Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

CO2 litterbugs

Old 06-10-19, 07:47 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
The difference is, you have no proof of that, because we didn't record ever single event of our young lives. I grew up before the internet, so all of my youthful stupidity exists only in my progressively hazier memory.
Old 06-10-19, 09:31 PM
Al_in_NH

Bikes: Cannondale Cataylist, Giant Toughroad, Specialized Sequoia, KHS Fatbike, Electra Loft

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK

The popular thing to do around here is to bag up one's dog poop, then leave the little plastic bag full of poop next to the trail.

It's popular here too. I wonder who they think is going to come along and pick it up?
Old 06-10-19, 10:12 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
@UniChris I see this kind of jazz in my part of the world too. I do my part, pick it up and take the tube with me back to the bike shop for recycling. Same goes for the CO2. I figure I can always use the good karma points.
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 06-10-19, 11:11 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris

Grr!
Stuff happens, and I end up with unplanned bike repairs on the side of the road.

I try my best to pick up after myself, although perhaps I'll occasionally lose a valve cap or valve nut (unintentionally).

I don't want to get run off with a shotgun for changing a tire on corner of someone's lawn.

Be POLITE.

Also, I wouldn't expect someone to toss their ruined car tire out in my yard.

If not you, what happens to the next cyclist that comes along and has to fix a flat, or chain, or spoke, and encounter the ire of a homeowner that had to pick up the previous cyclist's litter?
Old 06-11-19, 12:13 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4789 Post(s)
Liked 3,915 Times in 2,546 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Banana peels at least will biodegrade...all the others there's no excuse for.
But banana peels on the road can cause crashes. I see quite a few around Portland. When I was racing, you got called out if you were seen leaving a banana peel on the pavement. I did my best to toss them out of sight, but I left my fair share on bushes and fences. I doubt any of those actually caused harm and in a day or two, they weren't calling attention to themselves.
Old 06-11-19, 05:41 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Gee, what's it take to pocket an empty CO2 cartridge?
What does it take to keep a beer bottle in your car and discard it properly?
Old 06-11-19, 06:07 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by NoWhammies
@UniChris I see this kind of jazz in my part of the world too. I do my part, pick it up and take the tube with me back to the bike shop for recycling. Same goes for the CO2. I figure I can always use the good karma points.
Pick up what? Your trash? Or someone else's tubes and CO2 cartridges? Nice that you are doing something but are you also picking up the discarded bottles, cans, fast food wrappers, car tires and used condoms? I don't know if I have ever seen a used C/02 cartridge. I have seen a tube or two over many years of riding. But I have seen plenty of other garbage everyday, discarded by people in cars and trucks.

If you meant your tubes and cartridges then sorry but you are not earning kharma points for that. You are simply doing what you ar esupposed to do.
Old 06-11-19, 06:13 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Americans often get a bad wrap for liter. And deservedly so. But at least we have volunteer cleanup crews here. And for a short while the roads look clean.

I wish I had grabbed a photo of it but I was on a bicycle tour in Italy. There was a road going into Pisa that was just lined with piles of empty water bottles. It was unbelievable.

Along with the empty water bottles was "ladies of the afternoon". I could not believe how many. Never seen anything like it.
Old 06-11-19, 07:08 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker

I wish I had grabbed a photo of it but I was on a bicycle tour in Italy. There was a road going into Pisa that was just lined with piles of empty water bottles. It was unbelievable.

Along with the empty water bottles was "ladies of the afternoon". I could not believe how many. Never seen anything like it.
When I was touring in Spain there was a lot of roadside litter in several places, including relatively rural areas.

As for the latter, when I was on a supported tour in Italy we saw some "ladies" on the day we rode to the Bianchi factory to watch a Giro stage victory. They were at a highway junction and seemed to be doing a decent business.
Old 06-11-19, 07:19 AM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by PaddleFoot
If you see a banana peel it is trash. The person that left it there is a ******.
I often see this short Italian guy in a red cap and overalls tossing banana peels on the road. And sometimes his taller brother in green.

Sociopaths.
Likes For HarborBandS:
Old 06-11-19, 08:13 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by HarborBandS
I often see this short Italian guy in a red cap and overalls tossing banana peels on the road. And sometimes his taller brother in green.

Sociopaths.
Hey, i know of those plumbers! Sling them a turtle to teach them a lesson.
Old 06-11-19, 08:13 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Best thing to do if you want to make a visible difference is have a local cycle club adopt a road on which said group often rides and encounters motorists.

Seeing the sign and seeing people out collecting waste a couple times a year can foster some good will and be giving back.
Old 06-11-19, 08:26 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Best thing to do if you want to make a visible difference is have a local cycle club adopt a road on which said group often rides and encounters motorists.

Seeing the sign and seeing people out collecting waste a couple times a year can foster some good will and be giving back.
I think the volunteers do a wonderful job. The road really looks good at least for a couple of weeks past the cleanup. But I wish local authorities would run a street sweeper down shoulders every once in a while. There is only so much the volunteers can clean and the stuff that is left behind is the real danger to cyclists.

Our shoulders here are a mess. One is really bad where a section of shoulder has been missing for years. It forces me off the shoulder on to a busy road.
Old 06-11-19, 08:41 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Not trying to be funny per se', but I've thought rigging up a leaf blower to our old kid's bike trailer for "street sweep" purposes would be interesting.

It would make being the sweeper for the day pretty literal.

"Hey Mark, it's your turn to be sweep on the C-group today. Ha ha!"
Old 06-11-19, 08:57 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
On the trails I ride I have actually never seen a co2 littered. I have seen everything else though.
Old 06-11-19, 09:07 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
Pick up what? Your trash? Or someone else's tubes and CO2 cartridges? Nice that you are doing something but are you also picking up the discarded bottles, cans, fast food wrappers, car tires and used condoms? I don't know if I have ever seen a used C/02 cartridge. I have seen a tube or two over many years of riding. But I have seen plenty of other garbage everyday, discarded by people in cars and trucks.

If you meant your tubes and cartridges then sorry but you are not earning kharma points for that. You are simply doing what you ar esupposed to do.
Considering I'm stopping my ride to pick up other people's discarded tubes and CO2 cartridges because I don't want all cyclists to be painted with the same brush, I'll keep my Karma points thank you.
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 06-11-19, 09:09 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 695 Times in 434 Posts
I don't do much camping these days, but when I did, the policy my friends and I adhered to was "leave no trace". Damn shame people don't abide by that these days, whether biking, camping, whatever. We'd all be better off if they did.
Old 06-11-19, 09:31 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Considering I'm stopping my ride to pick up other people's discarded tubes and CO2 cartridges because I don't want all cyclists to be painted with the same brush, I'll keep my Karma points thank you.

You are kidding yourself. The very rare discarded tube is the least of the issues other people have with cyclists. I would bet no one even gives it a thought considering all of the other trash on the roads, The main issue is some cyclists not obeying traffic rules. And you are going to fix that.
Old 06-11-19, 10:53 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Hopefully you banana peel tossers are removing the little plastic label on it beforehand!
Old 06-11-19, 01:06 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Yeah, but the bunnies poo all over a vast area, not within 6' of a heavily used trail or sidewalk. If they all pooed where dogs poo, I'd be willing to bet people would be calling for it to be cleaned.
Having owned bunnies, I think most moving cyclists would have a hard time noticing what is smaller than a pea. Plus rabbits do not like to be exposed (like on a MUP itself) to take a nature break, since with predators, it may be their last.

With our dogs we ALWAYS packed out the leavings. You learn to always be prepared. In fact in the year since we lost our dog, we still find the unused bags in jacket pockets, cell phone pouches, etc. 13 months later. Irresponsible pet owners irritate me more than the vaping addicts.
Old 06-11-19, 04:14 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Not trying to be funny per se', but I've thought rigging up a leaf blower to our old kid's bike trailer for "street sweep" purposes would be interesting.

It would make being the sweeper for the day pretty literal.

"Hey Mark, it's your turn to be sweep on the C-group today. Ha ha!"

This isn't a joke photo.

The owner of the blower/quad runs a motorcycle shop and won the Baja 1000 twice. Volunteers use it to clean the Silver Comet Trail in North Georgia which is the second longest paved trail in the US.

cleaning the trail with Santa and his Billy Goat? | the webgeek blog

-Tim-
Old 06-11-19, 04:27 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Yeah, but the bunnies poo all over a vast area, not within 6' of a heavily used trail or sidewalk. If they all pooed where dogs poo, I'd be willing to bet people would be calling for it to be cleaned.
s/bunnies/geese
Old 06-11-19, 07:09 PM
krecik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 54 Posts
​​​​​​​

Last edited by krecik; 01-13-21 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-12-19, 12:57 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by seamuis
Your generation is no stupider than any previous generation when they were your age.
IDK. Snorting nutmeg and eating Tide Pods has set the stupid bar at a new level.
Likes For indyfabz: