Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Throat cut by fishing line

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-19, 03:00 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
ATTN: Any riders in Ormand Beach(FL)

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/fi...es-mans-throat

This was mentioned on CNN's website, and posted yesterday on ClickOrlando.com
Old 05-09-19, 06:48 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts

Sounds like the fishing line was tied at neck height intentionally.
I fish for lake trout using downriggers and braided Kevlar line. It is some tough stuff and will cut through skin pretty easily. Much more so that monofilament.
As always, be vigilant out there.

Old 05-09-19, 10:23 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
It really saddens me to see things like this. I cannot understand the pure hatred and malice so many hold for cyclists.

A friend of mine posted something the other day about cyclists, along the line of get your sass out of the roadway before I put your sass in the hospital.
I have known this guy for 20 years. He knows I am a cyclist. Tried to have a discussion with him regarding the law and the clarity therein about a bicycles right to be there. My response from him was that in his opinion I should be (basically) riding in the ditch, never mind the law, because it's an inconvenience to have to slow down or pass safely. My life (or another cyclists) isn't worth his time.
Old 05-09-19, 11:26 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
If somebody sets booby traps like that, it's probably impossible to be vigilant enough to avoid it.

There's some real psychopaths out there.
Old 05-09-19, 11:36 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Florida.
Old 05-09-19, 11:48 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
It really saddens me to see things like this. I cannot understand the pure hatred and malice so many hold for cyclists.

A friend of mine posted something the other day about cyclists, along the line of get your sass out of the roadway before I put your sass in the hospital.
I have known this guy for 20 years. He knows I am a cyclist. Tried to have a discussion with him regarding the law and the clarity therein about a bicycles right to be there. My response from him was that in his opinion I should be (basically) riding in the ditch, never mind the law, because it's an inconvenience to have to slow down or pass safely. My life (or another cyclists) isn't worth his time.
Which begs the question, why are you still his friend? Cuz he sounds like a first class ignorant schmuck db.
Likes For mcours2006:
Old 05-09-19, 11:55 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Which begs the question, why are you still his friend? Cuz he sounds like a first class ignorant schmuck db.
TBH, here is GA there is a LOT of that. Cycling on the roadway in the state was on a major uptrend as far as safety is concerned up to recently. Most of that is due to a lack of attention with people trying to play with their phones instead of driving. Years ago you took your life in your hands to go down the road here. My understanding from reading blogs is that many rural places in the SE are still pretty much that way.

I can disagree with the guy and still be friendly with him due to other interests. It's not to say we eat dinner at each other's house all the time, more of a mutal interest that a group of us has shared over the years.
Old 05-09-19, 04:19 PM
mixteup

Bikes: A Few

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Florida.
Primitive thinking is a national problem ............
Likes For mixteup:
Old 05-10-19, 12:12 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
but this is really disturbing "The couple declined to reveal their identity in fear of retaliation"
Old 05-10-19, 12:24 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
Juan Foote—sounds like you need to find a better class of friend.
Old 05-11-19, 05:13 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote

FWIW I always remind people that they get held up by other cars FAR more than they do by bicycles. That stop and go on the busy interstate ain't because of a bicyclist. The getting caught for 3 cycles at the traffic light in the burbs, ain't because of bicycles. It's soccer moms, people going to McDonalds and otherwise screwing off in their autos. I also ask them what's the longest they have ever been held up by a cyclist. For most people it's mere seconds. I get held up longer than that every time I drive. Just one texter who is sluggish getting off the line at a traffic light, causing me to miss the green will hold me up more than I have been held up by all cyclists over the entirety of my life.

I don't get why so many people can't put the "issue" into proper perspective. It's really not an issue.
Old 05-11-19, 08:26 AM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Public service announcements would work, bicycle coalitions need to start funding them. I belong to several activity oriented national organizations that have been very effective in pushing agendas, getting political support and positive results. The organizations we have now are not sufficient and are not aggressive and apparently under funded.
Old 05-12-19, 02:21 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
FWIW I always remind people that they get held up by other cars FAR more than they do by bicycles. That stop and go on the busy interstate ain't because of a bicyclist. The getting caught for 3 cycles at the traffic light in the burbs, ain't because of bicycles. It's soccer moms, people going to McDonalds and otherwise screwing off in their autos. I also ask them what's the longest they have ever been held up by a cyclist. For most people it's mere seconds. I get held up longer than that every time I drive. Just one texter who is sluggish getting off the line at a traffic light, causing me to miss the green will hold me up more than I have been held up by all cyclists over the entirety of my life.

I don't get why so many people can't put the "issue" into proper perspective. It's really not an issue.
It's their "entitlement," brought on by thinking that "cars own the road."

Yeah, I really do agree with you. No cyclist ever caused the delay commonly known as "rush hour."
Old 05-12-19, 02:25 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Hmmm, time to rig a fiberglass flag pole on the front of bike perhaps?
Old 05-12-19, 03:34 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris0516

This was mentioned on CNN's website, and posted yesterday on ClickOrlando.com

I'm not in Ormond but just north in Palm Coast

Old 05-12-19, 06:39 AM
mixteup

Bikes: A Few

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 27 Posts
I think this thread got side tracked - It's got nothing to do with road cycling, traffic or Juan Foote's jackass friend's opinion - It was a deliberate booby trap set on a bike path - I think if the police viewed it as attempted murder, and maybe issued a small reward for info, it might discourage future "pranks", or maybe even get someone to turn in the trailer trash that did it.

Rant over..... sorry
Likes For mixteup:
Old 05-12-19, 07:13 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
I think when we are personally faced with an incident like this, we have to push the issue with LEOs. Like when someone throws something at you when riding. If it hits you right, you can go down hard and break things or worse. All too often the excuse given is that we cannot do anything. If they're going to use it, then make them earn it.
A couple of years back, some kid threw something at my from a schoolbus coming at me. It hit my arm and left a significant scratch along it. I filed a report and the deputies were very helpful and understanding when I explained that had it hit m in the face, then I'd likely have went down. It improved their awareness of how vulnerable we can be out on the road.
Old 05-13-19, 08:20 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
FWIW
I conclude that for many people, brains consist of sawdust which we know is combustible. Our nearest genetic neighbors are chimpanzees which also easily fly into a rage.
Old 05-14-19, 10:26 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by raceboy
Juan Foote—sounds like you need to find a better class of friend.
Don't know about 'better', but I agree with you in principle. Sadly, Mr. Foote defends the relationship. Maybe that's why things are as bad as they are. Surely more of us are in a position to influence some of this motorist originated hate but do not. My friends do not hate cyclists but I do occasionally see them drift over bike lane lines or drive over bike boxes and I bring it to their attention. But no amount of 'other interests' would allow me to remain friendly with someone that had negative feelings towards cyclists. My wife stopped going to a good hairdresser because while she was in the chair one day the hairdresser got into a heated hatefest with another stylist about cyclists and what is wrong with them and how they should be made to ride on the sidewalk etc. She found somewhere else to cut and color her hair.
Old 05-14-19, 10:30 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
I conclude that for many people, brains consist of sawdust which we know is combustible. Our nearest genetic neighbors are chimpanzees which also easily fly into a rage.
We are equally closely related to Bonobo's and Chimpanzee's. Bonobo's are not nearly as volatile as Chimpanzee's. If being reasonable about things, making love not war, etc. If all that was so ... lame ... why aren't Bonobo's extinct?