a Jeep Cherokee with a hitch mounted rack that worked really well. Most SUV's are too tall for roof racks, at least for me. The added bonus was that it doubled as a bike stand at races.
Old 08-29-11, 09:32 PM
holychipotle

Bikes: Ridley X-fire (Chris King tubies/Rival), Specialized Tarmac (Zipps/Dura-ace)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Roof rack it! So easy, access to the trunk and it looks cool. Watch those garage doors and drive thru's tho!

If you have factory bars on that thing, the THULE Domestique works mighty fine
Old 08-29-11, 09:35 PM
scrub

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last season I just chucked everything in the back of the hatchback, threw an old shower curtain down for the mud. This year I have a B bike and really haven't figured anything out. Might have to snag the wife's van
Old 08-30-11, 10:42 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Cynikal
I had a Jeep Cherokee with a hitch mounted rack that worked really well. Most SUV's are too tall for roof racks, at least for me. The added bonus was that it doubled as a bike stand at races.
I've also got a Jeep XJ. I have a hitch mount 4-bike Thule folding rack. The cradles have cable cutouts so you don't go messing everything up, and there's a seat-tube stabilizer cradle to keep the bikes from swinging.

On a related side note: The Thule hitch mount racks are great armour against being rear-ended. Someone plowed into me at 35mph at a stop sign. Totally ruined the front end of their Forester, put a couple of paint scratches on my rear bumper and bent up the rack a bit. (Thankfully, there were no bikes on the rack at the time!)