Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

To front rack, or not to front rack...

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-15, 01:57 PM
mcallaghan

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Merlin Titanium Road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

...that is the question.

I have a Surly Disc Trucker. I have a rear rack and panniers. Perfect for B&B/Hotel touring.

This coming summer I am planning on camping-touring. I imagine I can fit my tent, sleeping pad and sleeping bag on top of the rack. But cooking utensils/food probably aren't going to fit in the room I have left in my rear panniers.

From what I have seen, installing front racks on Surly Disc Truckers is far from easy, given the disc brakes (mainly) being in the way. I am not very mechanical minded so finding a solution isn't going to happen.

Are there any racks specifically designed for the SDT? Should I have some one in the LBS install for me?
Old 12-14-15, 02:28 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Front pannier rack and 2 small panniers should be sufficient.. Yes , Use the services of a Bike Shop for the Mechanical skills You Lack ..

The mechanicak theory is to have the pannier rack a Littyle wider If there is some Interference with the brake caliper ..

Longer Quality steel bolts and spacers is the way they can be made wider ..

Several Riders crossed the country on disc braked bikes Tubus Duo was a Popular front rack , tubus - Duo
as would be the Tara tubus - Tara
I have a Tubus Ergo tubus - Ergo

on this Bike WB Bicycle Gallery: Robert Clark's Koga Miyata WTR

The manufacturer re machined the fork to make it work , Bike was Bought Used
I Would have been fine with a rigid fork of steel like Surly uses.

While at the Bike shop Maybe they can offer lessons on how to fix things you may have problems with on tours

where you have to be Independent in mechanical Problem solving..
Old 12-14-15, 02:37 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,496 Times in 4,192 Posts
A Surly rack for a Surly bike.
Cargo | Parts and Accessories | Surly Bikes
Old 12-14-15, 02:40 PM
mm718

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would stick with 2 panniers. Adding a rack and a second pair of panniers adds about 4.5 lbs and encourages over packing.

You can fit your tent and down sleeping bag or quilt in a single compression dry sack on the rear rack. The down bag should be in it's own lightweight bag to protect it from moisture from your tent for those times when you pack it wet. Alternatively you could pack your sleeping bag in a pannier in a compression sack.

Your "kitchen" doesn't need to take up much more room than a small pot with the fuel packed inside. You can eat out of the pot, which makes for fewer dishes. Using a pot cozy makes it easier to eat out of the pot and also saves fuel as you don't have to cook your food as long. I haven't found a cup necessary but there are collapsible cups should you want one. A knife, spork, small stove, and foldable windscreen should round out your kitchen. Depending on your choices these can all pack away very small.

The other area to reduce pannier volume is clothes. You don't need multiple jerseys and shorts. They can be washed nightly. Some people like to have a second set but you could get by fine without them. I tour with one set of wool riding socks and a second set of long socks if the first set gets wet or it gets cold. I don't find underwear necessary but you could bring a lightweight pair for off the bike. Just my two cents on making it all work with two panniers. Others can help with rack ideas should you decide to go that route.

Last edited by mm718; 12-14-15 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-14-15, 02:43 PM
mdilthey

Bikes: Nature Boy 853 Disc, Pugsley SS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Also, any front rack that mounts to the mid-blade eyelets (I.E. Higher Up) will not interfere with disc brakes.

Remember, your disc brake is BEHIND the fork and your rack mount is in FRONT of the fork. I am hard-pressed to imagine a rack that would interfere with a disc brake.

Racktime Topit mounted to Surly Disc Trucker Fork:

Old 12-14-15, 03:14 PM
Biketouringhobo
Banned.

Bikes: Surly LHT 26in 52cm 2008

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tubus Tara Front Rack on Surly DT

the Tubus Tara front rack on a Surly Dick Trucker
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
sdtdsc01876-large.jpg (109.6 KB, 87 views)
Old 12-14-15, 03:21 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 4,002 Times in 2,671 Posts
I cannot speak for your needs but distributing the load is a good way to go. I find having all the weight in the rear makes for a less stable bike sometimes especially when not on it (when on it I don't mind it as much)

As far as racks I highly recommend Tubus. Their racks are some of the best and the Cargo Evo and Duo racks I got weighed a little less than my one Surly rear rack (which is a good HQ rack with no problems aside from the weight). For something like a DT which I have I would go with the Tubus Duo rack. Basically it is two separate racks one for each side of the fork unlike other which have hoops connecting them this is two pieces. I think it looks nicer and cuts out weight but the rack is still just as strong. There were no fitment issues with the rack aside from needing some spacers (which is common) which were easily gotten from the presta/schrader valve cap and nut drawer at the shop.

You might be able to order through your LBS (and always check with them first) if not Peter White at Peter White Cycles is pretty awesome and extremely knowledgeable about many things bike related and has a good sense of humor.

You can install it yourself but sometimes having someone help out isn't a bad thing. Just make sure like with all parts that are metal on metal contact you either grease the threads or you can use a threadlocker (like a blue loctite) and make sure everything is properly tight. If it is a decent bike shop they should be able to install it no problem if you don't want to go through the hassle or just want it professionally done.
Old 12-14-15, 03:22 PM
Fairmount

Bikes: Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Perhaps you could add some sort of larger handlebar bag to your rear pannier setup. Those strange ultralight people do have some interesting things going on in that department. My brother carries a bunch of stuff and a tent, all hanging from his handlebars. What you don't want is ALL your weight being on your rear wheel. I did a month of touring like that in central Europe once, no good! Biking about in the mountains I always felt like I would tip over backwards.
Old 12-14-15, 03:35 PM
mm718

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I cannot speak for your needs but distributing the load is a good way to go. I find having all the weight in the rear makes for a less stable bike sometimes especially when not on it (when on it I don't mind it as much)
I don't doubt your experience but with my load I haven't had this issue. The bike is fine leaning against store fronts, etc using "brake bands" and when there is nothing around to lean it against I use the click-stand. No issues with stability when the bike is parked although maybe it is an issue with some traditional kickstands or heavy loads.
Old 12-14-15, 03:49 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by Fairmount
Perhaps you could add some sort of larger handlebar bag to your rear pannier setup. Those strange ultralight people do have some interesting things going on in that department. My brother carries a bunch of stuff and a tent, all hanging from his handlebars. What you don't want is ALL your weight being on your rear wheel. I did a month of touring like that in central Europe once, no good! Biking about in the mountains I always felt like I would tip over backwards.
A good size handlebar bag was going to be my suggestion also. I also found that a large selection of clothing was not at all necessary. I'm not an ultra light packer but do give considerable thought to packing as light as possible. Also, I give thought to bulky items, such as clothes, which then require a place to store them.
Old 12-14-15, 04:03 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
What is your total planned weight? If your total weight excluding consumables (food, water, fuel) is 20 pounds or less, it really doesn't matter where you put it. It sounds like you're more concerned about pack space, and that issue is covered well in post #4 , addressing clothing and cook kit. One tip I live by is that you should be able to wear all your clothing at once as a coordinated system. When I reduced my cook kit, that was one front pack gone. The other front pack used to carry a fairly large double wall tent. Now I use a Tarptent and I no longer need any front packs.

Another great space saver was switching to a down quilt. With the smaller quilt, and fewer and less bulky clothing items, everything fits easily in a pair of panniers.
Old 12-14-15, 04:19 PM
mantelclock
Senior Moment

Bikes: Velo Orange Campeur, 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
You certainly can make due with just a rear rack and panniers. You might want to add a handlebar bag as well. When discussing distribution of weight and instability, it depends on the construction and geometry of the bike. I tried a short tour using only a rear rack and panniers on a Specialized Sequoia, a very light aluminum framed bike with Carbon fork and short chainstays. This configuration was ridiculously unstable at any speed, because all of the weight was behind the rear axle. The same equipment and configuration on my all steel VO Campeur or Motobecane Grand Touring (vintage, not the new ones) always worked out fine. With a tank like the LHT loading everything on the rear shouldn't be a problem, as long as your total luggage weight doesn't exceed about 25 - 30 pounds. More than that, then it makes sense to spread some of your weight to the front.
Old 12-14-15, 04:30 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
Pile up all your gear. Try to get it in the rear panniers. The remaining stuff, will that all fit in whatever you were going to put on top of the rear rack or in a saddle bag? If not, will a handlebag be adequate to hold it? If not, you need front panniers.

A friend of mine always does the ultra light thing as much as he can. We did almost 900 miles on Pacific Coast and every time we came out of a grocery store, he only had maybe 2 liters of spare volume in his two rear panniers and small drybag on top of the rear rack. There were a few times I had to carry 10 times as much food volume as him because he never thought that hard about food when planning for volume capacity for the trip. Do you want to be the one person in the group that everybody stares at when you come out of the grocery store?

I have done the rear only thing and I have also done the four pannier trips. You don't know what you need until you start packing. You can put stuff in a box, measure how many cubic inches in the box (height times width times length), convert to liters (type in google convert 960 cubic inches to liters) and you know where you need to be.
Old 12-14-15, 05:01 PM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Also keep in mind what time of year, weather etc. It's 35 F and light rain outside right now. Way different than July 75 F low and has not and will not rain for all month. The colder it is the more stuff I'm gonna carry. If it gets cold enough I might need front bags.

Last edited by Squeezebox; 12-14-15 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-14-15, 05:14 PM
bwgride
Slow Rider

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you don't want to use a front rack, but still need extra volume, some of the bikepacker gear might be a solution. For example

Revelate Designs LLC

Bikepacking Gear ? CHUMBA USA

I've found the handlebar-stem bags to be very useful.

Bikepacking Stem Bags - BIKEPACKING.com

Instead of paying $40 for one of those bags from the bikepacker gear makers, I bought two of these and use three 8" velcro strips to secure them to handlebar and stem

Outdoor Militray Tactical MOLLE Zipper Water Bottle Pouch Bag Carrier Hiking US | eBay

They work very well. Add a handlebar bag or one of the bikepacker handlebar bag-waterproof sacks combo in front, you have 10 to 18 additional liters of storage. That could carry clothes, sleeping bag/quilt, etc, and the stem bags could hold misc such as keys, wallet, extra water bottle, snacks, etc.
Old 12-14-15, 05:55 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 4,002 Times in 2,671 Posts
Originally Posted by mm718
I don't doubt your experience but with my load I haven't had this issue. The bike is fine leaning against store fronts, etc using "brake bands" and when there is nothing around to lean it against I use the click-stand. No issues with stability when the bike is parked although maybe it is an issue with some traditional kickstands or heavy loads.
It is not just parking, parking is generally fine it is sometimes walking with it or dealing with stairs or something like that. For the record I don't use a kickstand.
Old 12-14-15, 05:58 PM
mm718

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is not just parking, parking is generally fine it is sometimes walking with it or dealing with stairs or something like that. For the record I don't use a kickstand.
Yeah, maybe so with the walking. I actually don't have any experience with 4 panniers so I don't have anything to compare it to.
Old 12-14-15, 07:38 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
when camping with 4 bags, it's useful to reserve one front bag for kitchen
gear and food. keep all the food smells in that one bag that can be
hung out of critter reach at night.
Old 12-14-15, 09:18 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
This is the kind of situation where a balance load, front and rear, is appreciated.

On a tour this summer, our route dead ended at these stairs. The road we wanted was at the top. Balance works well when you have to pick up the front end at each step. Otherwise, the tail wags the dog.

Old 12-15-15, 05:35 AM
robert schlatte

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, New Albion Privateer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
As others here have said the Tubus Tara is a relatively simple low rider front rack and simple to install. Just follow the directions. Further, for improved bike handling, it is nice to be able to distribute the load front and rear. Also, you don't have to cram everything into two rear panniers- it makes getting to things much simpler. A pound or two extra is not a deal breaker.
Old 12-15-15, 06:47 AM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
This past summer I toured from Perth to South Australia across "the Nullabore". It was about 2700 km done in 30 days or so. I had 2 front and 2 rear panniers with racks and an Ortlieb dry sack on the rear rack.

In past tours I had a Bob Ibex and dragging it was a dog, PLUS I had too much equipment. On this latest tour, I had everything I needed and a bit extra. Front and rear racks for touring works for me and my next tours will use the same equipment. Everything fit including a Hilleberg Akto tent and -7C North Face sleeping bag, stove, tools, etc. Wine box bladders were used to carry extra water (up to 7 liters)
Old 12-15-15, 07:01 AM
Quarryman32

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Trek Madone 4.7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
A Surly rack for a Surly bike.
Cargo | Parts and Accessories | Surly Bikes
We put Surly racks on our DTs last spring without a problem. (Yes, our LBS was crucial.) Mounting the front fenders, on the other hand, needed some creativity.
Old 12-15-15, 10:18 AM
rifraf

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
There are lots of different opinions on 2 or 4 or more bags/panniers and combinations thereof.
Trial and error to see what works best for you is the only true test and opinions are at the end of the day simply waffle.

If pressed, I'm a proponent of handlebar bag, four panniers and a rack bag, as well an Extrawheel trailer with itself carrying 2 large panniers.
But I take gear many, in different countries more temperate than mine, with towns close together, wouldn't need.

I too lean towards the Tubus racks which in most instances seem to be lighter in weight and carry more in weight for their service than comparable brands.

Whilst I admire the bike packers their fortitude and slimline good looks, I'm in no way tempted by ultralight touring.
I'd be miserable doing without my little luxuries for which I need my above setup to haul.

Good luck with your own decisions OP.
Old 12-15-15, 11:57 AM
mcallaghan

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Merlin Titanium Road

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is my current setup:

Rear panniers and a handlebar bag.

The handlebar bag has snacks, camera, phone, allenkey, patch-kit, map(s), and a windbreaker (for easy access).

My tour in Wales this past summer I found that, even though I had a pair of jeans with me, my panniers were not full. I had clothes in compression sacks, but I probably could have scrounged up some more room in them too. Enough room for perhaps another pair of off-bike shoes and some extra socks etc.

I would be touring during the summer here, so it will probably be rather hot (shorts + lightweight hiking pants instead of jeans) and no need for a warm jacket like I needed in Wales for off the bike. So I can cut down on some bulk that way.

I also have a tarptent and a 15'f Sleeping bag. But I am also a hammock-camper so have a few quilts designed for that. I would expect mostly warm nights so I think I have a top quilt, with footbox, that might work in place of the tent. Maybe get a silk-liner so I feel more tucked in and my back isn't directly against sleeping pad. That would cut down on a little bulk and weight too.

Likewise, I have a small pot that the fuel would fit into. That might make a tight squeeze in a pannier along with food.

A front rack and panniers would add some weight, but then I know I wouldn't be tight on space and can better distribute it on the bike. Especially given that it would be a few thousand feet of climbing and descending each day (colorado rockies and all).
Old 12-15-15, 03:33 PM
psy

Bikes: Salsa Fargo commuter,Litespeed Ocoee titanium mountain bike cannondale caad9 105 road bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Many people who have tried both, myself included, would prefer front lowriders over rear panniers, even if going with just two. Your body weight is over the rear wheel, and putting some weight up front and low really makes the bike rail. Makes the bike hold the ground on steep climbs and is Super stable on fast descents, if that's your thing. Just a thought to throw into your considerations.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.