Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Were you looking for one of these?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-19, 09:14 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts

1981 Merz touring sold on ebay, $2400

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Vtg-Ji...rdt=true&rt=nc
Old 08-08-19, 10:29 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
Must have been someone's grail bike... Or perhaps even their old bike!
Old 08-08-19, 10:57 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
I’d love to have one, but at that pric I’d still be looking and wishing. This may be one of those bikes that I just never get because I’m you cheap.
Old 08-09-19, 12:02 AM
deux jambes

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 196 Posts
Sure would be a prize! But $2400? I mean, I get it, but then again I don’t.

The one and only Merz frame I’ve had the pleasure of viewing, was hanging in the back of an LBS for some repair. Similar vintage. I don’t know that I’ve personally seen a finer frame. The lugwork, and other treatments throughout were simply beautiful!

Who knows what the buyers motivation for this eBay find was exactly, but twice, I’ve paid more for a bike or frame than I normally would just because of the regional origin of the bike. Well, and the handcrafted quality too. So I can kind of understand from that point of view.

Still, the price of my Eisentraut built up, shouldn’t exceed a third of that of the Merz. Not saying the Merz isn’t worth it, but I can’t see risking a couple grand on the road, or locked up to a public rack.

Anyhow, as a side note, that’s gotta be one of the greatest headbadges ever!

Last edited by deux jambes; 08-09-19 at 12:11 AM.
Old 08-09-19, 01:05 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by Andy_K
I’d love to have one, but at that pric I’d still be looking and wishing. This may be one of those bikes that I just never get because I’m you cheap.
That and they can be hard to find in the correct size, let alone at a price that can make sense.

Jim seems to be the main conduit for them as he posts them on his FB page, this one lasted 1 day.

I would encourage you to keep an eye on it, there have been several that were far more reasonable than this one.

Sellwood cycle is where 3 of mine came from and they weren't cheap but they were way less than this one.

If I had known you might want one, I would have alerted you before now and will from here on.

They are almost never cheap, but if you want one and find one then you may have to bite down hard.

Again, $2400

Old 08-09-19, 01:21 AM
merziac

Originally Posted by deux jambes
Sure would be a prize! But $2400? I mean, I get it, but then again I don’t.

The one and only Merz frame I’ve had the pleasure of viewing, was hanging in the back of an LBS for some repair. Similar vintage. I don’t know that I’ve personally seen a finer frame. The lugwork, and other treatments throughout were simply beautiful!

Who knows what the buyers motivation for this eBay find was exactly, but twice, I’ve paid more for a bike or frame than I normally would just because of the regional origin of the bike. Well, and the handcrafted quality too. So I can kind of understand from that point of view.

Still, the price of my Eisentraut built up, shouldn’t exceed a third of that of the Merz. Not saying the Merz isn’t worth it, but I can’t see risking a couple grand on the road, or locked up to a public rack.

Anyhow, as a side note, that’s gotta be one of the greatest headbadges ever!

I'm glad my first one wasn't priced like that, I would have paid it, gladly and been happy, then sorry later probably. I was so ready by the time I found it that I'm not sure how much would have stopped me, glad I didn't have to find out.

I know of a couple others in my size that I would like to have but the ask is way up and having several in hand already makes them unlikely but you never know. My luck has been good finally, only took forty years to get here. My two "best" ones were about the cost of this one.
Old 08-09-19, 05:51 AM
jethin

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
This may be one of those bikes that I just never get because I’m you cheap.
If your you is me then you’re a cheap bastard indeed.
Old 08-09-19, 07:36 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by jethin
If your you is me then you’re a cheap bastard indeed.
Well, my ‘you’ was supposed to be ‘too’ but either way works.
Old 08-09-19, 08:26 AM
since6

Bikes: Stevenson Custom, Stevenson Custom Tandem, Nishiki Professional

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 128 Posts
To me such purchases have the blessing of a functional piece of art to be enjoyed in both the riding or just having it near to light up the day. It's hopefully a purchase of passion and will give a life time of enjoyment.

Now this is opposed to the current range of $7,000+ toilets with remote controls:

And $1,000+ remote controlled toilet seats:

All I can think of when I see this kind of techno excess where the toilet becomes an anthropomorphic creature which lights up when you enter the bathroom at night and then opens its lid like a monster, think the Flower from "Little Shop of Horrors" , and begins to play music, vibrate, etc. is that this is a real good way for my grandchildren to NEVER enter a bathroom again let alone be potty trained.

Though one feature of the remote is of note, after a domestic dispute if she is still not content with the outcome:"Hmmmm, a remote, ah yes he's on the throne, let's see, cue up "Death Metal", "Volcano Vibration" Oh and yes, "Max Bidet Super Pulser".....Engage!"
Likes For since6:
Old 08-09-19, 08:38 AM
jethin

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 158 Posts
You and me can mints words all day @Andy_K, but even if your you could've been too it's still true that maybe you and me too are cheap. And I don't appreciate your you or too making me call me cheap too.
Old 08-09-19, 12:18 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
Originally Posted by jethin
You and me can mints words all day @Andy_K, but even if your you could've been too it's still true that maybe you and me too are cheap. And I don't appreciate your you or too making me call me cheap too.
thanks for the headache

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 08-09-19, 12:59 PM
merziac

We're all cheap b******s for the most part. When it comes to something like this you have to decide if you can put that aside for a moment. The very nature of being cheap, thrifty, frugal or whatever should mean you can go outside or way outside your comfort zone from time to time if you want.
Old 08-09-19, 02:08 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
That's a crazy price, with crazy shipping cost as well. Seller obviously not a bike person but an estate sale cruiser.

Unless we know who actually bought it, would not be surprised to see it relisted by the original seller in the near future.
Old 08-09-19, 02:27 PM
deux jambes

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr

Unless we know who actually bought it, would not be surprised to see it relisted by the original seller in the near future.
It’s definitely possible that there is no buyer for that sale, or that if there is, the transaction may not be made to completion.

I’ve noticed lots of eBay “completed sales” come back up to market again by the original seller. Often multiple times.

Also, with 94% positive feedback, and a not so very detailed description of the bike, I’m skeptical anyone would put that much money out. But who knows? Maybe there’s more to the story than meets the eye, and it involves someone with whom money is not too much of an object.
Old 08-09-19, 03:00 PM
merziac

That's a crazy price, with crazy shipping cost as well. Seller obviously not a bike person but an estate sale cruiser.

Agreed, still interesting to see what goes on, very well could/should be in the wacky thread.
Old 08-09-19, 05:02 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,047 Times in 1,253 Posts

+1

Also, seller has a poor feedback with a small sample of random sales of flotsam and jetsam. Wouldn't trust him to pack the bike.
Old 08-09-19, 07:45 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
+1

also, seller has a poor feedback with a small sample of random sales of flotsam and jetsam. Wouldn't trust him to pack a $2500 bike that he charged almost $500 to ship.
fify